Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Breanne
Frequent user September 2019 Alberta

Riviera Maya vs. Puerto Vallarta

Breanne, on July 12, 2018 at 20:54 Posted in Honeymoon 0 19
Hello! I hope everyone’s planning is going great!

My fiancé and I have been working on planning our honeymoon. We are getting married on September 21st, 2019. We have decided that we want to take a pre-wedding honeymoon, as I will be starting my Master’s Degree in May 2019, so the chances of being able to get away for more than a few days right after our wedding seems to be unlikely. Has anyone else done this? Thoughts?

We have also narrowed it down to Riviera Maya and Puerto Vallarta! We would love so feedback on these destinations, as well as any suggestions for resorts!

Thanks so much! 😊

19 Comments

Latest activity by Robyn, on November 7, 2018 at 17:33
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Riviera Maya by a landslide. Look into Platinum Yucatan Princess, me and my FH went there a year ago and I think it has spoiled us for other resorts.

• Breanne
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awww that’s so cute! And that sounds like it will be an amazing time!

Thanks Peggy!!!
  • Breanne
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hmmmm sounds like this should be an option for sure!!!
  • Breanne
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I will look into those resorts for sure! Thank you for your feedback!
  • Breanne
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s so fun!!! I hope you guys have a blast!!!
  • Breanne
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I will definitely be looking into this! Thanks again!
  • Breanne
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for offering a different perspective Tyanna! I greatly appreciate it!
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's where my fiancé and I officially started dating, actually! We're having an 'after party' there for 2 weeks after our wedding; we have about 8 friends joining us! We're holding off on our honeymoon for about 15 months, to save up money!

If you want information/tips from someone a bit closer to your age, haha, feel free to send me a pm.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Grand Bahia Principe is my in-laws favourite resort when they go. I think they've gone 3 times now, and they won't stay anywhere else! I would definitely look into this one!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with others - Riviera Maya, hands down. There's many lovely resorts there - it depends on what you're looking for in the resort. My favourite is the Grand Bahia Principe, but I've also stayed at the Grand Sirenis, which has a very different feel! Do your research, take reviews with a grain of salt - remember that the work ethic is very different in Mexico. Their cultural mentality is that it's better to work longer and less hard, which makes sense given the heat they are dealing with! The staff are some of the most amazing people and, at most any resort, can't do enough to make you happy!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm in the same boat... I lived in Europe as a kid for a few years so my family traveled a lot. Our honeymoon will be my fiance's first official trip, aside from trips to my uncles house in Arizona for family vacation.
    His first tropical vacation, and our first trip alone. Yay! We cant wait!
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We stayed at the grand palladium riviera maya. They had a small cute train to take you to different parts of the resort. It was about an hour from the airport, which felt like forever but totally worth it.
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I personally prefer Puerto Vallarta because it's less commercial andmore down to earth!
  • Breanne
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much Rosalyn! I think we are definitely leaning towards Riviera Maya!
  • Breanne
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Glad you had a great time Carmela! May I ask what resort you stayed at?
  • Breanne
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow! Thanks so much for the feedback Brittany! I really appreciate it!

I love to travel and I think once my fiancé goes on this first trip, he will be just as addicted, so there will definitely be a “Second Honeymoon”!
  • Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have only been to Puerto Vallarta, that side is definitely rocky, waters aren’t very clear. That being said the city is beautiful. But I would maybe be more keen to do the other side!
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    100% hands down, Rivera Maya! We went in oct and it rained but the food was amazing, people were friendly and didn’t pressure you to buy anything, the resort was spectacular and clean!! Also there are so many fun adventurous things to do in R.Maya!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have visited both sides of Mexico, and in my opinion, Riviera Maya can't be beat. The resorts are gorgeous, you can experience the Mayan Ruins, and overall it's a much more tropical/ honeymoon-y feel!! I think the resorts are amazing. We stayed at the Now Jade resort for my cousin's wedding and it was really nice. But there are so many great choices.

Some people wait 3 months to over a year to take their honeymoon due to money and schedule... so why not do it early for the same reasons?

Maybe commit to doing a post-wedding trip as well though when you are able! A "Second Honeymoon" for the truly married couple! Smiley laugh

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics