Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jessica
Frequent user August 2019 Ontario

Portugal for honeymoon?

Jessica, on April 6, 2018 at 14:10 Posted in Honeymoon 0 29

Hey all!

My FH and I are considering Portugal for our honeymoon. It looks beautiful and the prices are incredibly reasonable! I was just wondering if anyone else has been there and has suggestions of places or things that are a "must"?

Is anyone else planning to honeymoon in Portugal or Europe?

29 Comments

Latest activity by Joey, on April 30, 2018 at 13:02
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We went at the start of May, the first week of their season.

• Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi! Sorry, haven't been on here a while! I was there in April, Easter was quite the spectacleSmiley smile It was warmish, enough to sit outside, but still cool at night and not really much beach weather bc it was quite windy. I was determined anyhow but it wasn't what you'd dream ofSmiley smile

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the tip! I might come back asking for advice if we end up going there Smiley smile

• Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    BTW if you end up deciding to go to Sorrento I have an amazing property manager that we used through air bnb and had an amazing time! He helped us out alot.

• Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We're hoping to do 2-3 weeks! If anyone has restaurant suggestions, please let me know! My FH and me are big foodies Smiley tongue

• Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds and looks so magical. Smiley love I love the idea that there wouldn't be too many crowds...that was my one complaint about Italy (which I still loved lol). What time of year did you go?

• Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So awesome! I'm completely taken by the scenery. What time of year were you in Portugal?

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've been to Malta, and highly suggest it! The country is amazing and there is so much to see. I was there for a week, and missed going to one of the major cities. The resorts are also great and getting all-inclusive certainly helps with meals and stuff (even half-board would be great). Definitely recommend it!

• Joey
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Everything! hehehe. I think what I loved most was the scenery, it was so beautiful, colorful, and natural. There aren't many buildings, there weren't that many people, so everything seemed simple and lovely. Even the "touristy" places we toured were rustic and old and breathtaking. People were friendly, food was good, weather was nice... but I think it was how gorgeous and simple and natural every mountain, every beach, all the hiking trails, and every town we visited was is what made it so memorable and wonderful for me.

I took this from my hotel!Portugal for honeymoon? 1

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've been there over 20 times and that's alot to do, depending on how much time you are spending there! If you were going for 3-4 weeks I'd say it's too able. But anything less would be rushed in my opinion.

Lisbon and Sintra are amazing spots!!!! The Algarve is beautiful as well. You can head into Seville Spain, also beautiful!!!

I would live in Portugal if I had the chance! You'll love it!
  • Helen
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thx! Its a Sony RX100 point and shoot- I backpacked solo and didn't want to attract attention - so it fits in my hand, slips up my sleeve and has amazing capabilities. A little pricey but I don't need much else. Best is there isn't photoshop in any, other than cropping and some very slight correction on what was once picassa that is actually how stunning it is there!

• Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're still just exploring ideas...nothing is decided or booked yet! But definitely want to go to Lisbon & Sintra, and somewhere in the Algarve, and then depending on time potentially to Porto etc.

• Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahh looks so fun! Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing! What camera did you use?

• Helen
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Https://www.flickr.com/photos/thegingerlily/albums

4 albums of PT in here - no photoshop!

Porto- wine! Duoro river cruise, SHOES!

Lisbon- photog paradise as the light is so pure, great sights, shopping and endless places to wander, nightlife is unreal in the Barrio Alto, something for everyone. Sintra is nearby and is like stepping into a fairytale

Algarve- beaches and coastline are absolutley stunning

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Portugal is amazing! Where abouts are you staying?
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hope so! We are really excited!
  • Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds like an amazing trip!
  • Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes Italy is amazing!! We went to Rome,Sorrento, positano and Ravello last june and it was amazing. Sorrento and Positano were incredible! The views 😍
    And the food is amazing! If you do go to positano you have to eat at lo guarancino....to die for. We always talk about how we miss being in Italy.
    We are also considering going to the northern part of italy: cinque terre, florence, venice, etc. for our honeymoon because we loved Italy so much!
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your enthusiasm alone has probably sold me on Italy for my honeymoon lol. Now I just have to convince FH of it! He changes his mind at the drop of a hat lol.

• Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are leaving september 6 for our trip but starting in Scotland, then heading to Ireland. So itll likely be late september or early october by the time we hit Portugal.
  • Catherine
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If you haven’t gone to Italy, I can’t recommend it enough! I’ve been lucky to have travelled extensively through Asia and Europe and often recommend Italy as my top pick for Europe. It’s gorgeous, has a good mix of city and country/active things to do, and the food and wine is amazing. We toyed around with the idea of going back, but ultimately decided to head somewhere new so we’re going to Croatia. Definitely consider Italy!! Smiley smile
  • Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We're not even sure if we're going...still researching and comparing but if we go it won't be until next year in the fall after our wedding! When are you going?
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our honeymoon planning is still very loose but we've thought about Greece and/or more recently Malta and Italy.

• Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be headed to Europe for 8 weeks and are hoping to spend a week or so of it in Portugal Smiley smile

when are you going??
  • Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awesome, thats good to hear! What did you love most about it?
  • Joey
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My honeymoon was in the south of Portugal in the Algarve region, and I highly recommend it! Things that are a must are of course the beaches, the mountains, Cape St. Vincent, and the Ponta da Piedade

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I looooved Rome! (I lived in Europe for 4 years, so I was very fortunate to travel extensively)...

I love the heritage stuff, castles, old towns, cathedrals, etc... Plenty of that in Europe! To walk through a castle knowing the history that happened within those walls gives me goosebumps. To try different cuisines and new foods is also so exciting! Even if you're not staying there (while you're doing air bnb's), you could pop into a local hotel and ask the concierge for local restaurant recommendations!

We went back to Tenerife the second time because it was just that: super beautiful and relaxing.

• Jessica
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ya we are thinking air bnb mainly and then maybe a few nights in a hotel where we could be pampered a bit. We went to Italy last summer (Rome and the Amalfi coast) and we absolutely LOVED it!! My FH and I love to try new food, and I am a sucker for history and castles, so we definitely plan to go to Sintra!

Ooo I will have to look up Tenerife, thanks for the suggestion! We would love to have a balance of touring and relaxing on the beach- I too love a good cocktail Smiley smile

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been to Portugal, it is beautiful... Make sure you visit the coast! We did a vacation rental, so we rented a car, and had our own kitchen, and we were to create our own plan for excursions and trips. If you're wanting something a little more turn-key, there are many beautiful hotels/resorts.

Off the coast is Tenerife (island belonging to Spain). I've been there twice as well, and it's gorgeous.

I'm more of a "sit-my-butt-in-the-sand-and-grab-a-cocktail" honeymooner, but I hope you enjoy Europe! Don't overwhelm yourself too much with pre-planning, once your there, other opportunities may come up, and locals will also have suggestions for you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics