Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sara
Curious August 2018 Alberta

Real or fake flowers

Sara, on October 13, 2017 at 15:54 Posted in Before the wedding 0 21

I am torn. I want flowers but I dont want to pay the price for real flowers and they die so soon after. Or what do you do with them all after. I am thinking just the bouquet and boutonniere for flowers as we have other ideas for the center pieces. WHat are your thoughts?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Bethany, on November 26, 2017 at 16:34
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am doing fake flowers from other brides!! As well as dollar store flowers (ones that look real- some look fake there so I went with a better quality one). We are doing the bouquets, boutenirs, etc. And then on the table just a floating flower
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am still trying to decide. I talked with my bridal party and they said real are good but faux they can keep. I am probably going to go for Faux though. Still have a bit (not much) time to decide I hope by Jan/Feb I will know.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Sara, what did you choose in the end? Have you gone with faux flowers?

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the tip. I have seen alot of nice pictures of faux flowers and the whole bridal set on Etsy. I have been tempted to continue looking there. But you never know if they are going to look anything like the pictures. I've never ordered from Etsy so not sure what to expect.

• Sara
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I got my big calla lilies from Michaels but that was at the beginning of spring. When I went back around August I could not find them anymore. So they do carry calla lilies but only for a short period of time. I would ask the floral associates at what time of year they expect to get them back.

• Ashley
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That was my thought exactly! We are doing fake flowers of high quality from michaels, and we spruced them up with a vase filler. My bouquet and the men's boutennieres are real flowers and on the guestbook table and on the mantle behind our sweetheart table we are getting those flowers from costco like in the second picture. Each batch in 19.99$ and we are getting 3 to incorporate them. After you can always donate them to a retirement home or some guests can take them home

Real or fake flowers 1

Real or fake flowers 2
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went with real, but most of my flowers were baby's breath (with the exception of my bouquet and my barrel pieces - we got married at a vineyard). My thought process was that I already had decorations that I would need to sell/get rid of and I didn't want to add flowers to that. We've saved some, but the others are gone.

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Those look really pretty and will look great beside your pictures. And I had no idea you could rent flowers.
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for all the comments and ideas.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I bought inexpensive 2nd hand vases and Costco roses for my center pieces. Before the reception we placed a sticker on the back leg of one chair per table with the word WINNER on it. At the end of the reception, we asked our guests to look at their chair leg and that person took home the vase filled with roses. Costco roses are only $22.00 for two dozen so I only needed 2 packages for our small reception as we had 4 tables. They have other flowers in the store as well. For the center pieces at the head table, I brought some vases that our bouquets could be placed in and that's all we needed along with some candles.

• Faith
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Faith ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also look into renting flowers. If you live in a small town area you might have this as an option. They charge a percentage of what the flowers cost and you can rent them for the weekend.
  • Faith
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Faith ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's what we're doing for our wedding. Real flowers for boquets and boutonnieres. And our centerpieces are photos of us and these cases with tiny lights on wires and leaves.

Real or fake flowers 3
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would check their website. I'm not doing lillies so I wouldn't know if they carry off the top of my head.

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Costco - I never thought of them. Thanks for the idea Smiley smile

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh growing in my garden that's an idea. I am just not sure I'll have good enough luck to have pretty flowers. I don't have a great green thumb. Smiley smile

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you. I will look there again. Last time I went they didn't have any calla lilies which are my flowers of choice.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Michaels. Depending on what color scheme your looking they have different flowers per season. I bought some this past spring but I need to get more for my bouquet. So ill be going back to get more. But for my archway flowers I only spent 50$ which is pretty good.

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Where did u find nice faux flowers Ashley.
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can get really good looking faux flowers for a good deal! That's why I chose faux. And you can keep your bouquet after.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is our plan; we will be using real flowers for bouquets/boutonnieres and then something else for centrepieces. We had also talked about growing flowers ourselves and making them into a bouquet, but since neither of us are crafty we ditched that idea

• Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with you, I love real flowers but the price is crazy! I think what we are going to do is have real flowers for the bouquets and boutonnieres and then use fake flowers in the centerpieces or order real flowers from Costco and try to make some arrangements myself to save cost.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics