Coltin
Beginner September 2020 British Columbia

Save the dates/invites

Coltin, on November 14, 2019 at 17:35 Posted in Plan a wedding
Do you really need to send save the dates? Why not just send invites and have people RSVP online? Is there something I’m missing?
Share:

24 Comments

• Taylor
    Devoted October 2020 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute

I know for me alot of people on the list dont use the internet. So on my invites I will just ask them to call and let me know what the story is.

• Kelsie
    Featured July 2020 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

This is absolutely gorgeous!!!

• Marie-jade
    Newbie September 2020 Quebec
    Marie-jade ·
    • Dispute

As we are also doing a long weekend and also have people coming from Germany, we opted for an early invitation for all the German Guests. The RSVP will be done via our online website. It will allow them to get the information in advance, in order to plan their trip.

So, no save the date for us!

• K
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Karine ·
    • Dispute

Save-the-dates were essential for us. Our wedding guests are busy people who plan their summers a year in advance (#Canada), but more importantly, a few of our friends are planning their weddings at the same time - yikes! - and this was a way to win the race, sort of speak. Definitely use an online platform, and be selective on who needs one and who doesn't (A-list, B-list). All in all, it is a good way to book the folks you really want to be there before the finer details like meal choices and times are worked out.

• Kat D
    Frequent user April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    • Dispute
    Save the Dates are pointless, designed to sell people garbage that is unnecessary.
  • Megan
    Beginner August 2020 British Columbia
    Megan Online ·
    • Dispute
    We originally were just gonna use this and send it electronically to friends/family, mostly cause our wedding is on a long weekend so we want to make sure our friends and family don’t make plans to go away Smiley smile we ended up getting a really good deal on prints so we did get them in a hard copy
    Save the dates/invites 1
  • Jo-Ann
    Beginner July 2020 Nova Scotia
    Jo-Ann ·
    • Dispute

I only mailed save the dates for my older relatives who wouldn't necessarily be familiar with the website or email options. I have emailed them for people who will be travelling from away and needs time to get time off from work, etc...anyone close to where we live knows by word of mouth anyways so they will get the invite later on as reminder

• Shannon
    Devoted September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute

Save the dates are good for out of town guest. I have people coming from far, so I wanted to give them enough time to take of work.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute

You don't need them.

we did free email save the dates for out of province/out of country guests so they had extra time to plan travel/accommodations.

send your invites out a month earlier maybe.

• Kim
    Newbie October 2020 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    We did save the dates because we're getting married on Thanksgiving weekend. We wanted our guests to have plenty of time to make travel and accommodation arrangements. We did ours through Staples...$35 plus postage. We had a lot of fun going through photos and reminiscing while making them too 😊
  • Maegan
    Frequent user May 2020 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    We did Save the date cards due to our very long engagement (over 2 years). We did 75 postcards on vistaprint for about 15 bucks total- so not bad at all.
  • Angelia
    Newbie May 2021 Alberta
    Angelia ·
    • Dispute

There are free digital save the dates out there. That's what I've used. You can also create a page on Facebook and invite people that way as your save the date. This way, there can also be a link added for you wedding website too.

• Rayanne
    Featured February 2021 Ontario
    Rayanne Online ·
    • Dispute
    I'm not doing save the dates but anyone I have invite will know the wedding date because we see them often enough. We may do a digital save the date but no one invited will be more than an hour and a half car ride from us.
  • Geneviève
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    Save the dates are a more useful thing if you’re getting married at peak travel times (summer and holidays) but you definitely don’t need to do them. If you want to though, do digital ones to save on the costs.
  • Ashley
    Super August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute

You dont have to do save the dates at all. its just a nice way to let people know that are coming from out of town or out of country to make arrangements and book holidays off work that sort of stuff.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute

You definitely do not need to have save the dates - it's definitely a trend that got popular (good way to share engagement photos) but not necessary.

Reasons to not do them:

- Extra cost/time

- Do not have a lot of out-of-town guests that need to figure out time off/travel in advance (you could give people the heads up if necessary)

- You're having a shorter engagement (a year or so)

Reasons to do them:

- You have lots of out-of-towners who need to travel/book time off work

- You're having a longer engagement (2+ years) it's a good reminder when you get closer to the wedding

- You can do them over email to mitigate costs

We did them because we had lots of out-of-towners, plus our engagement was 2 years.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles