Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bianca
Master August 2019 Ontario

Proper Postage

Bianca, on March 14, 2019 at 01:58 Posted in Before the wedding 0 22
Please tell me I’m not the only one, but we just received our invitations, began piecing them together, now I’m worried about the postage. I’ve already purchased the stamps (lowest postage stamp possible) after being told that that should be fine. Now that I have our invitations I’m beginning to second guess everything.

Our invitations are from Vista Print, so there’s nothing fancy happening, just the envelope, invitation, RSVP card, details card, and RSVP envelope. Does that sound like it’s heavy? Should I just go back to the post office and get it weighed or trust that it’s under 30g (the max for small stamps)?

People, please tell me I’m not the only one who’s going (or gone) though this!

Proper Postage 1

22 Comments

Latest activity by Tianna, on March 20, 2019 at 16:45
  • T
    Curious September 2019 British Columbia
    Tianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Good to know it worked out for you since I literally have the same thing and didn't even consider the weight!!!! Thanks for mentioning this!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just sent thank you cards, and some of them had 4 pictures included and they all made it to their destination with a regular stamp! You're fine!

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds like we have the same stuff and weight for our invitations! I'm glad they're only one stamps worth lol.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I ordered mine from vistaprint.. I have an invite, rsvp card and envelope, reception card and a hotel card and it was regular postage.

• Julie
    Expert March 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's awesome! We paid $1.27 per invitation. My Mom had bought stamps whenever they were on sale. I'll have lots of stamps for thank you cards. Glad you were not over 😃
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh that’s great news!
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also thank you all for taking the time with suggestions and advice ❤️
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!

I ended up taking one to the post office and it came in at 27g! I just made it, woohoo!
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Take it to the post office and if needed buy more stamps from Costco.
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're worried, I would take one down to the post office to get weighed and be sure before you send them. Can't be too safe!

• M
    Curious May 2019 British Columbia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It sounds like we ordered the same items from Vistaprint. I used one stamp for national addressees , and there were no issues with the weight (one invite didn't make it <the cousin lives in the same city I mailed the envelope>, but I don't think that was a weight issue, haha!). I'm sure your invitations will be fine, but for peace of mind, you can bring one into Canada Post to double check. If you have any invites for international, you will need extra stamps.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah I would get them weighed... ours ended up being under 50g but because the envelope wasn't completely flat (as there were multiple cards in it) it ended up being more than the stamps I bought... so I had to use 2 stamps per invite. It sucked but ah well! Got it done!

• K
    Curious June 2019 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi! I just sent out mine from vistaprint with the exact same items as you and they were under 30g’s!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I bought some US stamps in early January (before the 15th), so good to know they won't be correct for invitations now!

I would get them weighed, just for piece of mind. Almost every Shopper's Drug Mart has a post office now so I would just take it to your nearest one to weigh it. Better to be safe than have all your invitations returned to you for incorrect postage.

• Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I work at the post office and I would get then weighed. The thing is you could chance it as they only spot check the machines do the rest so most of them even if they needed more would go through fine. Also if you bought that stamps before january 15th this year the us and intl stamps wont be the correct price. As us has gone up to 1.27 and intl is now 2.65. P stamps are permanent and increase in value with the price increase. Feel free to message me if you have any other postal questions.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would go to the post office just to make sure! You don’t want all of them getting retuned, because then you’ll have to redo all the envelopes to mail them out again. Better safe then sorry. Mine were thicker because they were tied with twine so I had to use 2 stamps.
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do you have a kitchen scale? if so try weighing it at home and save you the trip and it will ease your mind. If not then go to the post office and weigh it so you won't loose your mind with worry.

• Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just got mine weighed and it was over. I has a cover and removed it and it was still over by 2g. Best to get one weighed to check it out.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You should be ok as Indian invites are a lot more thicker and still take 1 stamp for local. Post offices won't say no to you for postage. Vistaprint is excellent and your invite would be nice to see for design. I got mine from there too and loved it.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you should be ok! Just for piece of mind, I would just take one to the post office to double check.

We did magnets for our save the date, and I was worried about them sticking to mailboxes lol. Through the envelope it stuck to my filing cabinet at work. So I gave it to a friend who works at the post office just to double check before I sent them all to make me feel better.

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hmmm... I got a medium weight card stock. So it’s not the super thick one, but it’s not paper thin.

I think you’re right how I’m over-thinking it, but I’m nervous that it would be a shame if it doesn’t make it.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As long as you didn’t get the thick cardstock I really don’t think that’s an issue. I know we always second guess ourselves on things like this but honestly I don’t see it being an issue. I think it should be totally fine weight wise. For reference 30 grams is roughly 30 paper clips.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics