Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jess
Curious October 2020 Ontario

Rude to not invite kids or certain parts of the family?

Jess, on January 12, 2020 at 07:58 Posted in Wedding reception 0 22
I have two dilemmas. I am having a 50 person or so wedding in October. The groom and I decided to each invite around 25 people. Not an issue for the groom as he has a small family. I on the other hand have a huge family.

I could use up my 25 people with just my aunts, uncles and cousins on my moms side. That would not include my cousins kids who range in age from 1 year old to 13 years old. There are 7 of them in total. My first dilemma is this - is it rude if I make this an adults only event? Having 7 more people will inflate my numbers and I’m on a tight budget.
The other issue is I am not close to my dad’s side of the family at all. We barely see each other and when I am required to see them at things like weddings every few years I dread the day. They made my childhood very difficult and would often make comments about my weight. This continued into adulthood with comments about my studies, weight and lack of a boyfriend. I decided since I’m not close to them and that I only have 25 people to invite I would not include them.
I told my parents this and my dad freaked out and told me I had to at least invite my grandparents and aunts and uncles. That would be another 12 people which would again inflate my list. My dad is apparently hurt by me not inviting them but honestly having them there would stress me out because they are so judgemental and again they make me feel crappy with back handed comments. My dad isn’t even that close to them but feels people will talk if no one from his side is there.
I could understand if my parents were financially helping with the wedding if they wanted to choose part of my guest list but they are not. Me and my FH are paying for the entire wedding ourselves and have a very tight budget.
Any advice? I don’t want to cause drama or upset my dad but I really don’t want them there.

22 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on January 17, 2020 at 12:08
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A lot of people do adults only and thats fine however dont start picking and choosing certain kids to invite. i had a friend do this and she had only certain peoples kids come and on her wedding day people were pissed and went up to the bride and groom to yell at them. dont invite anyone youre not close with. if you dont talk to them dont invite them. just cuz some people have a title of aunt uncle or cousin does not give them an automatic invite

• Honeylie
    Frequent user August 2021 Quebec
    Honeylie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey girl!

I know the feeling 100%. All I can say is that if you do not feel comfortable having them at your wedding than do not invite them.

Why do they want to come if you barely saw them? So they can criticize behind your back? No thank you!!

My FH and I are having 60 people at our wedding. NONE OF THEM are blood family on my side because I am not close with them at all. I have childhood friends I am not inviting because I have not seen them in person for over 5 years, yet they follow me on instagram and ask me "how's the wedding?" expecting an invite.

My rule of thumb is, if I have not seen the person in the last year because I did not want to, then they are not invited.

People take it personally not being invited to events, and they should because there is a reason you do not want them there in the first place.

I could keep going, but in short I would not invite them. Blood does not make you "family". Relationships, friendships, shared moments is what makes you family.

xxx

• Jess
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A bit of an update on this. Still getting the silent treatment. I’ve attempted to compromise. No movement at all. My parents won’t financially help (I can’t afford to invite these extra people) and don’t care how much they are hurting my feelings.

It’s now escalated to the point that my parents won’t even acknowledge I’m engaged or that I am getting married later this year. Instead of being happy planning I just find myself uncomfortable and feeling sad about it. Hope it gets better but I keep having a mixture of hurt feelings and anger and I’m starting to feel a bit manipulated by my family.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sorry about the silent treatment, and I'm sure he is just saying not to invite your grandparents right now because if he is anything like me - it's an all or nothing! And I usually say things I don't mean when I don't get my way Smiley tongue

At the same time no matter what if you don't invite his siblings I can see why he is hurt. Those are his siblings man, if my Sister wasn't invited to something it autimatically makes me not want to go or be happy about what the event is. So even though you aren't close to them and don't care for them - it's not the same to him.

In the end he should be on your side because you are his daughter, but it doesn't make the hurt go away.

As for the parents not helping pay for the wedding - normally that is fine because it's not their wedding. But if they are THAT adamant about your Dad's side being invited then they should be at least offering to pitch in. (I could see this happening after they have some time to cool off, I wouldn't offer it right away if I was them either because from their POV it sounds like "I like all of Mom's side and my FH's family but yours sucks and the only way they can come is if you foot the bill!")

Hang in there, I'm sure something can be done to resolve the tension!

• Jess
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s the thing. I did try and compromise and I originally had my grandparents on my list and had no problem inviting them but he told me to remove them unless I’m inviting everyone! I’m trying to see it from his point of view but he’s refusing to see how hurtful this is for me. And they will not financially help me pay for the wedding which is making it all even worse!

Still trying to sort this out but I’m getting the silent treatment from both parents now.
  • Jess
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The unfortunate thing is my parents know how I feel and why - so I’m a bit hurt that they know this but still want to invite them. Trying to be strong and firm but still getting the silent treatment!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As much as I want to be one of the others that say "It's your wedding and you should do what makes you happy" - I can't help but see it from your Dad's side. To me, family is family. To keep our numbers lower we didn't invited anybody under 18 but with that being said - to invite one half of the family and not the other half would be for sure the straw that broke the camels back. In that, I mean that if you don't invite at least your grandparents and aunts/uncles then that would really be hurting that relationship and you may not be able to get that back. Not to say that you have a good one or one that you care about - but it's just... idk.. I would find a way to invite them.

IMO - For sure would make it an 18+ wedding (or 19+ depending on the legal drinking age for Ontario), but would try and make it work to invite your Dad's side.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The best thing about a wedding, is its your day, and you and your fiance make the final choices.

We didn't invite children to our wedding. The only ones that were there, were our nieces and nephews (10 total) and this was only because our niece and nephew were in the wedding party, and we could not exclude the rest of them. This caused some drama in the beginning, all the way up to a couple days before the wedding lol, but in the end it was our choice, and if people didn't like it and didn't want to come to our wedding, not my problem.

As for the issue on your dads side of the family, I would express to him exactly what you wrote here. let him know how you felt going to those events, and how you felt during your childhood. Stick to your decisions!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    People dont give me the silent treatment. I pretend they are not and I talk and talk and talk.....they eventually give in. At least you get the time to state your case without interruption.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Tell your dad it’s an affordability thing and if it means that much to him than you’ll need his help to pitch in financially. You’ll really have to put your foot down. However you could also try to come up with a compromise. If no one from his side is there then yeah invite a few and maybe take a few off from your moms side? Sorry does not sound like a fun situation.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah the silent treatment. That'll last a little longer but they can't avoid you forever. It's a crappy feeling but it will blow over soon, especially when they clue in that it isn't financially feasible for you. I dealt with that a bit, and occasionally my mother quips about my father's sister being invited but not her brothers (her sister is though) but I shut her down when it happens. Sometimes it feels like you have to retrain your parents on manners when it comes to these things!

• Jess
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hopefully he comes around. They are currently giving me the silent treatment and I haven’t spoken to them in a couple days.

My parents are providing zero financial support and they know that even if I wanted them there I can’t afford it!
  • Jess
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yup that’s exactly it! They don’t know anything about my life and have never met my FH so really I don’t see the reason to have them there!
  • Jess
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! Makes me feel much better. My parents are guilt tripping me right now but in the end it’s my day.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's your day, it's your money, so you call the shots. I had a similar situation with only having 30 guests and not inviting extended family (which also meant kids). My parents naturally had a lot to say on the subject, but I was firm, and just because money and strings is a big issue in my family, I didn't give them the option to financially compensate.

As for your judgy relatives, I'd reiterate your sentiments to your dad and be firm about it. He'll be peeved for a bit but he will come around eventually.

• Alana
    Frequent user July 2022 Ontario
    Alana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be in a similar situation and I have chosen that I am not inviting anyone who won’t be supportive in our marriage. I have aunts and uncles who treat my mother poorly and know nothing about my life/barely know my FH. They won’t be in attendance.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Kid free weddings are really common, the majority of guests will be understanding that their kids can't join and they will enjoy a grown-up kid free evening!
    As far as pressure to invite people, invite who will celebrate with you not the people that you don't want to share an important milestone with. Will people talk, probably but of you don't see them often then that doesn't really matter!
    I've grown apart from most of my aunts uncles and cousins, but I feel where you're coming from. I keep wondering if it's rude to invite some and not the others. But cutting out the "family" that I never see gives us room to include co-workers who actually support us.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You dont have to be rude. Just blame the venue lol.
  • Jess
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! And yes I know this would cause me a lot of stress the day of and I am trying to avoid feeling bad on what should be one of the greatest days of my life.

I hope no one is offended if I don’t invite children. Not that I don’t love them but really I just don’t have the budget.
  • Jess
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you this makes me feel better! I’m not trying to be rude but frankly I just don’t like them! I actually really get along with my mom’s side of the family so would rather exclusively invite them!!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn't consider inviting anyone to my wedding that didn't bring joy to us to have them there. Especially if I am the one paying for them! Having a kids only event is totally 100% fine. It may be a way to keep numbers down as well if parents decline because of kids. I'm sorry your dad is disappointed but hopefully by your big day he'll have come to terms with it. Best of luck. If you don't see these people I wouldn't worry about the any bad feelings. If/when you see them again just tell them you had venue constrictions that made for very hard decisions. They don't need to know it was to make your day special.
  • Melissa
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ultimately, it’s your wedding, and if you don’t feel comfortable having certain people there then you shouldn’t feel pressured into inviting them. It’s your special day and it’s not worth the additional stress and upset that it could cause you, when wedding planning can be stressful enough by itself! Regarding having no kids there, I don’t see anything wrong with that. A lot of people are having adults-only weddings these days, it’s pretty normal and again, it’s your wedding day so you should just do whatever works best for you and your groom. The most important thing is that you are marrying him, and you two should be able to do that in front of whomever you decide, with no pressure!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics