Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelsie
Master July 2021 Ontario

“Saving” Your Date! Let’s hear all of the details!

Kelsie, on July 8, 2019 at 15:37 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 46
Hello fellow brides (and grooms!)!

I'm quickly approaching our one year to go mark and I love reflecting back on all of the details surrounding choosing (or “saving”) our date!

We knew we wanted a summer wedding, ruled out June due to the school year (lots of guests are teachers) and August as the weather can be sometimes unpredictable!

We wanted a saturday wedding which gave us a few dates in July! The end of July is close to my grandfathers 97th (and will be 98th next year!) birthday and the beginning of July is too close to the holiday weekends when we are away at the family cottage with the rest of most of our guest list! So we picked July 18, 2020!

Id love to hear how everyone picked their dates and all the details!

How did you pick your date? Was it a special season? A special anniversary?

With your date in mind, was it widely available for your vendors? Or did you have issues with your date being unavailable?

Have you had any “countdown” celebrations to your big day?!

Cant wait to hear from everyone!

46 Comments

Latest activity by Chelsea, on July 15, 2019 at 22:34
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    June 20, 2020 was one of my choices too because it looked nice written down!! i ended up choosing June 6, 2020 so it would be 06/06/2020
  • Amanda
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    October 19, 2019.

I liked the way it sounded, and future hubby liked the idea of a cool fall wedding. We were back and forth between October 19, 2019 or June 20, 2020. I just like the way the numbers looked.

We talked about if it was something we'd be able to do (plan in a year), we agreed, so I figured let's ask my dream vendors if they're available and we can decide from there.

My dream photo and video team were both available for 19/10/19 so we booked them asap! And that's how we picked our day.

Turns out his parents got married on October 13 and his grandparents got married October 24! So we are nice middle date. Keeping an October wedding in the family!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s so cute! Love that! We are getting married 3 days after my parents anniversary!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    8 days before our wedding!! I’m a little biased so I love your date!! 😂
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s great you found a date that compromised your FHs schooling but is also a date you love!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lots of our guests are in the teaching/school field as well so we took that into consideration!!

Love the “8”’s in your date - so cute! Not cheesy at all!!
  • Vanny
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We really wanted a summer wedding and my fiancé was very keen on having a 2020 wedding but June was out of the picture because I'm an ECE and follow the school calendar where I work so there's no way June would've been an option. I was even contemplating to have our wedding in September because his dad passed away and his birthday is in Sept so I wanted to honour him that way, but again, it would've been hard to plan because of school starting and I didn't want that added stress of booking anything off. We preferred later on in the summer so we chose August over July. This may sound kinda cheesy but we chose to get married on the 8th because 8 can also symbolize the infinite sign which stands for eternity and everlasting love Smiley smile so there's meaning behind our numbered day! I'm so so so so thrilled we got our date! August 8 2020 Smiley smile
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s so awesome! 10 years wow! Congratulationsn
  • R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've been with my FH for 9.5 years now. When things got serious and we started talking about marriage it was around the 7-8 year mark (we're highschool sweethearts) and I always said id love to do it on our 10 year anniversary which was a saturday (Nov 9 2019). So when we got engaged in march we decided to do it on our 11th to give us time to save/plan. But my FH caved and said lets do it this year!
  • Monique
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Monique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We really wanted a significant date so at first we started with September 26th 2020 because we started dating December 26 2015. But then we realized that my FH would be starting university midterms and we wouldn't be able to go on a honeymoon until later. So then we decided on August 21 2020 because it'll be 18 months after we get engaged with enough time for our honeymoon and for things to settle before he returns to uni.
  • Sadia
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So FH and I are both south-Asian Muslims, and while May would’ve been my ideal wedding month, it falls right in the middle of Ramadan. We then decided on the second week of June but it was too close to the end of Ramadan and we would have been scrambling to get things ready, and my FSIL would still be finishing up her high school exams.
    I definitely did NOT want a wedding on July 1st — I don’t like the idea of having guests blow off their long weekend plans to come to a wedding. Ultimately, we decided on july 10, 2020. That’s our reception. Our ceremony will be the Friday before that, July 3, 2020. So we kind of get to have two dates for ourselves!
    After all the hustle and bustle of struggling to pick dates, I’m really happy with the ones we chose!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks!! I love how it looks too!

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH and I had settled on Fall 2020 as soon as we got engaged and my birthday is in September so we decided on early October since the weather won't be too cold yet.

My mom suggested October 10th since it's the anniversary of when she and my dad met and we really loved that

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yea, it was much cheaper! The venue, and room costs were literally almost half price from summer prices.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Almost date twins! We’re July 18 and you’re in January! 😂 so funny!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The summer holidays make it hard for sure. It’s hit or miss with guests I find!

I’m sure you’re going to have a fantastic turn out though!!! You’re so so close!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s crazy how a few weeks after labour day is cheaper!

My FSIL got married on the labour day weekend last year and it was so hot! You’ll have great weather I’m sure.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s interesting you have two dates! Your legal ceremony date is great with all the 2’s!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh my gosh!! You are so close!!!

I love the numbers for your date! It just looks cool, if that makes sense 😂
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s awesome you were able to use your different milestones to pick your wedding date!!

We started dating on my birthday - I didn’t want our anniversary to be overshadowed by my birthday so we ruled ours out.
  • Amanda
    Beginner April 2020 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It was easy for us to pick our date!

We starting dating April 1st, got engaged April 1st...and my FH wanted to get married April 1st 2020, but it was a Wednesday so we agreed to the following Saturday - April 4th, 2020.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We started dating and got engaged in October 2015 and 2017 respectfully, so it made sense to have an October date, plus it's the tail-end of hurricane season and we wanted to go on our honeymoon right away. We also decided on a 2 year engagement to have more time to plan from a distance, and it was more available for both our families.

We went with October 19, 2019 because 10.19.19 is a cool date to have, and it's in the middle of our dating anniversary (13th) and engagement anniversary (26th). Since we're more "off-season" (although October is becoming very popular), all of our preferred vendors were available, plus I contacted them with over a year to the day.

We are 102 days away now! This Friday marks 99 days, where we enter the double digit countdown!!

• Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We really wanted a 20th day of the month in 2020, but that proved to be impossible when taking into account other considerations like cost of travel (destination wedding), hurricane season, holidays, etc. We landed on April 11th, 2020 because it made the most sense from a safety and economic standpoint.

That being said, I was SUPER keen on having a wedding date that I like so we have chosen 2/22/2020 for our legal ceremony. We won't celebrate this day as our anniversary, but I'll rest easy knowing I signed the paperwork on a cool date. Smiley smile

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours wasn't really anything special. I think we just kind of narrowed it down.

We wanted nice, not too hot, not rainy season weather. So we chose fall (also, everything is much cheaper in the fall).

So, we get to September. Can't choose the first week (labour day and back to school), second date was my brothers birthday. The last week which I wanted was my FH birthday. He didn't want to get married on his birthday EVEN THOUGH he chose to propose to me on mine lol.

So we ended up at September 23rd. 5 days before FH birthday. Weather should still be nice then and it's technically fall so the price was a bit lower!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We also had a process of elimination before we decided on our date.

We wanted a summer wedding, but the summer following our engagement would have been too close (summer 2018), therefore we landed on summer 2019.

We wanted a long weekend Sunday since it's usually cheaper.

May 24 weekend was meh to us, Canada Day long weekend would interfer on a national holiday, and labour day would be difficult for vacation time, so BAM. August 4, 2019 it is. Now we're 25 days away and I can't belive it's almost here!

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We knew that we wanted a winter wedding from the beginning. We got engaged in April 2018 and didn’t think that we could get planning done by late 2018 or early 2019. That left the period of November 2019-February 2020. It seemed like November and February would be more unsure of whether there’d be snow so we scratched that. December would be too hectic and close to Christmas which left January 2020. My birthday is January 9 so we didn’t want our wedding too close to that. We really wanted a Saturday and that left the 18 or 25 and we picked January 18.
  • Kat D
    Frequent user April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks ☺️ We’re looking at a few different venues in the next couple months.
  • Michelle
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Totally!! It all worked out great. Final countdown is nearly on!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    YouTube! Wow that’s pretty amazing!
    Thats so cool that you each have lived in the others countries!
  • Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We met through YouTube actually, and we were friends online for two years before I came to visit him. Then we were long distance for a year. Then we lived together for a year in Ireland while I went to school. Then we were long distance for another year. He came to Canada in 2014 and now has his permanent residency. Smiley smile
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s amazing you chose your anniversary! That’s so special!!

How long were you long distance for, if you don’t mind me asking? That is really, really amazing!

Also! How did you meet?
  • Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We chose August 11th because it is our anniversary. It is the day we decided to make our relationship official, and we wanted to keep that date as special since we've come so far to be together (we were long distance for a long time, as he is from Ireland). When we get married, we will have been together for eight years.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics