Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Secret or Sharing? - Your budget

Joey, on June 3, 2019 at 08:30 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 31

Who is keeping their budget a total secret, and who doesn't mind discussing it with vendors, WeddingWire members, and even friends and family?

Is your wedding budget a secret or not?

Secret or Sharing? - Your budget 1

Photo by Zahra Zaman Photography in Halifax

>>Click here to go to the next question: Your menu

>>Click here to start over: Secret or Sharing?

31 Comments

Latest activity by Steph, on September 11, 2019 at 01:32
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm happy to discuss our budget, it's an expensive day and theres a lot of planning and work going into it
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mixed. I don't mind talking about it here on the forums or with vendors, but I have generally been keeping the budget figures hush-hush from the family and friends. More to keep the comments of 'OMG, you spent that...." or "I personally would have done this and spent more/less....". We are paying for everything ourselves, so there is also no need to share the budget with a lot of people we know.

• Sheri-Lyn
    Frequent user May 2022 Ontario
    Sheri-Lyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our Budget isn't really a secret, but we are not offering information about budget and prices of things to anyone only some people will probably ask. We have shared the prices with my parents for venue and a few items so far. But for others it is not really their business and I know there will be some of our friends that might say "omg you spent that much on that" and I really hate that. As I know I wanted to hire a planner, and we did hire one, she is a close friends sister and I was told of you don't need to hire a planner, you can save that money and do everything yourself.. but we knew having my friends sister helping us was going to be worth the extra money to not stress about anything the day of and even for help with things with planning. So not really offering too much information because we don't want to hear our friends judging us about the price of some things.

• Tina
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not really a secret, but not really offering it up either. Only parents and my sisters really know, and even then it's ballpark.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its not a secret but I don't like when people say "omg how much money did you spend on that" like its none of their business haha but we just say "our parents have been super helpful"

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is for sure a taboo topic, but it makes me giggle bc there is such a struggle btwn not wanting to spend a fortune but also wanting to impress your guests. I don't openly share my budget but if asked i would be honest.
  • Michelle
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's not a secret, but I don't just randomly talk about it either. My closer people know a ballpark of where I'm at within a few thousand, particularly parents.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Secret for the most part. We told our vendors what our budget was for them and we talked to our parents about the overall budget but no one else.

• Melissa
    Curious September 2020 British Columbia
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Secret. In general I don't feel comfortable discussing money with people unless it is for practical reasons.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Only few people know the budget, this is more personal. Agree with kelly, people know we are paying for it and no one has asked.

• Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our budget isnt necessarily a secret but we are paying for most of it and people just haven’t asked much as it’s not their place
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom knew but other then that it was pretty much a secret.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's mostly a secret. We haven't spilled the tea on how much the entire wedding is costing us yet.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s not a secret, yet it’s also not the first thing i share with people unless they ask
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not super secretive but I also don’t go shouting it out. I know it can be super helpful to be able to compare with other brides
  • K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mostly a secret other than parents knowing
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Secret. I may give a range if any close friends or family asks, but I think it's just our and our parents' business.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Shared with family as to seeing where the money is being spent and where to buying things. My outfit was bought by my parents.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like to keep it a secret if at all possible.

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I try to keep it a secret. No one has full out asked and if they do I may give a range. Money is a tough one. I like to be open about it but at the same time it kind of is a private matter.
  • Kathy
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Secret. If I’m cornered by my family I’ll just give them a figure.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We shared with a few people, mostly after the wedding though and during natural conversation; we don’t just blurt it out!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Secret. No one needs to know how much we are or are not spending.
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're keeping this secret. It's not really anyone's business except for our own. Money can be a hot topic so I fear that if we were to share we'll either be judged for being frivolous overspenders or judged for being cheap by someone.

• Jenna
    Frequent user February 2021 Nova Scotia
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not really bothered by anyone asking me this. No one has though..
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Secret. That is no one's business but ours. On here is shared a rough budget but I think if a friend were to ask if be a bit offended because that's not somet you ask someone.
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    SECRET. This is nobody's business but ours. Even our parents don't know the precise numbers.
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I honestly am not really bothered to discuss my budget. Nobody has really asked though, so I don't care to just go out and tell them lol

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We've kept our budget under wraps. It's none of anybody's business other than our own.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are mainly keeping the budget to close family and vendors. I don't feel the need to tell other people. The main question I have gotten is "how much is it per plate" which I don't mind telling people because a lot is included in that price, but they don't know that !

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well here on Wedding Wire it isn't Smiley tongue But the only time that this is brought up is when people ask "why are you guys having a wedding outside the city?" - uhhhhh because it cost's over $30,000 inside the city and we can easily shave off $10,000 by moving it 45 min away???

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics