Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Newbie August 2020 Alberta

Seating chart or no seating chart that is the question?

Courtney, on February 19, 2020 at 12:58 Posted in Wedding reception 0 17
Hey ladies I am in need of some advice!
Im trying to figure out which would be better a seating plan I put together or letting your guests choose a seat themselves?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Margaret, on March 22, 2020 at 15:14
  • Margaret
    Curious December 2021 Ontario
    Margaret ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im doing a seating chart to help stay organized. Any persons with dietary requests will have their seats and the servers will know who
  • J. M.
    Curious September 2020 Ontario
    J. M. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We don’t have to have a seating chart- I guess a name tag on placement? The venue needs to know how many chicken prime rib etc per table so I guess we have to know kinda who’s sitting where in whatever way we chose to display that is up to us 😊
  • Lussierk00@outlook.com
    Curious January 2020 Manitoba
    Lussierk00@outlook.com ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For sure have a seating chart! You don't have to do place cards for every seat, but at least assign your guests to a certain table. It's human nature for people not to sit with people they don't know, so everyone I going to want to find their own table. You will find you will have lots of tables with 4 or 5 guests but barely any that are full, but then what if a family of 6 comes in and can't find a table because so many people decided to take the empty ones. It's better off to force people to sit with people they don't know, but make sure everyone has at least someone they do know at their table to feel more comfortable!
  • Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I 100% agree with Kelly. Plus, a seating chart gives priority seating to your important guests, like your immediate family. You wouldn't want your parents, for example, seated at the back of the room where they can't see you.
  • Kimberly
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For my seating chart just doing table assignments as I don't want people to have to site beside someone they might not want to.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have strong opinions on this lol. Please don't do an open seating plan. Its confusing and stressful for your guests. You'll also need extra tables and chairs so that all the "groupings" get to sit together (say a couple arrives late and there's only 1 chair left at table 4 and 1 chair left at table 13....well...that would kinda suck right?)

I follow this wedding planner on youtube. Her videos are great. she gives pros and cons for all the seating options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQgUdyL9b2E

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think a seating plan is the easiest way to go, especially if you are having a bigger wedding. This way you don't have a whole bunch of people wanting to all sit at one table, and then one table being super empty.

We did assigned tables, but not seating. This way guests knew who they were sitting with, but could pick who they would sit beside

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Seating chart is great to way to have your guests know where they are heading into reception hall. It prevents particular guests not near each other you know not getting along.
  • Elizabeth
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I looovvveee seating charts! You and your FH know the guests best so if you can intermingle cousins, grandparents, high school friends from both sides you’re going to have a great atmosphere!
  • ALIDA
    Newbie July 2021 Quebec
    ALIDA ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A seating plan will be better and you and your fiancee know the guest so it will be easy and fun to do.You can even to that with your family member.
    Anyway people can switch place to chat with each other after.
    Cheers,
  • Kristen
    Devoted May 2021 British Columbia
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just decided today im going to have a table reserved for parents. And rather than a chart im having a sign that will say "sit with someone you know or someone new, the choice is up to you!"

Seating charts are a headache to me haha
  • Christina
    Curious August 2022 Ontario
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are using a seating chart for our reception to minimize and separate family drama, ensure guests who don’t know each other are seated next to people with whom they have much in common, etc. We have family tables, couples, singles mixers, young people etc. I’m hoping it all works out!
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a seating chart because my parents are divorced. My father gets along with everyone, however my mother is making a big deal of having to sit near him. Plus my dad's side is Italian and my FH has some family from Holland so we are sitting people together that speak the same language. If it wasn't for those things, I don't think we would have done a seating chart solely for the fact that it is some added stress for sure and time consuming.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say that if they are round tables - make a rough seating chart with people to a table, and if they are rectangle tables with lots of room to let them find their own. We had 200 people at our wedding and that's after we had about a dozen no-shows/ last minute cancellations... so our seating chart would have left like 2 people at a table for 8... and then random missing spots... so we just gave up when it came to that. Worked out fine - but we had extra seats.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What Amelia suggested is great! Also keep in mind of type of meal you're having though. If you're having a plated dinner then some caterers require you to label who is sitting where so the servers know who gets which kind of meal. I had to read my caterer's contract very carefully to even see that part.

• C
    Newbie August 2020 Alberta
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That helps alot thank you! Smiley smile
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would have a rough "here's your table" kind of chart for a few reasons.
    1. People may not have room for their group at a table without a plan. Like if 4 people are looking for seats and the only ones left are at separate tables. This is especially risky if you have any single guests coming that can throw off the even numbered seats.
    2. You can put people who don't know anyone with people you think they wot get along with. If Uncle Joe and your new Brother-in-law love to fish they might love to sit together!3. You can sidestep potential drama. If there is a family squabble leading up to the wedding you can make sure that those people are seated far away from one another to help keep the peace!
    Hope this helps!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics