Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tori
Top October 2019 Manitoba

Season of Engagement Photo's

Tori, on July 14, 2018 at 00:31 Posted in Before the wedding 0 28

Looking as some of the discussions that have been posted I have started to second guess when I am suppose to take engagement pictures... I had wanted them in the fall so they match our wedding pics but now it looks like most people say to 1. take them right away which we can't now.. or 2. take them in the opposite season so you have a different look than your wedding photo's. What is everyone doing / what have people done?

28 Comments

Latest activity by Julia, on July 26, 2018 at 03:49
  • Julia
    Frequent user June 2019 Alberta
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think the season really matters, we are getting married next June and having our photos done this August. we waited a year after we got engaged before planning our engagement photos because we wanted to make sure that we were using the same photographer as we will be for our wedding, kind of like a trial run. We are doing both our wedding and engagement photos outside in forest like settings. I don't think there are very many rules about engagement photos these days. do whatever works best for you

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We wanted to have some difference in my pictures, we are getting married in March so there may be snow and everything just looks more grey. We did our engagement picture in early July so it had lots of bright greens and blooming flowers.

• Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We wanted a different look than our wedding shots which just happened to work out. Our engagement was during cherry blossom spring season in Van and we got mountains, city, Chinese garden and cherry blossoms. A real contrast to the vast desert, winery and lake pics for our wedding. Just happened that our photog from our destination was in Van for spring break and we booked our shoot then. Otherwise I wouldnt have been fussed to have our engagement shoots in the same locale. Either way they will be beautiful!

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is so amazing that he even thought to get a photographer for the proposal!!! They are definitely amazing engagement photos! Love it!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Tori,

I had the same problem when trying to figure out engagement pictures. I booked my photographer with that in mind to make sure i had the same people shooting my engagement and wedding.

We are getting married October 2019, so I wanted something different than fall pictures. I also want to use our engagement pictures in our Save the Dates. So we are doing ours at the end of August to give a late summer/early fall look.

But in the end, it is completely up to what you and your FH would like. Engagement photos are beautiful regardless of when you do them Smiley smile

• Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I also wanted fall engagement photos because where we live is absolutely beautiful in the fall. We scheduled and took these photos before we even booked our wedding photographer. We are getting married 5 hours from where we live so we wanted to use photographers local to the area.

When we did finally book our wedding photographer, part of our package included engagement photos, so we opted to do them in the spring so we would have 2 completely different sets of photos.

I didn't care as much about how they would flow with our wedding photos, I chose a time a year that we liked and went from there. If you want to have them in the fall, then that's what I would do.

Fall Engagement PhotoSeason of Engagement Photo's 1

Spring Engagement PhotoSeason of Engagement Photo's 2

• Jessica
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it really just matters what you want your engagement pictures to look like ! i wouldn't worry too much about having them match. I initially wanted mine done in the fall when we got engaged because i LOVE the fall, but it didn't work out and we ended up doing them in the middle of winter and they turned out amazing and were fun to shoot , we were able to get some cool shots of us skating and stuff . I do not regret it at all, i kind of like the idea that my engagement pics are winter and my wedding pictures will be early fall

• Krista-Lee
    Beginner September 2019 Alberta
    Krista-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My Fiancé has a photographer when he proposed! The pictures were great so we will just stick with those! I think the sooner the better! Get the photos done now and enjoy posting and getting ready to become a wife Smiley smile

Season of Engagement Photo's 3

Season of Engagement Photo's 4

Season of Engagement Photo's 5
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a gorgeous picture! I think I need to take my engagement pictures in the winter now, too lol.

• Missa
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Missa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married in the summer and our engagement pics are also during the summer as well. We are doing a “date night theme” for our engagement pics in my favorite wine bar restaurant and then we’ll do sunset at the beach. This way i get 2 different styles regardless of the season!
  • Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did opposite look, fiancé's choice actually! I really didn't care either way we only did them because they were included in our photography price we've been engaged for almost 10 years! Lol
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We took ours in the winter and are having a summer wedding.. doesn’t matter to me, I matched them to our wedding by wearing the same colors and chose a dress that looked sorta vintage Smiley smile

Season of Engagement Photo's 6
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did ours almost this time last year...at the exact same venue as where we're having our reception. it also worked well. do what works for you.
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There was any rhyme or reason with our photos. We got engaged in October 2017 and we are getting married in October 2018. I didn’t want photos in the winter so we had settled for early April but the date we were schedule was an ice storm so we had to postpone to May. It was a bit later than I wanted but the photos turned out really well. I would just do what feels good for you and your FH.

Season of Engagement Photo's 7

Season of Engagement Photo's 8
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do what you want.
    We are doing fall E photos.
    We are having a summer wedding.
    I wanted fall. Cuz its a bit warmer here. And winter was a no go. Cuz i hate winter
  • Amber
    Newbie August 2019 British Columbia
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re getting married in the summer of 2019, so we’re doing our engagement photos this fall. I like the idea of our engagement and wedding photos being two different seasons. I think as we grow older I’ll appreciate the variety.
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Fall is gorgeous for engagement photos, and wedding photos! We took ours right away so I didn't even choose it because of the season, ours were taken in mid October. They were really pretty because of the fall scenery. It may not be a bad idea to take your engagement photos a different season from your wedding photos. But I don't think its a big deal if you have two different venues.

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did ours in the opposite seasons and it worked out okay, I’m doing a retake with a friend photographer in August.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Tori, I got engaged October 2017 and getting married October 2019. October is a significant time for us as our dating anniversary is in there as well lol. We're getting our photos in October 2018 on our 3 year anniversary. If you want them done in October, go for it! There's no right or wrong lol

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Engagement pictures can be anytime you choose during the year. Places depend on where your looking and wheather.

Outdoors are nice during the summer and fall to get the beautiful nature scenery. Lightweight clothing makes it easy to move around.

Indoors work for the winter and spring seasons to bring in that light and feeling of what your aiming to acheive (rustic, modern, classic, etc.) overall.
  • Breanne
    Frequent user September 2019 Alberta
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey Tori! 😊

My fiancé and I got engaged August 2017. Our wedding is September 2019. We are doing our engagement photos mid-September 2018. Originally we had planned to do them in June, but we both decided we would prefer an early fall vibe to our photos. We still plan on using them for Save the Dates (which will hopefully be around the end of September/beginning of October). So essentially we will have fall-ish engagement pictures and fall-ish wedding photos as well! But we don’t mind since that is our favourite season, and the season that we met and started dating.

When we were looking at engagement photo ideas, we both loved the look of doing something outdoors with the beautiful changing colours, so this definitely swayed our decision!

Ultimately, I would say do what works for you as a couple. I don’t think there’s a “rule book” for this sort of thing. And congrats by the way!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged in December! Taking our photos next week! And getting married in May next year!
    Honestly what ever suits you the best do it! If you want opposite seasons go for it! It not! Then dont!
    Most people get them earlier I find to include a photo in their Save the Dates (what were doing and I want to send the save the dates in August!)
    We are also getting more engagement photos done in September just for the heck of it!
    Honestly these pictures are more for you and you fiance than anyone else! Do what's best for you and what you want to use them for!

We are doing photos next week in the distillery district (city vibe) and then September will be in a park (garden vibe) we just wanted more variety to look back on!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got our engagement photos 2 months before our wedding. I didn’t want winter photos, and we basically have winter and summer here in Alberta! Haha
  • Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did ours recently, in the forest. Originally we were going to do city photos since we are getting married in the mountains but decided to do a “camping” session! Do what you want!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a late spring wedding but had a mid winter/Christmas engagement shoot. We booked our photographer a few months after we got engaged and had our shoot about 6 months after we got engaged. We picked the time based on the Christmas light display in our hometown. I agree with everyone else, just pick what's available for you and your fiance to do, what you prefer etc..
    The engagement shoot really has nothing to do with your wedding or the theme etc..it's all about you, your fiance and your engagement so really anything works!
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think for the most part people pick what is generally their favourite season! I dont think Timing matters unless you need your pictures for save the dates or something g!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged Dec 2017 as well, but getting married Jan 2018. Doing our engagement photos next week.
    I think you should do them whatever time of year you want! Our engagement is only 12 months, so we kind of had to do it opposite to the wedding. However I looooove fall fashion, and would have loved to do a mountain shot, with the leaves changing colour, wearing cute boots and jeans and a sweater or pea coat...
    Do it in the season you like best!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

(Got engaged in December 2017 and wedding is in October 2019)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics