Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Reception Speeches? Keep or Cancel?

Lynnie, on September 16, 2019 at 09:50 Posted in Wedding reception 0 31

Reception toasts from your father, maid of honor, and best man can be incredibly moving and bring everyone to happy tears! 😭 That is, when the speeches are done well! On the other hand, they can also be awkward, embarrassing, and totally cringe-worthy when done poorly.

What's your vote? Should we put everyone out of their misery and cancel reception speeches? Or keep this personal and emotional toast tradition?

Reception Speeches? Keep or Cancel? 1

Photo by Purple Tree Wedding Photography in Toronto

Next Question: Clinking for Kisses

Back to the Beginning: Keep or Cancel?

31 Comments

Latest activity by Renee, on December 3, 2019 at 23:06
  • R
    Newbie August 2020 Alberta
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m still debating this but definitely leaning towards tossing the idea out! If my MIL or MOH want to do a speech I think They could write it in a letter and give it to us to read together. Whatever heartfelt things they have to say don’t need to be said in front of everyone. If you’re happy for us, tell us. You don’t need to express it to 250+ people.
    Not bashing people that love speeches or want them at their wedding, just not for me. Coming from the bride who doesn’t want to be the centre of attention for any amount of time.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think keep. But we're not sure when to fit them in.
  • R
    Frequent user November 2021 Ontario
    Racheal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep. I want everyone to have an opportunity to share in the love and emotions on our big day. After all, it is about our families as much as us.

• Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep I know that our parents and grandparents would like to do a speech

• Meghan
    Beginner May 2021 Quebec
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep. I know the people we're asking won't drag on and on, so I'm not giving a time restriction. Speeches are always my favourite part of a wedding

• Christine
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep... but everyone gets 5 minutes Smiley smile At least I hope they keep it short and sweet.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We kept this...but I made sure that EVERYONE who is speaking knows to keep it short and sweet. We have also split the speeches up throughout the night a bit so they're not all at once...
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We kept them
  • R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep. But barely. Grooms dad will do the toast and then MOH and BM get a 3 min MAX speech. I will shut it down if they take to long lol
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep. We only had a few people speaking, so it was tasteful.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keeping these. I think our speech-givers are pretty low risk of botching it and we'll have them keep them short.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're keeping, but we're also keeping them limited so it's not a free for all

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep! speeches are my favourite part of weddings!
  • Maddie19
    Curious July 2020 Alberta
    Maddie19 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're only doing a best man, maid of honour, and father of the bride speech! 2 minutes max haha.

• A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH and I will be doing the only speech that night. We would like to keep things short and simple and enjoy the party before we turn into pumpkins! 😆 The rehearsal dinner the night before my father will welcome my fiancé and his family into our family etc and if the MOH and BM want to tell a tale or two then at least it won’t be to the whole wedding.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like what seems to be the majority here, Keep but on a smaller scale. This could change, but we are figuring the planned speeches will be minimal. We are thinking about opening the mic up for people afterwards, so, if someone really wants to say something, they can. I'm definitely going to ask the MC to announce to keep the stories family friendly as there are going to be a lot of kids there...Also a way to keep the cringey topics at bay! :-P

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted to cancel because speeches are SO long and boring, especially for guests. But, my sister wanted to do one, so I guess we'll see how that goes.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cancel. Our group was so small it would have been weird to have speeches and I don't like speeches anyway. We had a couple toasts during dinner and that was it.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Kept, but trimmed!
    Only the MC (BIL), FIL, my mom and us (hubby and I) gave a speech. We asked to keep them short.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep, We'll tell each person to try to keep their speech to only being a couple of minutes.

• Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are keeping speeches but limiting them to just a few short ones from father of bride, best man, MOH and bride (my groom doesn't want to talk and I usually do the talking for both of us anyways.)
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel ! We ended up having one speech from my dad, welcoming my hubby into the family. He was dead set on doing one so we decided that would be okay but to play a game instead of doing other speeches. it was quite nice

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep! I know most guests don't like speeches, but I like them (even as a guest!). It's neat hearing from the couple's nearest and dearest, just make sure certain cringe-worthy topics are off-limits!

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep! I always enjoy this part of weddings so we're definitely including it on ours

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are keeping! Keeping it very small in the number of people giving speeches but our parties want to give them. My dad is going to sing/play guitar for us instead of a speech though Smiley smile Super excited for that.

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keeping, I think we'll have one from the maid of honor and best man and then if anyone else wants to say something they can.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keeping. We are having both sets of parents do speeches, along with the best man and MOH. My brother is our MC and he is welcome to tell a couple stories (as long as they are short) throughout the night

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keeping, but we asked people to keep them short and sweet.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keeping! There will be a time limit though so people aren’t bored to tears.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keeping but keeping to a minimum. I'll do the thank you speech from us. Only one or two speeches (I hope anyway)
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep - don't want to be eating with dead air or background music.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics