Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Proposal Perfection - Who knew about the proposal?

Joey, on January 28, 2019 at 09:23 Posted in Before the wedding 0 29

Who was let into the secret that a proposal was coming? Was a bestie recruited to help things run smoothly? Was a sibling called in to help choose a ring? Were parents asked for their blessing before the question was popped? Did everyone seem to know but you?!

Who knew about the proposal before it happened?

Proposal Perfection - Who knew about the proposal? 1

Photo via @justsaidyes

>>Next question: What was your favourite part about the proposal?

>>Or start at the beginning - Proposal Perfection!

29 Comments

Latest activity by Nelly, on September 25, 2019 at 22:15
  • Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our families knew the day before
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

FH asked my dad for permission right before, and FH brother and best friend knew! Otherwise he kept it pretty secret.

• J
    Beginner October 2022 Alberta
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He asked my dad (who told my mom and brother and sister and aunts and uncles etc etc). We laugh because he thought i’d be the 4th person to know (he assumed my dad would tell my mom) but I was probably the 30th person to know! 😂 in the end, I was still oblivious so it all worked out.
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Apparently, no one. My FH was so set on it being a surprise he told no one - not his parents, sister nieces, or my parents or siblings. He said afterwards that he never thought about if my parents were the type that would have preferred him asking them first....oops. (For those who are curious, my parents wouldn't have cared about asking them first)

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A few friends and my parents and I think my sister in law

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

His parents and brother knew he was doing it. Probably some work buddies too. He asked my mom and step dad for their blessing when we got there for Christmas (almost a week before), but he psyched my mom out, told her the ring was being made, so she thought it wasn't happening. But he had taken the prototype to propose with, so she was even more shocked than me.

• Leah
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My Fiance proposed to me at my Aunt and Uncles place in Florida! My brother also lives in Florida, so he got the three of them to help with the proposal! He told his mom who then told his dad before we left for our trip that he was proposing. No one in my family knew except for my brother!

I actually chose the ring with my mom and sister in law 3 days before my birthday (Dec 2017) and it was because the store was closing and we ended up getting the perfect ring $3,000 off!!!
    I 99% thought the proposal would happen on our trip but he did it way sooner in the trip than I expected and actually did a great job surprising me!

It was perfect Smiley heart

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom and one of my friends because they both knew when I bought the ring 6 months earlier.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No one! It was totally spontaneous! He didn't even know he was going to do it!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No one knew exactly when it was happening but he had talked to my friends to get them involved in the proposal and he had asked my parents permission
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly at the end I felt like I was the only one who had no idea! My FH's entire family knew and my parents and siblings found out after my FH asked my dad. They all met us at a restaurant after the proposal. My FH's best friend who is like a brother to me helped plan and execute the whole thing. My Bestie was let in on the secret the day before because i mentioned we were gonna see each other so my FH texted her and told her to get us manicures. My barn owners knew so that they made sure we had the place to ourselves that night. Lol the list goes on and yet nobody ruined it!
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    His mom, my dad and my step mom we’re the only ones who knew! he wanted to keep it a surprise even from my mom for two reasons 1- he didn’t think she’d be able to keep the secret (😂) and 2- he wanted me to have the experience of calling her to tell her and sharing that moment
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    His best friend, mom and Aunt.
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Only a few of his friends, and my two best friends. He told them all excitedly which I noticed one of them was acting especially weird haha. But didn't connect the dots.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nobody... which is super surprising bc he's terrible at keeping secrets lol
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Just both sets of parents. I don’t think my parents knew exactly when, but his certainly did.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think his family knew, and everyone we were vacationing with (2 other couples that we're friends with).

He called my parents while we were waiting for our luggage at Miami Airport (I had conveniently went to the washroom) for their blessing, even though he already had it. The 2 other couples kept trying to figure out when he'd propose, they only knew that he was proposing that day. So everytime we veered off on our own, they had cameras ready just in case.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom knew that he would propose on Valentine's Day, and his parents knew it was coming, but they weren't aware of the specific date he intended to propose.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Literally everyone. His entire family, my mom, all of our friends. Now I know why everyone was being so weird the week before it happened.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I believe his whole family knew. His sister, brother in law, and 2 friends were on the trip with us and they all knew. My dad and step mom also knew as he told them he was going to do it on our trip!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Only 1 person : His buddy who got the ring delivered to him, so that I wouldn't see the package.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nearly everyone in the immediate family knew but me! He'd got my 2 sisters to find out their ring size so he could guess mine and one of them was supposed to take photos but it fell through. He'd also shipped the ring to my aunt and uncle in Calgary, stayed with them the for the week leading up to my arrival, and done a different hike at Lake Louise with my aunt (since she knows the area) to decide which one we should do. So it was really a team effort haha!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

His parents and sister, my parents (he asked for their permission), I think he told a few coworkers hahah! And then his Best Man! Was a surprise to the rest of family and friends when we told them!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He kept it a secret!
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think anybody, I had mentioned to 1 or 2 people that he had a ring but that was it.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My parents and siblings and his parents and siblings. No friends or extended family knew until after.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Everyone new. from my friends, to his family, my family and neighbours. They new months before I did

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Of course he did, but my dad also did because my fiance had called him the day before to ask for his blessing.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I knew about the proposal (because I proposed), and my best friend Nicole knew I planned on doing it. I never showed her the bracelets and I never told her the date though. She just knew I had a plan and it would be executed with said bracelets.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics