Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Miav
Devoted September 2020 Alberta

Pre-marriage counselling?

Miav, on July 17, 2019 at 11:57 Posted in Before the wedding 0 10
Religious officiant is requiring us to go thru pre-marriage counselling before the big day. Has anyone recently done it? Was it helpful? any thoughts? TIA!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Kathy, on July 22, 2019 at 14:18
  • Kathy
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It wasn’t a requirement for us and we didn’t do it otherwise.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours required the same and mine was new at doing the course- it was supper old school one he did. We didn't find it helpful just time consuming. It would have been nice if we learned new things or they did some different exercises but ours more so quizzed about religion which I wasn't good at...

• Miav
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks a lot for all your thoughts Smiley smile

• Nikki
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Nikki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We also did in order to get married in our church and we both loved it. It wasn't overly religious and there were no lectures or opinions being thrown our way. It was really just a chance for us to chat about things you may not have thought of and dream about the future. We turned ours into a date night and would grab a drink after each session, I kind of miss them!
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had to do it in order to get married in my church and we really loved it. It was laid back, we didn't feel pressured or awkward, and it was nice to spend time thinking about our lives after the wedding. Even though we weren't having any problems or disagreements it is always good to talk through your expectations for the future. Highly recommend!

• Miav
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Tamara! I like the way you look at things. very positive Smiley smile

• Tamara
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Tamara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't do it, but I feel like it might be a good grounding experience. Help you remember what the day is about and to talk about ways that you might be able to cope when problems arise throughout their marriage.

I am a huge fan in counselling in general and I've seen it help many relationships and individuals.

I think the best way to look at it is, it's mandatory to get the wedding you want and it will be an experience that you will either treasure about your wedding planning, or laugh about. So it's really a win win : )

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes, we had to do it as well to be married in the church.

Keeping in mind we aren’t religious, the counselling was very religious based and so for us it wasn’t helpful. A positive though is we got to communicate about how much we didn’t like it / agree with some views and we thought that fact alone made it worth it.

Being on the same page and opening up communication was a positive experience we took from it!
  • Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have also heard good things about it. It gives you coping strategies you might not have otherwise.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't and won't be - but I know there are some girls on here (they may not be anymore of course now that they are married) that have done the pre-marriage counselling.

As much as I don't think that the counselling is needed and can't praise it like they did/would - they have nothing but great things to say Smiley smile

I guess it depends on how much you've both talked about different subjects like money, kids, etc. that would be the big ones that you NEED to be on the same page for.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics