Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Newbie May 2020 Ontario

Post Covid Reception (already Married)

DC Lee, on June 29, 2020 at 14:32 Posted in Wedding reception 1 6
Hi folks,

How are people planning their post covid receptions?
We got married in May (Online), and am planning on doing a reception later once things clear up (as we still have the hall booked). Would you still do all the wedding stuff, what would a reception look like when you are already married?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Alexandra, on July 20, 2020 at 16:21
  • Alexandra
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not getting married until September, but we're doing a small backyard ceremony instead of the 115 person shindig at a venue we had planned. But we decided to host a big reception next year at the original venue will all of our guests. The dates were slim pickings, so we opted for a Friday so we didn't have to wait until the end of the year for a Saturday availability. So we decided to start it at 6pm, and not do a sit down dinner, just hor d'ouevers and a couple of late night stations (poutine and grilled cheese) - our original caterers were totally okay with the change in plan. We're going to re-wear the dress and tux, have a few speeches throughout the night, probably have pictures from the backyard ceremony around the venue, and basically have a big dance party. Smiley smile

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The reception for the wedding can be in many directions based on your choice as others have done:

Vow Renewal: Non official officiant present and someone to have a short simple ceremony

Anniversary: A party to celebrate your wedding without any pre ceremony.

Actual 2nd Wedding: Non official Officiant present with someone to marry you and put the rings on again.

I know one of my in laws had eloped and threw a small reception months after with a few months in the same year. She didn't wear a wedding dress for any of it.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing the ceremony in 2020 and the reception will be on our first anniversary in 2021.

We will do a vow renewal ceremony for the friends and family who can't come this year. And we will keep the cake, dancing, toasts, bouquet toss. We've added a midnight countdown to our anniversary! I'm wearing my dress for both (I might cave and get a second one).
  • Alison
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have postponed our August 29, 2020 wedding to August 28, 2021 but are having a small ceremony on our original date with immediate family and bridal party (and their spouses). Similar to Kailey, I have a different much simpler dress for this year and our wedding party won’t be walking/standing with us. So next year we plan to basically do everything as we had originally planned for this year. We’ll still do a symbolic or vow renewal like Kelcie mentioned, and then literally do a full reception as if Covid never happened. I was never planning to have a bridal shower as we have lived together for a long time now and don’t need more stuff, but we also postponed my bachelorette party until next year (even though I’ll technically already be married). I originally thought this would all be weird, but after talking to friends and family, they’ve all assured me nothing is weird this year and to do whatever we like! Everyone was very supportive.
  • Kailey
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Kailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi,

We had to postpone our wedding untile next year. It was supposed to be July 18 2020 now July 17 2021. We waited a long time this so we decided we would do a backyard wedding with our parents and siblings. We are not telling anyone that we have done this and our officiant is doing both so he said he will even make a fake document for us to sign the following year so that everyone attending gets the experience we wanted them to have sharing our day with us. With that being said all traditional wedding things will be happening. My bridesmaids are attending this backyard ceremony but not wearing their dresses and I am not wearing my wedding dress. We will still be doing first dance and father daughter dance next year. I think you should do all the traditional wedding things you wanted to do just because the pandemic took the first day doesn't mean you have to lose out on the experience you wanted and planned for.
  • K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey! I’ve decided to push the whole thing until next year so I can’t speak from direct experience, but I know many brides and grooms in the community are going the same route as you (ceremony this year reception later). From what I’ve heard, many folks are structuring their postponed events just like a traditional wedding reception—complete with dinner, speeches, games, dancing, etc. Many are even incorporating a symbolic ceremony / vow renewal. Basically, your reception can look as much like a typical wedding as you like! Other couples are for sure doing this. I’m sure they’ll chime in soon with their more specific plans!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics