Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Preggo Maid of Honour

Kelly, on August 14, 2018 at 12:59 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13

My Maid of Honour is pregnant and due in February!!! EEEEE!!!!

The girls all ordered their dresses already, and her's is too big, so even if she doesn't loose a ton of the baby weight before next September, it should be no problemo to alter.

My mom the other day asked if I was worried that she wouldn't be able to commit to the MOH role now though. I don't get why. The baby will be 7 months old at the wedding. We're doing a sweetheart table, so all bridal party will be sitting with their partners. Her husband is totally awesome and already is like "don't worry, I've got the kid on the day!". Obviously I understand she'll be a new mom, and will probably be breastfeeding, and will have to go do her new mom things when the baby needs her. But I'm really not worried about day of at all.

I guess I don't get why my mom is worried. I can't really think of anything that I'd NEED her for leading up to the day other than shower and bachelorette, and I'm super low key about both of those events.

Any reason why my mom would think that this is a problem? Like....what am I not thinking of here?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Peggy, on August 14, 2018 at 17:47
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We don't have kids (and can't) but we are aunt and uncle to 4 amazing nieces and nephews. We have kids at our wedding (We're expecting 15-20). They will be the first ones on the dance floor, and I KNOW they are going to love the candy buffet we have planned (What kid wouldn't love a buffet with over 100 pounds of candy, right?). We expect them to help get the party started, not ruin it!

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for saying what so many of us feel!!! Maybe I’m biased because I have 4 of my own kids, haha. I don’t get offended when my kids aren’t invited to a wedding, weddings are expensive! But to say kids will ruin a wedding bothers me. We are having a lot of kids at our wedding. We even wrote on the invitations (kids are always welcome) Kids think weddings a magical and for the most part enjoy themselves. I’ve seen some posts about people being mad about a bridesmaids having a baby and needing to breastfeed, I’m like.. really?!?! Lol. So you’re not allowed to get pregnant if you’re asked to be in a wedding party? Ouch. Lol.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Honestly I would try and get a back panel added so she can wear a real bra. Unless she already has fairly small boobs they’re gonna get quite big and they’ll feel heavy, a real bra will be a lot more comfortable. Talk to the place where you ordered the dresses, you should be able to get more fabric and they should be able to do something
  • April
    Frequent user September 2018 Saskatchewan
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Could always get bra cups put in her dress, I’m sure a seamstress has seen all of this before so they can prob give you better tips and tricks to help out
  • Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah I don't get those posts either. Why stress about something you can't change lol. If she ends up not fitting her dress...we'll get her a new one? Even if its different she's the MOH. Its fiiiiiine.

We weren't going to have kids at the wedding. But 2 of our close friends just happen to be expecting and will obviously need to have their newborns at the wedding. It happens. It won't ruin the day.

• Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm no help, but i do want to say that i love how relaxed you are about this.

So many brides go mental about pregnant bridesmaids/MOH's and newborns.

• Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my gosh...you just made me remember something. The girls dresses are backless. We need to find her a bra or something we can add into her dress because she will be breastfeeding and well...leeking! lol.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

THANK YOU! I have seen SO many posts lately with 'My MoH/Bridesmaid/sister/whoever is going to be pregnant! Help! It's so awful, she won't fit her dress/the baby will be disruptive/I don't want kids at the wedding/blah blah blah." It is SO nice to see someone who is celebrating for her friend instead of being upset/annoyed/frustrated.

So many people don't seem to get that just because they are getting married, their friends lives don't stop. They are not a brides' servants, or under her control. I am so happy you're excited for your friend - having a baby is exciting, and having the little one at the wedding will be wonderful.

We'll have kids and babies at our wedding (ranging from about 10 months up to teenagers). We want our friends to be able to celebrate with us as long as they'd like so we have hired a babysitter to be at our venue starting at 8 pm - we're turning one of the unused back rooms into a kids sleeping area with foam mats and blankets. Mom and/or dad can put the kid to bed and the sitter is there in case they wake up or need something. It's 150$ for the night that's very well spent, in my opinion.

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree with this!!!! I’ve noticed how people seem to think the MOH needs to be super involved and do a lot of work for the wedding. I’ve seen it on this forum. People seem to think the MOH should be at their beck and call, helping to plan, planning multiple parties, helping to make any DIY, address invitations the list goes on. Honestly I think people need to stop and realize that this is NOT the job of a MOH. If they want to help with all of that great, but expecting it is way to demanding.

I think your mom maybe has this type of attitude as well? Sounds like you have it all under control and I wouldn’t steal.

And to those brides who expect their MOH and other bridemades to help do everything I really hope that YOU are paying for everything. Please don’t ask people to put in all sorts of free labour, spend all sorts of money on gifts, wedding showers etc, and then ask them to pay for a dress, shoes, hair and makeup. That’s just being demanding and unreasonable.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's all about the person. If your MOH is dedicated to planning your shower/bachelorette, they will make it work, not matter what... even though they also need to plan around/care for their baby.

My MOH is my sister, and she literally has no responsibilities... and she can't even do a simple task of starting a FB messenger discussion for the bridesmaids... My mom has totally taken over the bridal shower, and I had to literally print, envelope, and label some of the shower invitations and just give them to her and say "PUT THESE IN THE MAIL!"...

I'm hoping as time moves forward and I start needing her help for DIY projects and such that she can step up... but luckily I don't need to rely on her for much of anything. Even simply asking her to come with me to try on accessories with my dress (the sample, my dress won't be in in time to try with my actual dress), or go look at bridesmaid dresses, she just sighs and acts like it's sooo much effort...

She's getting better... but sooo slowly. Sorry this has turned into such a mini rant! Haha. My point is: if your MOH really wants to do it, she will, regardless of her baby. If she blows it off, or doesn't prioritize it, she probably wouldn't have been on the ball, even without the baby.

• April
    Frequent user September 2018 Saskatchewan
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    One of my bridesmaids will have a 4 month old at the wedding, and there has been no concerns at all! She’s not a big drinker so her not drinking at the bach is totally fine and expected. She picked a dress that she feels comfortable in and is easy for her to breastfeed in.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was MOH when my second daughter was 7months old, plus I had a two year old! I did so much for my sister (I even made all of her favours) I was at every single party and I opted to not bring the kids to the wedding. My sister always complimented me on how much I did for her. I declined The MOH roll for my other sister because my first daughter was only 3 months old and I knew I wouldn’t be up to the task. People know their limits and I’m sure she’ll be wonderful. Especially if she has a supportive partner
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with you. I think your mum is worried as she, like most people it seems, thinks that a MOH is supposed to actually help you plan everything and basically be your assistant/secretary during planning. I personally don't understand that and think it is quite demanding on someone who is not the centre of attention at the event.

I think if you keep in touch with your friend, like you are, things will be fine!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics