Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Samtam
VIP November 2016 British Columbia

Proposal stories!

Samtam, on November 1, 2016 at 18:34 Posted in Before the wedding 0 28

I'd love to hear your proposal story and if you have a pic, please share! Did you know that it was coming or were you totally surprised?

28 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on December 23, 2017 at 04:15
  • Amanda
    Curious September 2019 Saskatchewan
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He was asking me what my dream proposal would be, or if I wanted it fancy I said no him asking me is special enough !

so we were talking about something and he had me thinking that he was to nervous or worried to tell me his response to the topic we were discussing and he picked up
    his drawing book so I suggested he wrote it down!.. so he did then after a minute I grabbed for the book and his heart was beating very fast. He showed me the book and he had drawn me a picture that said will you marry me!’

I said yes and here we are now.

Proposal stories! 1
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were vacationing in Palm Springs with his family and on the we planned to have an us day. So I didn't think anything was out of the ordinary he always asks me to reservations for places so I did when he picked out the restaurant. Morning of our date, he asks me if I had accidentally put a pair of his shorts in the dryer (they weren't supposed to go in the dryer), I said "sorry I probably did. Why don't you wear the other pair of shorts brought?" He said "no I want to wear these today"...which is not like him as normally he would be like ok. I thought he didn't sleep well and was a little grumpy haha.

We left the time share we were staying at and headed to the zoo everything was normal or to me at least as I was distracted by all the animals in the zoo. After the zoo he mentioned well we left a lot earlier than he thought asked if I wanted to go to Costco, I said sure why not. Never been to a Costco in the U.S., we went into costco and I notice in the pocket of his shorts there was an odd bulge. I asked him what's in the pocket and he said "nothing" that was a major red flag to me! Normally he would pull out whatever is in the pocket and just show me. He didn't let me poke the mysterious item in said pocket either....again that was weird. I have a feeling it was the ring but I decided not to think too much on the matter in case it wasn't and I would only disappoint myself.

We then make it to the restaurant and the restaurant is called the Cliff, where a manmade waterfall was there and it was built into the side of a cliff wall. I told him that waterfall is so pretty, we should take a picture before we leave. He said don't worry we will...again weird he would have normally said "sure if you want to" we eat dinner and order dessert. Soon after dessert he goes to the bathroom (this is normal) but when we comes back he did his hair. He had a baseball cap on the entire day, normally if he was to do his hair he would do it before we go out. I asked him why he did his hair and he's like because you want to a take a picture. That was odd....

Before the bill comes he says to me, "I have one more question to ask you before we leave." And me being me....can't take hints says "OMG I FINALLY GET TO KNOW WHAT'S IN THE POCKET!" He laughed, took out the ring and popped the question!

14691017_10154542702954590_9149926400984

14650218_10154542702914590_1011073945875

• Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Timmy and I are in an LDR, but every month on (or close to) the 18th we try to plan a date night (we call it "bb day", its our silly little tradition).

We had a date planned for November 24 in Burlington (where I'm from). Then my sister (who is a science major) texted our group chat asking if we wanted to go to the Royal Botanical Gardens, because they discussed it in her limnology class (whatever that is). Tim said yes and I was low key pissed he bailed on our date, but went along with it cause it warms my heart how much he loves my little sis.

We got to the gardens and I got the stamp on my left hand... So needless to say I was not expecting it that day! We walked around for a while, the three of us... But at one point we walked up to this ledge with an arbour overlooking the rock gardens and a cute little mistletoe. My sister started to hang back a bit, and Timmy started being a little weird (his hands were shaking!). As soon as he turned me around and said "Victoria..." in a semi-serious tone (not common, Tim is a goof ball), i knew it was happening.

Tim and I were best friends for 2 years before we started dating... while I had another boyfriend. According to him (and everyone else), he loved me the entire time. This being said, he was thrilled and immediately started bawling when I said yes! He told me he started looking at rings the day we started dating, just like Jim did for Pam Smiley winking

Could not be happier!

Under the mistletoe!Proposal stories! 2

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Awwww! You also have two kids together!! That's so sweet Vera! Smiley heart I'm so happy for you! How are your kids feelings? Are they as excited as you are? Smiley love

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Aw that is such a great story! I love that your daighter was there too! Can't wait to see your engagement pics!

• Tiffany
    Devoted September 2018 Quebec
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance were together for 6 years and lived together for 5 years. We already had a daughter and we're pregnant with our son at the time. I felt crappy, all day morning sickness. My parents are divorced and I'm closer to my Mom. We were staying at my Mom's for our yearly visit (I moved from Nova Scotia to the Ottawa area for work) and one evening Mom asked us if we wanted to go out and have a fire. Since I felt crappy, I stayed in and just went to bed, but my fiance went out. He actually asked my Mom for my hand in marriage that evening, which I think is sweet. I didn't even suspect it was coming when Mom asked me my ring size. We had been together so long I didn't think he'd ever ask.
    We went for a walk through the park with my Mom and our daughter one day and I commented that the park would be beautiful for wedding photos.
    A couple of days later, on our 6 year anniversary, he took me and our daughter for a walk in the park. I thought it was just an outing as a family before we went out for our anniversary that evening. I was curious why he was stressing about finding the perfect plan for our evening though. As we were walking, and our daughter was fast asleep in her stroller, he stopped us at the top of a hill overlooking the harbour, just under an apple tree. He looked around and said "you know, this would make a great spot for wedding photos." I replied "yeah, but if we ever actually get married, it'll likely be back home. So if it actually ever happens this would be a great spot for engagement photos." That's when he stuck his hand in his pocket and started getting down on one knee, and asked me to marry him. All I could say at first was "oh my god your shitting me" because I was totally surprised and never thought it would happen. Of couse I said yes after and we hugged and kissed, then a woman walking her dog came up and congratulated us, telling us her and her husband were together for 40 years.
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is so freaking cute Alexis!!!!!! Those pumpkins look amazing, did he carve them himself? What was his prepared excuse? Also love that him calling you poohead is now part of your engagement story! HAHA

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Aw that's a great proposal story! We don't get snow out by me so I'm super jealous! And your ring is beautiful! I love the setting!

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It was sort of a surprise and sort of not. We were out Christmas shopping and he ditched me to go and buy my present. We met back up and out of the blue asked me if I preferred white or yellow gold. I was suspicious but was attempting not to read anything into it when he ditched me again. We knew we were getting married at some point but had agreed that we would wait until he had a permanent job as he had been working temporary contracts for the 3 years we have been together and we had been living together for 2 years already. Christmas came around and we were at my brother's and everyone is opening presents and I get my present from him and he whispers to be that I will get the rest of my present later. Again trying not to get too excited figuring he has just gotten me some nice jewelery. Later on that morning we went for a walk and it was beautiful and crisp and COLD out so really we were the only one's out. We walked over to an area in the city where there is a lake/pond and we get to the end of the path and he pulls out the ring box and proposes. (technically he asked me if he could ask me so I tease him about that) It was the most beautiful day with the sparkling clean white snow and just us there. He also picked the most amazing ring for me. I had no input other than the colour of the gold and I can't imagine a more beautiful or perfect ring! Apparently he had already talked to my parents about it before I got up that morning!

Engagement Ring

Engagement Ring

Engagement Ring on my finger

Engagement Ring on my finger

• Alexis
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

His parents were kind of hanging around the kitchen, and thinking back, his dad was really trying to usher me to the dinning room lol.

I cried, which is partly why I forgot to say yes outloud.

His sister carved the pumpkins. She did a fantastic job, and worked so hard on them that she had blisters Smiley surprise . So we are extra appreciative of the effort that went into everything. I just love everything about fall, and an October wedding ties in my love of fall and the beautiful proposal. He really couldn't have picked a better way to do it.

We are still very early in the planning process. I was feeling a bit lost, but I've drafted a rough guestlist and have my eye on a few (one in particular) venues that I'd like to look into further. Stonefields in Carleton Place is my ideal location! I just need to determine whether it fits into the budget.

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow!! This is such an amazing proposal story Alexis!! It was all set up at his parents!! Smiley love It' so funny you didn't realized at first and just kept on with your routine! Were his parents also there in the dining room?

What was your reaction when you said yes? Did you get emotional? Smiley shame

And who carved those pumpkins? It's so well done!! Smiley heart I love fall decors too! Is that why you're having your wedding in October? You should take a look at these ideas, I think you'll like them:

Wedding Ceremony Decorations for Fall

Fall ingredients to add to your wedding menu

6 easy wedding DIY for Fall

Where are you at in your wedding planning? Have you started looking at venues?

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow those pumpkins are amazing! Sounds like a perfect proposal!

• Alexis
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I got engages on October 21. I had a general idea that it was coming because I was involved in the ring process (my mom gave me an old ring to redesign), but the proposal was a complete surprise.

We were headed to my in-law's house for my father-in-law's retirement party the next day. They live across the street from Upper Canada Village who host Pumpkinferno every year around Halloween. They have huge pumpkin displays that are just magical works of art, and we make a point of going each year with our friends. Since we were going to be in town, my FH asked if I wanted to go and if we should invite more people this year, to which I am never opposed to. The more the merrier.

It was raining but warm, and I was 3 weeks into recovering from a surgery, but having spent three weeks on the couch there was no way that I was cancelling. I remember thinking he looked extra dressed up to be walking outside in the rain, but didn't question it enough to say anything. He later told me that he even had a response prepared if I had of asked.

After Pumpkinferno we went back to my in-law's place. I walked in, completely missing the whole proposal setup in the dinning room directly beside the entrance. I was simply following my normal routine - go to our room, drop my bags off and then head through the kitchen to say my "hellos". It wasn't until I noticed pumpkins in the dinning room that I took a peek (loving all things fall) and saw "will you marry me" carved into the pumpkins and my FH down on one knee. I was so shocked I forgot to say yes outloud, and it wasn't until being propmted by him saying "are you going to say something poohead" before I realized that I hadn't actually agreed to marry him yet.

Pumpkinferno

Pumpkinferno

Pumpkinferno

Pumpkinferno

Proposal Pumpkins

Proposal Pumpkins

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is such an amazing story!!! I think stories like this are the best ones! Smiley laugh

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He hasn't been able to record it properly so he would never let me use it. But he is writing the song I'll walk down the aisle to. We have a band for the ceremony, so they'll be working with him to learn it when he finishes Smiley smile We made a deal that I get to hear it before the wedding, but not the band's version. he wanted it to be a surprise but I vetoed that! I didn't want the first time I heard it to be in front of a crowd when I had other things to focus on and they won't be able to play the full song! We're still deciding on first dance song
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Omg that's such a cute story!! So funny about the bouquet at your friends wedding!!Smiley laugh
  • Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Awww! I love that he wrote you a song! That sounds so romantic! Are you going to use it in your wedding at all like during the ceremony or for a first dance?

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's a great idea! I love that you guys have a special place that has so much meaning!

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mine was definitely a total surprise. We knew we were going to get married some day but I had no idea he was going to propose when he did. (and neither did he!) I have been volunteering with an organization called Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership (HOBY) for 11 years now and they host leadership conferences for high school students. I attended in 2005 and it changed my life so I've been volunteering ever since. They host local leadership seminars in all 50 states in the US and then at the end of the summer they host a World Leadership Congress (WLC) with all 50 states and about 10-15 different countries represented. After my fiance and I started dating, he started volunteering with me at our local seminar in California but hadn't made it to a WLC yet. We always have a Closing Banquet at the end of the WLC and I told my fiance that he should come. We thought about it but we went to a wedding the month before so we decided that it was too expensive to have him fly out for the banquet.

He decided to surprise me anyways and showed up at the Navy Pier in Chicago for the Closing Banquet! I was so happy to see him and introduced him to everyone as my "amazing boyfriend" all night. After the dinner portion of the banquet is a dance and about halfway through they cut the music and my fiance went up on stage. My brain was having a hard time processing what he was doing up there because clearly he had to be proposing but as far as I knew he didn't have a ring! He called me up on stage and proposed in front of the entire WLC, more than 500 people! (There were lots of screaming teenagers who were very happy for us.) Luckily he had someone take pictures and video because it was all a blur! He only decided he was going to propose a couple days before so I was really impressed with him for pulling it off! He'd never even been to Chicago before and didn't really know where the banquet was going to be. Everything just had a way of working out! He didn't know that it was a plated dinner so he was supposed to have bought a ticket to the banquet but it turns out that a volunteer had to leave early the morning of the banquet so there happened to be an empty space at my table! He found a simple amethyst ring to propose with and then we designed my ring set together about 2 years later.

We're engaged!

We're engaged!

I said yes!

I said yes!

And what's funny is that I had caught the bouquet at my friend's wedding almost exactly a month before. (And I was wearing the same dress when he proposed!) I remember thinking when I caught it that it was just a silly tradition that the person who catches it is going to get engaged next but it turned out to be true!

I caught the bouquet!

I caught the bouquet!

• Vera
    Beginner June 2020 Alberta
    Vera ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you Smiley heart. We did just get engaged this Halloween, October 29/16! It was definitely like something in a movie, it still seems surreal lol !I felt shocked, and totally didn't expect it. He is a DJ so asked me on stage quite a bit, this time asking me to draw a name for him , for a winner of a prize. It was planned and I totally thought that's all he wanted lol. Over the moon excited. 6.5 years and 2 kids & a house later he proposed
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You have to start a thread with sharing your own story first!! Smiley smile

Ours is that at 11pm on a Monday night he came in our room to play me a song he had been working on. I was practically sleeping and didn’t think that was weird at the time Smiley laugh . So he played me this beautiful song written for me and then pulled out the ring and got down on one knee. I actually made a short video when I announced it on social media… (super cheesy re-creating it… but oh well)... though I cannot figure out how to attach it Smiley atonished

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is such a great discussion idea Sam! Smiley heart I love it! How was your proposal? Was it everything you expected it to be? Was it a complete surprise? Btw I really love that picture of your ring!! It's such a beautiful engagment ring! Smiley love What ring did he propose with if it wasn't that one? Smiley smile

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Vera!! Smiley heart Welcome to the community!! This such a sweet and romantic proposal!! It's just like the ones you would see in the movies!! Smiley love I'm so happy for you! Congratulations! Did you just get engaged this Halloween? How did you feel when he proposed in front of all these people was it a complete surprise? Did you expect any of it? Smiley smile

• Vera
    Beginner June 2020 Alberta
    Vera ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Engagement Proposal
    Smiley laugh Smiley heart
    Totally surprised, proposed at the Halloween party where he dj' the night , in front of 1200+ people !!!

Proposal stories! - 1

• Chelsea
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you! Smiley smile We ended up doing our engagement photos at this park (it is massive, way bigger then what is in the picture)... There are so many different places to take photos, we have decided we want to do our wedding party photos here as well!

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That park looks beautiful Chelsea! What a wonderful proposal!

• Chelsea
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would love to hear your proposal story as well Samtam!

• Chelsea
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He brought me to Jackson Park (in the city I live) and we were just on a walk as we both enjoy walks and hikes and we got to this bridge with a gazebo over it beside some water and he just started talking about all these things he loves about me and got down on one knee! I was surprised but at the same time I wasn't! We had went out and looked at rings together and I gave him an idea of what i like so it was only a matter of time but I didn't know when it would happen so that was the surprise part as I had no idea he had even went out and got a ring!

The first photo is a picture of the gazebo where he proposed and shows a lot of the rest of the park!
    The second photo is what I took right after we got engaged and then announced it to everyone after we told all of our family!

Show off your ring!! - 1

Show off your ring!! - 1

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics