Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jillian
Frequent user September 2022 Ontario

rsvp date May 15-46 guests still pending

Jillian, on May 13, 2020 at 23:23 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14
Our rsvp date is 2 days away. And still waiting for 46 guests to reply. We haven’t post poned yet, our wedding is sept 19 2020 and 2 provinces away.
I know canada post is slow right now and I know most people don’t even rsvp and you need to follow up. But it makes me sad that our guests most likely don’t feel comfortable travelling, which we understand but just makes it sad that post poning will be the reality..

14 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on May 18, 2020 at 13:41
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Can they drive instead of fly? make a little road trip out of your wedding? i think people are waiting till the last minute to see how things are before they respond

• Patricia
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Patricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is the same date and we postponed!!!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

With flights being extremely limited and only offered for essential travel, I doubt your potential guests won't find it unfair if the rsvp date is closer to the event. I know it's not ideal but considering the situation, it is what it is.

• Jillian
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We live in Saskatchewan, my fiance's family is all in Ontario and we are getting married in Ontario.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Considering our borders are closed, it's not like they can book flights right now if they wanted to anyway. Even flights within the country are severely limited now.

Are you in Ontario? You mentioned you are two provinces away but not sure if that means you're looking to leave Ontario or coming in. If you're coming in, then your guests are probably aware of how bad things are here. We're not Quebec but our cases still vastly outnumber a good number of other provinces combined.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's most likely because those guests are waiting to see what happens, and they may even be wondering if the wedding is still on but they dont want to ask you and risk upsetting you.

I would reach out to those people a few days after the deadline and see how they feel. See if they want to come if they're allowed but let them know that staying away is fine if that makes them feel safer.
    I'm not sure about other provinces, but in NB if you leave the province you need to isolate for 2 weeks when you return, so there's a chance people are waiting until they can safely travel or figuring out how they can go and still work when the return. Also if they don't live in your province they might be worried about whether they can travel there on non-essential travel without getting turned away at their own expense. With each province having different rules they might not know what to do right now.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your requests from guests to reply back in the remaining days will not be done due to the post office mail delivery knowing of the situation. Its just best to postpone the day and have your guests know you have chosen to take this path for the safer side. Travelling isn't going to be possible due to the stage being too early and be quarantined once arrived. Allow your guests to RSVP by 2 months prior so they can have some time to see the situation and if the travel is going to be ok to and make their bookings for the hotel too.

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

HI Darling, Sorry you are going through this. This Virus has screwed up A LOT of things for many people. Your date is still some time away, I would suggest following up at the beginning of August, especially for the people who have not responded because at that point we will have a better understanding of the virus and where it stands. You never know, by then we could have a vaccination! Just take it day by day, many people will be hesitant because of the Virus but that's reality, maybe think about putting your wedding live for those individuals who can't make it to still feel "part" of the wedding!

• Jillian
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

75% of our guests are flying and travelling so to only give them 2 months notice doesnt seem fair.

• V
    Frequent user September 2021 Ontario
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Maybe you haven’t gotten them back because it’s still look early? Before we postponed our June 27 wedding, our RSVP deadline was May 15.... maybe extend the deadline? Or you can follow up by phone with all your guests and ask if they will be able to come?

Uncertainty is looming over everything right now, and being 4 months out, guests just might not be sure, yet. I don’t think I’d feel comfortable responding this early on either.
    For our out of province guests, I agree with you on how you sent the invites early, we did the same thing! But the RSVP date remained the same for everyone.
    Maybe you can extend the deadline if you’re still keeping your original date? Maybe late July? By then there should be more clarity on travel Smiley smile
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would let people know due to COVID you’re extending your RSVP deadline.

My deadline is May 29 for my July wedding and we’re missing 108 RSVPs. People just don’t want to give an answer right now due to COVID.
    My venue is working with me so I can get my numbers finalized last minute. The hotel is willing to let people book their hotel into July.
    I’d let people know they have more time to respond, otherwise you may end up with a lot of No’s on following up.
  • Jillian
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our wedding is 2 provinces away so we sent out those and haven’t sent out anything for our Ontario guests
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Kallei, I think it's way to early. A lot of people right now are probably iffy about traveling at this moment in time. And so many things can change within 4 months notice. I know for my August 8th wedding that we've now postponed until next august, we needed rsvp's 3 weeks before.

• Kallei
    Beginner September 2020 Alberta
    Kallei ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you’re asking for RSVP’s way too early. Our wedding is September 26 and we won’t be asking for RSVPs to be in until August. Due to Covid, people don’t know yet how/if they can commit to a wedding this far out, so much can change by then.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics