Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Frequent user November 2021 Ontario

Plus-sized brides, who were your photographers?

Racheal, on October 10, 2019 at 20:32 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 5

I hope that this does not come across as noninclusive or disrespectful in any way, and I do welcome all input from anyone who feels that they have advice or kind words!

I am a plus-sized gal who, despite Lizzo's infectious body-positive influence, still experiences self-esteem issues in connection to my weight. I desperately stress over my wedding photos, especially after being twice a bridesmaid who was caught at consistently unflattering angles.

I haven't found any photographers who have curvier girls in their wedding portfolios that can help me visualize their work with someone similar to my shape and size.

I'm looking for recommendations from plus-sized brides who have worked with a photographer who was able to make them feel confident in their skin and produce really flattering angles and shots on their wedding day.

5 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on October 16, 2019 at 10:06
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Check photographers websites to see their styles and angles. but you can also tell them what styles and angles youre looking for and ask them to capture you and make you feel confident

• Sinéad
    WeddingWire Admin January 2025 Galway
    Sinéad ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Racheal Blair! Congratulations on your engagement!

I totally understand your want to feel confident when taking your wedding day photographs. Rest assured, you will look absolutely beautiful!

When you mentioned that you have been at weddings that caught you at unflattering angles, this may simply be because the bride is the priority and the photographer will be getting the shots that the married couple wants. At your wedding, your photographers' priority will be you and your spouse only, so you can get whatever photos you want and be assured that you looking amazing is what they are conscious of capturing!

Since you are looking for a photographer that has experience working with different body types, I would recommend have a browse through the Real Weddings in Ontario section. Since these are the wedding of real couples (and not a curated selection of photos by the photographer themselves) you will be able to find beautiful brides of all different shapes and sizes. In each of these articles, the photographer will be tagged so you will then be able to click through to their WeddingWire profile if you want to contact them.

I hope this is helpful for you!

• B
    Frequent user July 2020 Saskatchewan
    Brett ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have the same worry when it comes to pictures. But my photographer is also plus size(no I did not pick her because of that fact, it just worked out that way) so I feel fairly confident that she will understand where I am coming from and get some great-flattering shots.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I do get how you feel about working around the idea of body image of size and don't blame you. Photographers are always great to work towards angles and positioning of couples to make them feel comfortable and confident in the way you should feel inside.

We had some plus size ladies in our pictures and found a way to make them look good.

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

While I'm on the smaller side of plus size I totally get what you mean about being caught at unflattering angles.

My photographer is Samson Learn or Samson Photography here on Wedding Wire. He just did my engagement photos last month and I feel beautiful in every one of them!

He's Nova Scotia based but is always up to travel to Ontario for a wedding.

Hope that helps!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics