Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Marcy
Frequent user October 2020 Saskatchewan

Second Time Brides - Bad Vibes from Family??

Marcy, on January 26, 2020 at 22:33 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10

Any brides out there planning their second wedding/marriage? My first marriage ended almost 10 years ago. Then, a few years later, I met the love of my life and we are so excited to get married in October. Since we got engaged and started planning our excited has been dimmed by my family's lack of excitement. Some have made comments essentially saying it's not that important, because its my second time around. One of uncles - who I've been incredibly close to my entire life, told us he's planning a vacation with his wife at that time and isn't planning to attend - he let us know this when we asked him to be our master of ceremonies for the night. Smiley sad We are excited to be experiencing this milestone together and we want to share our excitement with everyone, but when we bring it up no one is interested in hearing our plans for the day. We are both financially independent and are paying for everything ourselves, so there's no burden on anyone financially. We're also getting married in my hometown, which is close for everyone to attend. I guess I'm just a bit disappointed...I feel like I still have to pay for this mistake that I made a decade ago.

10 Comments

Latest activity by Amelia, on January 29, 2020 at 22:00
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I cannot imagine not being happy and excited for someone at such an important time in their life. People really suck! I wouldn't want anyone at our wedding who wasn't supportive and happy for us, and if they did this I would count it as their loss.
    I hope that all of us can support you and try to make up for any less than enthusiastic people in your life.
  • Marcy
    Marcy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh gosh, it sounds like you know EXACTLY what im feeling. I just wish someone could pretend to be interested, you know? I’m here too, if you ever need to PM. We’re not alone! Smiley smile
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Omgggg im so sorry about your family!! this is horrible to hear. if it makes you feel any better this is my third engagement (two previous i called off however we hadnt set a date or did anything) and when i told my mom i was engaged all she said was "oh" ive never set a wedding date ever until now and it seems no one gives a crap. my mom hasnt offered help or done anything. even when i visit she doesnt ask about planning or how were doing or anything and this is both of our first wedding. sorry to hear. i feel the same way. all my cousins are already married and everyone my age is married theyre all mostly having their second kids so no one even talks about weddings or asks about mine all they talk about is kids - so i completely understand you. im here if you need to PM me. Smiley heartSmiley heartSmiley heart

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This was our second wedding as well. We had some that were less than enthusiastic, but most were so ecstatic, and that's what we focussed on. We had a small guest list and had the day that we wanted - wouldn't change a thing.

"Those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind." Smiley smile

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Focus on the ones who are excited for you. I know it's totally harder than it seems
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sadly I felt just as tossed to the side and this is my first time around getting married... Not sure what it was with my family but most of them did not make an effort to attend.. Really lets you know who is the family you should surround yourself with. Also not going to lie, having some of them not care or not try and make it made me cry a couple times but at the end of the day they aren't worth it. If they can't be there for you right now at a good time... I like the saying "if you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best" - but this is one of the best times of your life and if they aren't there for that.... then I'm not sure what they would be there for... Sorry you're going through this, but it's best to cut out the negativity right from the start. If anything I would just say to have a heart to heart with those who aren't happy for you that you were close to like you uncle. Try and explain just how much him not caring or attending hurts you. If he has nothing to say to that... well... It's going to suck, but you don't need him.

• Marcy
    Marcy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You’re right! We will be grateful for this who do want to be there, and it will mean a lot to us that they came. Thank you Smiley smile
  • Marcy
    Marcy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I guess I know that, maybe it’s just me expecting too much out of them. FH and I are super excited and I need to remind myself that’s all that matters!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm sorry you are going through this. I'm getting married for the second time (my family didn't approve of first marriage) so they are excited for me this time. I think any wedding is going to have those who put a damper on your happiness. Don't let them get to you. This marriage is important, your relationship is important and should be celebrated.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The excitement of your second marriage doesn't feel the same as your fist. It is disappointing to hear the bad thoughts and family members not attending your day die to their plans.
    The idea of you planning all the day expenses as a couple and not with your family makes it tough. Its disappointing to not have their support wanting when you need it. Still be greatful for those guests that will show up and continue without thinking twice about the bad things and thoughts.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics