Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Devoted February 2020 Ontario

Right Dress but not the Right Price

Emily, on September 4, 2018 at 21:09 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 28

I have been having difficulty wedding dress shopping, I am super picky, both in what I want and how much I want to spend. I have tried on over 30 dresses and have yet to find something that I really loved, until this past Saturday. Since I have been having trouble finding dresses, I started to look outside my budget, just to see if I could find something (bad move!). Of course, I found a dress, that with alterations and tax, would cost double my budget. It is definitely the perfect dress, I got the "feeling" and even started to tear up. What should I do!? Blow the budget or keep looking!? I feel like, its not the right dress, if it is not the right price, therefore, my dress must still be out there!

28 Comments

Latest activity by Melissa, on September 12, 2018 at 19:29
  • Melissa
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Worth it! We have tons of stores here along saint hubert street Smiley smile
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Amazing! This gives me hope!

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have actually had my eye on this one as well! If i can't find anything, I am definitely going to make the trip to Montreal to try it on ! Thank you Smiley smile

• Heather
    Newbie September 2019 Ontario
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I got mine at a bridal show. I paid $450 for a $2000 dress. It was brand new. She was clearing out dresses from a company that moved to the states and didn’t want to order and pay to ship from u.s.a.
    Stick to your budget. I wasn’t willing to compromise. You’ll find the one!!!
  • Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Please check out 1861.ca. Canadian company based in Montreal that also sells wedding dress under $1000. Based on the picture you posted, I looked to see if they have a similar dress and this is what I found for $988, it’s called yebin. Not identical, but I hope you can find something for the right price!

Right Dress but not the Right Price 1

Right Dress but not the Right Price 2
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could try to find it on sale somewhere or check for any trunk shows from the designer? My dress was also higher than my budget but I could afford it so I went with it and I've been very happy with my decision. You can even keep shopping around for another dress and see if you find something else that you love and if you don't find anything then come back for the dress.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If it makes you feel better - I tried on well over 110 dresses at over 11 appointments at 11 different shops. I actually fell in love with, and bought, a dress that had NONE of what I thought I wanted. In fact, it hit every single one of my 'Do Not Want' checkboxes, haha. It ended up being a sample and was half of my original budget (735$ with taxes vs my 1500$ before taxes budget!)...and 1/3-1/4 of what my budget had grown to (****$!!!) in my desperation to find what I was happy with!

Don't get discouraged - your dress is out there, at a price you are comfortable paying.

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!

Ill check out our those online shops!!
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You do make a really great point!

I am sitting at a similar price point, I would like it to be around $1500 total. This dress is $2250, plus an estimated 500-700 worth of alterations and then tax!

Thank you for posting - gives me more to think about Smiley smile
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This gives me hope! Thank you Smiley smile
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally would not go that outside of budget for a dress. 2-300 bucks ok. manageable. not double. but that's me. I wouldn't be able to justify such a huge cost for 1 day. but at the same time. if you love it. rework your budget. or search that designer and find a trunk sale or call other bridal stores and see their pricing (I found HUGE price differences between stores and to the point that it was worth the hour drive to go to the other store).
    I struggled to find a dress. really struggled. so I feel your pain.

there are 2 online shops for wedding dresses. can search designers

stillwhite.ca

preownedweddingdresses.com

I highly recommend going to davids bridal if there is one near you. I found 2 dresses I really liked at Sophie's gown shop. but they were over what I wanted to spend (one at the high end of my budget, one just above budget). and I ended up finding what I wanted at DB and loved it and felt like such a princess.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am also one of the biased ones... I am a super stickler to budget for literally everything... I wanted my dress to be closer to about $1200, before taxes and alterations.... but I fell in love with the most amazing gown... and it's $2199.... before taxes and alterations. Fortunately I'm a good height, so 3.5 inch heels are the perfect height to not need hemming, however it will be about $200 to take in the dress and put in cups.

But I love it. And once it was done... I have not regretted it. I easily can let go of extra decor, or a few borderline guests.... but I've been dreaming about that white dress since I was a little girl, and I would be disappointed if I settled for something I didn't adore because of price...

Now... My budget almost doubled, but it started closer to $1000... I think there's a big difference from doubling a smaller budget to a larger budget.... (500 to 1000, vs 2000 to 4000).... But don't do anything you're going to regret or feel badly about! You want to feel good about your dress, and if ultimately spending that amount will cause more grief than happiness, then I suggest to continue your search. Good luck!

• Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I felt the same way when I tried on a dress that I really liked but was over my budget...however, after I went home and had time to calm down and think it through, I figured that it was not worth it for just one day...and a few weeks later, I was able to find one that I liked JUST as much but it was within my budget! So I say be a little more patient and wait for it. You still got lots of time!

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh no! I’m so sorry that happened! The dress is gorgeous! But if you won’t feel good wearing it because you blew your budget, then definitely keep hunting! Maybe try showing consultants the picture of you in this dress, tell them what you loved about the dress, and ask them to show you things they have within your budget. At least you narrowed down to a style/fit that you love! It looks gorgeous on you, and I’m sure you’ll be able to fall in love with another dress!
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That was the opinion that my FMIL gave me! ahah. But I don't think I will feel good about wearing it, if it is that much over my budget. Thank you so much!

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I definitely think so - I have the style and colours in mind - heres hoping I am successful!

• Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im biased as I blew my budget for my ceremony dress so I would say do it! It checked off every box and I absolutely LOVE IT! I also tried on so many dresses but none could do what this one did for me. You only get married once (hopefully) right? If not, you can save it for the next one lol or consign it or sell it Smiley smile
  • Melissa
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I second this!
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Now that you know what your out of budget dream dress is - can you narrow your search to similar dresses that are in your price range?

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is a great option! I will keep looking at David's Bridal as well as consignment shops to see what I can find that is really similar.

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!

Yes, I agree - budget it everything to me as well. I think that I am going to keep looking, but keep this style in the back of my head.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is an absolutely beautiful dress but at twice your budget I would say keep looking
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's a beautiful dress but twice the budget is a lot. I'd say keep looking since like most of the gals on here have said, it's only one night. I'm sure your dress is out there at your price!

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey that’s so similar to the one I’ve been eyeing in a store near me lol! I recommend taking a look at David’s bridal if there’s one near you because when I looked online I saw some similar options and usually they’re a bit cheaper
  • Janis
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Janis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    First of all, you look stunning! Second: you’re just like me, all about the budget. It’s a tough call but I feel you should go with your gut on what weighs out to your priorities (the dress you want VS your budget). I’m a practical/ long-term thinker and say I’m only wearing it for ONE day. I don’t want to talk you out of your dress but wanted to explain budget is personally important to me.
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am completely open to second hand (and would prefer it actually!)

I should’ve added some from the beginning - I have attached some pictures!

Right Dress but not the Right Price 3

Right Dress but not the Right Price 4
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's a bummer for sure - I don't think that I could do it though. If you love it try your best to work your budget around it but remember that it's just for one day/night of your life.

I would recommend looking to see if you could find that dress or ones similar that are used (as long as you are not apposed to the idea) or maybe even see if you could rent that dress?

Maybe share a pic and the community can try and help find one similar?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics