Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Saying no - one thing you weren't able to include in your wedding

Joey, on December 12, 2017 at 08:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 26

Whether it was due to budget, time, or logistics, I'm betting there is something you wanted to include in your wedding that you just weren't able to make work. Maybe something you dreamed of was hard to find, or maybe it didn't match with your theme. What did you have to say no to?

giphy.gif

26 Comments

Latest activity by Taylor, on January 5, 2018 at 13:19
  • Taylor
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We said no to videographer and photo booth.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just yesterday my venue mentioned that they have someone who can do fireworks if we're interested. My FH is obsessed with them, he does fireworks literally every possible occasion. Given, we are getting married in greenhouse setting so I know that they would look absolutely stunning through the glass roof but we am not taking things out of our already full budget for them.

We came to an agreement that if he wants them he has to come up with the funds for them (he is a financial adviser so he could potentially do it with a few large scale clients). We will see...

• Joy
    Beginner July 2018 Ontario
    Joy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Had to say no to photo booth, flower wall and videographer. Our venue in Niagara is beautiful but expensive, lol. Despite this I still feeling good about everything.
  • Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We've been pretty lucky so far. We've had to not say no to anything. BUT that's prob why we're going to be close to $20,000 for 45-50 guest haha ugh our venue alone makes up a huge chunk of that amount, then the catering and photographer.
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In this stage of our planning, (2 months into being engaged and our wedding isn't until 2019) we haven't had to say no to anything just yet. Though my FH seems to be VERY involved in the wedding. I suggest colours and he's like, nah... lol do you want to this... no., or how about we do this... noooo. But until we actually start booking there will be no more "no" coming from his mouth. hahah

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh dont get me wrong! We are for sure saving money... I think we will be able to do our entire wedding with 160 guests and open bar for under $9,000... But most of that comes from penny pinching elsewhere rather than the outdoor venue. The tents,lighting, tables,chairs,linens and portapotties literally make up half the cost of our wedding....
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It is for sure and we can do what we can afford. Some things are not possible to go forward as planned.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I bought all of my stuff second hand (cheaper than renting) and that still costs an arm and a leg. I bought myninvitations and guestbook on sale on vistaprint and shutterfly. No I didn't approach students, I approached people "starting out" when it came to videography and it was still pricey so we decided to pass. And we indulged on our photographer because our photgrapher is one of the best in our area and that's what we wanted. Honestly, I don't think there is much more I can do from a budgeting standpoint lol. When your having a wedding, you spend a lot of money fortunately and unfortunately at the same time but in the end it's definitely worth it 😜
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Everyone has a good view of point. Has the thought of rentals and online shopping come across to save tons of money than retail stores? I did thise things and would be surprised. Anyone for videography ask students in programs to save half the cost. Same for photography. Vistaptint can help too by saving than those companies at shows. Give these ideas a try and see what a difference it will make fir your day.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I totally understand! But when you think of it, a hotel reception in a big hall is crazy expensive so I'm sure your still saving a bit of money 😄... For some reason those places add up too. I hope it turns out though!! I'm sure it will be beautiful!
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    String lights. They’re 600-1500 at our venue which is ridicuuuulous cause they’re literally just Xmas lights prob from Canadian tire
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I cant believe how expensive our outdoor reception is turning out to be... And we are going with BARE MINIMUM... Im talking no dance floor... Disposable plates/cutlery... Self catering...Minimal decor... I did not do a ton of research before we decided thats what we were doing and we probably overall arent saving as much money as we thought...
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't had to say no to too much. For me it's mostly been that I need to think what things are just extras for the sake of having.

For example: I was going to do a flip flop basket as I do like the idea of it. But it really wasn't a make or break for us, and as it stands, weddings are expensive so I'm cutting that out.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aw! I want one too!! Can I rent it after you have yours?!? Lol 😉
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was wanting one at first too!! But the tents and dance floor rental and factor in the washrooms. Totally get where you are coming from!
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Me too! They are so pricey! Seems like a popular answer for this forum.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I said no to a videographer, I kind of want one still but my fiancé isn't interested.
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So far, the things i've said no to:
    tiara
    veil
    the thought of a "red wedding" theme from GoT (the one where everyone dies!)
    letting the groomsen bring Airsoft related things.. i'd rather see them carry mock lightsabers!

hahahaha
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm with Erin. I never really had to say no to anything. We've found ways to incorporate the things we wanted into our big day and made it work with our budget!

• Kait
    Curious August 2018 Ontario
    Kait ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé wants a smaller wedding party, so more bridesmaids was my thing I had to say no to!
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wanted a videographer but we definitely could not afford that!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A limo. We decided to rent a vehicle instead (hoping to find a more premium vehicle than either of us drive). There is actually a local company that rents Bentley's and Audi's and high end cars like that, so we will look into the price to see if it is actually cheaper.

• Leah
    Newbie October 2018 Ontario
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had to say no to my dream venue because of where his family lives, they wouldn't come/travel that far for the wedding. Which was fine as long as I found something comparable. We did. But we make our guest list and trying to narrow it down on who we think for sure will and who for sure won't come... Guess what? His entire family is basically on a "probably not" list.... Am I frustrated? Yes. But it's okay because we might do it at my dream venue after all.

I also wanted to have a reception, but because we can't afford one because hardly anyone in our family is being supportive. So we are having a ceremony, then dinner with parents and wedding party, and then party bus with wedding party. Which means I don't get to have the father daughter dance, I don't get to have my first dance with my husband to our song. I feel like I shouldn't even be having a wedding at this point.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    An outdoor reception.

It’s something I’ve always wanted, but I know it’s not realistic based on budget and location.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm not sure I really had to give up anything. I worked with my budget and was very happy with the result.

• Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If we are going all out here, definitely a Cinderella Pumpkin carriage!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics