Bianca
Featured August 2019 Ontario

Save the Dates and Out of Town Guests

Bianca, on 2/October/2018 at 13:15 Posted in Plan a wedding

Happy Tuesday everyone!

I need your advice on when I should send out my save the dates!

FH and I are inviting several out of town guests, and would like to give them as much notice as possible for our upcoming nuptials. We just received out STDs today (YAY!), and I'm going to start addressing them ASAP, but am still lost as to when I should send them. As per etiquette (according to the internet), STDs should go out 4 months prior to the wedding, but that seems a little close to me.

What do you all think? What did you do?

Thanks!

Card_Wedding18_YoungHearts_SaveTheDate_SPhoto via: funkypigeon.com

Share:

32 Replies

• E
    Devoted December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    This are very pretty.

To me 4 months is closer to when the actual invitation could go out. We are getting married in December and we sent our save the dates out the beginning of May, we would have sent them sooner but that’s when we decided on a date.

I say anywhere from a year to 6 months is good. If you have a lot of people travelling more then just a couple hours by car, I would send them out by 8 months.

More notice give people time to plan vacation time, arrange travel, things like that.
  • J
    Curious August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·

I'm getting married August 3rd, 2019 .. we are sending our save the dates to our out of town guests around christmas time, and then our real invitations in May 2019. most of them will be given by hand so we don't have to worry about mailing. Also we are having people RSVP by email

• Summer
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Summer ·
    Our wedding is in May and we’re sending out our save the dates next week!
  • Marleau
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Marleau ·
    We sent ours about 10 months before our big day. Some people say a year before, I think it’s really up to you.
  • Geneviève
    Devoted September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·

I actually gave an STD to a friend of ours before she returned to Mexico to save us postal anxiety even though we have 2 years still! I think as long as you're 100% certain you want them there, no time is too early.

• Alexandra
    Super November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    I actually sent mine out super super early. Like 20 months before the wedding. Only because 90% of my guests are in the UK and for flights if you book a year out they’re cheaper so I wanted time for them to save up for that.
  • Allison
    Featured October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    View quoted message

Yeah, I was originally going to send them around December, but I don't want them getting lost with all the other holiday mail. I'll probably wait until January to send mine but my wedding is also 2 months after yours.

• Allison
    Beginner June 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·

So cute !!

Personally I sent mine out 9 months ahead, we are getting married June 22, 2019 and I sent them just before the weekend of September 22, 2019. I couldn't wait any longer! My fiancé's cousin is getting married the first weekend of June 2019 and they sent them sometime during the summer of 2018 so it is truly up to you. I do agree with other comments that 4 months is much too late, thats the earliest I would send my invitations!

If you are getting married in August, I would send them sometime in November 2018 or January 2019 even if I was you. I feel like if you send them in December they will get lost in the mix of Christmas related items.

• Tori
    Featured October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    View quoted message

He wishes he was! lol He's actually a mix of Metis/Icelandic. But yes, your BFF is completely correct. All Ukrainian parties are amazing - back when I went to the National Ukrainian Festival in 2017 my FH was AMAZED at our ability to party. Almost everybody there was polka-ing till 3am and we were all having a fun time. People were dancing on peoples shoulders, being swung all around, and climbing the middle pole in the tent. We can get real rowdy.

Must haves include polkas, vodka or homebrew, and of course our excellent food! (Probably going to be our midnight snack as well as rib

This is what the night consists of: Kolomyjka (Late night after party)

• Leah
    Expert April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    View quoted message
    Unfortunately it’s not a destination wedding in the usual sense. We live in Toronto, and we’re getting married in Victoria, BC. All but 2 of the guests will be coming in from out of town. So i guess it can be better described as a a cross country destination wedding.

[We’re using electronic save the dates and invitations (yay AppyCouple), for convenience, but I just hit me that we will need to go through the address request/collection process in order to send thank you cards. 🤦🏾‍♀️.]

• Tyanna
    Expert June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    My wedding is in june 2019. I sent mine in june 2018.

My town has HUGE tourism in the summer, so I sent notices saying to book now, or forever regret it Haha! Invitations will not be going out until the new year, but most of our guests have booked hotel already. (Which also gives me a fairly good RSVP list) muahah
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    View quoted message

Hahah I can't imagine someone being like "This is too early!!" to an invitation either.

I like how you're going to send yours out during important holiday times for you. Is your FH Ukrainian as well? I don't know too much about the culture but I hear the weddings are fun (from my BFF who's Ukrainian lol). And I really like how you're spacing yours out with enough time to send invitations to your B-List (something I completely forgot about).

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    View quoted message

Thanks for your input! I'm going to send out my STD's soon since it's just logical, right? I'll probably send them out before the end of the month to beat the holiday mail that is sure to come.

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    View quoted message

That's exactly the timeline I was thinking for sending mine! I'm going to figure out the rest of the guest addresses before sending them out (believe it or not, I'm still missing some addresses, spouses names, etc.).

Where's your destination wedding? I'm just hoping that one of my friends has a destination wedding sometime since they seem like so much fun!

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    View quoted message

I'm glad to hear that your guests were happy to get the STD's so early! Makes me feel better for wanting to send ours out so early.

The furthest guests will be coming from China, while the majority of our OOT guests I'm concerned about will be coming from Winnipeg and Arizona (we're in Toronto). I'm definitely going to send them out ASAP since our wedding is 10 months away and I'm just too excited not to get them out lol.

• Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    Since you have them now, I would send them now. People will stick it on their fridge or cork board or whatever they have lol they put in calander and keep it in mind. I really feel like there is no exact timeline other than the earlier the better. My deadline was September 1st, my wedding is October 19th and I'm STILL finalizing a few RSVP's. It's never ending lol

Comment on this discussion

Related articles