Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Expert September 2018 British Columbia

Questions for the Marriage Commissioner

Kim, on March 7, 2018 at 22:48 Posted in Before the wedding 0 6

We are going for initial "meet and greets" with two different commissioners on Saturday. One said that while the initial meeting is free, she limits the meeting to one hour. The other one said "bring lots of questions"!

My question - what on earth do you ask at these initial meetings? It just sound like they normally take a long time and we're clueless as to what to ask about that could take this much time. I'm afraid I'm missing a ton of obvious conversation points I should be bringing up! We won't be doing anything religious or doing any readings... just a basic ceremony.

6 Comments

Latest activity by Dani, on March 9, 2018 at 19:51
  • Dani
    Curious August 2018 British Columbia
    Dani ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think it is polite to invite them.

I invited mine but she said she couldnt stay..
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’ll be using a commissioner myself. They’re relatively cheap and there’s a good list of them especially in the lower mainland so it’s worth doing.

There’s also a sample version of a ceremony on the provincial website with the commissioners list on that has what needs to be said bolded and everything else in regular text, you might want to look at that to begin with!

Best of luck with the two meetings!
  • K
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies... yes, marriage commissioners are certified to do non-religious type ceremonies and there is a standard charge (a fee plus mileage) in BC.

We wont be doing any unity ceremonies or incorporating anyone else into the ceremony, nor will be be doing any readings.

One thing we will ask is if they have any sample ceremonies we can read as we don't really have much clue when it comes to writing them ourselves!

The only other thing I can think of asking is what the back up plan is if they become sick or somehow unable to attend the day of the wedding!

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You don't have to. Many commissioners (I assume the same as an officiant) only schedule enough time to do the ceremony and then move on to whatever else they have scheduled.

When we looked for an officiant, we asked cost as a lot of officiants offer different packages for different lengths wedding ceremonies with different features in them. We then looked for someone who's personality we liked and got along with.

It was important to us that we didn't have someone who was cracking jokes the whole time as I wanted it to be more serious as well.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is a marriage commissioner similar to an officiant in Ontario (just someone certified to run a ceremony?)

If they are, I would bring questions to ask about themselves, so you get to know a little about them (how long they have been doing this, maybe ask for a funny story that they've run into).

About your own ceremony, you'll probably want to ask how they run it. If they have some sort of routine or not. If you want specific people to be incorporated, you'll want to see how they suggest or if that's alright with them. If you want any kind of together ceremony (like a knot, sand or otherwise) you'll want to check with that as well.

I'm going the religious traditional route, so these are just ones we asked our priest. You may want to ask about scripts as well as fees or thoughts about rehearsal as well.

In regards to inviting them to the reception, I would wait until you get to know them a little better. We've invited ours to our reception as we know our priest well, and would have invited him even if he wasn't doing the ceremony. Once you've chosen and you get to know them, you can decide if you want to or not. I don't think they expect it, perhaps a tip if they've done well. So, totally your decision.

• K
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Another question - do you invite the commissioner to stay for cocktails and the meal following the ceremony?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics