Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jess
Curious October 2020 Ontario

Questions to Ask Venue?

Jess, on June 8, 2020 at 23:04 Posted in Wedding reception 1 11
Hi all,

Scheduled to get married on October 10, 2020. We have been playing the wait and see game and trying to decide whether to postpone, cancel or go ahead with some kind of altered celebration.
I’m starting to feel like I need to contact our venue and other vendors. What kinds of questions should I be asking them right now? I want to make sure I cover my bases.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Jess, on June 11, 2020 at 14:58
  • Jess
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The minimum number of guests is a great question I didn’t think of! I’ll have to ask. We are having a smallish wedding as is (50 people) but I’m not super comfortable having that many people together at once so I’ll have to ask how they will deal with that.
  • Jess
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you very much for the helpful response! Just found out they will transfer my deposit but there are additional costs to postpone!!
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Read your contract and see what it says. ask about cancellation fees, moving fees, increased fees for the following year, new contracts?, ask about min number of guests (in case covid is still around and next year we are only allowed to have say 50 people), what dates they have, what happens if there is still a limit by your new wedding date, refunds?

• K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sorry you have to deal with this headache! Fingers crossed that October works out for you! Having said that, it probably is prudent to start a dialogue with your venue and other vendors. In terms of questions, you’ve already gotten some fantastic suggestions so I won’t repeat them. But I would be as specific as possible in your questions about potential price increases in the event you’re forced to postpone to 2021. For example, your venue may be willing to change your date free of charge (as in, they won’t increase the venue rental fee or ding you with a surcharge). But if they’re also taking care of your catering and bar, make sure to inquire about that pricing too! If they typically increase their catering costs each year, and plan to charge you 2021 pricing, you definitely want to know ahead of time so can budget accordingly/make an informed decision.

Good luck!
  • Jess
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. Really helpful!
  • Jess
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly! I’m finding it very stressful just not knowing what’s going on and what will happen in October! I’m in Toronto so I’m even more worried.. we seem to be last in the phased reopening (which I understand or course) but just makes it more complicated!

Hope it all works out for both of us!
  • J
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Jess! I hope to get married in October of this year too. I'm also in Ontario. I've been thinking of contacting my vendors as well just to see what our wedding would look like, but honestly, I think so much is unknown even to them, so much depends on the government regulations at the time. Makes it hard to plan!

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you're still planning on using the original date I would want to know what they think a 2020 celebration would look like. For example how many people, how would food be served, and what special instructions do you need to give your guests (masks, distancing etc.)

If you want to postpone you should ask about dates that are available, how any deposits will be transfered and if there is any added cost to change the date. If you can get a few possible dates you can reach out to other vendors to make sure everyone is free on the same date. It's a good idea to read your contract before you reach out and to have it nearby to refer to during any calls with the venue.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Of course! Hope everything works out for you!

• Jess
    Jess ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks this is helpful!! I’m honestly leaning towards just cancelling at this point. I know I won’t be getting most of my deposits back which I’ve made my peace with.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would contact them right away and just see what options you have. Like what dates are available for this year or even next year depending on when you want to get married if you need to postpone. Also ask if your deposits are transferable to the new date

I had contacted my vendor and venues in April regarding my August 8 wedding. At that moment we had decided to wait it out a little bit longer but we had penciled in a new date just in case we had to postpone. We eventually made the decision to postpone to August 7 2021 on May 1st.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics