Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Plastic cups

Kelly, on May 24, 2019 at 13:00 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11

We just found out that our bartenders serve drinks in plastic cups. I don't really care about that as an aesthetic thing. I know some people might think plastic cups are a bit trashy for a wedding, but these people bartended my friends' wedding, and as a guest I didn't even notice the cups were plastic, so it doesn't bother me. What does bother me is how wasteful it is if people grab a new cup every time. Environmentally conscious me dies a little bit thinking about that.

We thought about providing a cup to each guest to be their cup for the evening (and also their wedding favour), but we decided a long time ago that we weren't doing favours and did not budget for them. Also the cost for the plastic cups is factored into the cost for the bar already, so we're just going to stay with what we've got.

Is there some way I can encourage people to reuse their cups throughout the night with a sign or something? How would you word it (without it being one of those cutesy rhyming signs)?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Taylor, on July 19, 2019 at 17:51
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I find the reasons people dont reuse is 1 they lose their cup (forget where they put it or something) or 2 they switch up what they are drinking. The best idea I can think to solve your little issue would be a cute sign with custom little clips or something to attach. Or buy a large pack of chalkboard stickers and have chalk by the bar so they can write their names. then even if they lose it they can easily look for it and find which is theirs. Or even having a cute little station where people can personalise their cups which would be fun for kids too

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    They may not be able to reuse them. I took a food safety course, and that was a big no-no because of possibilities of cross-contamination. Its less of a risk with drinks but I still think it’s part of food safety. Ask your bartenders but don’t be surprised if they say no.

I do like the idea of the barista-style by asking for a name or you can have sharpies at their tables and have the MC announce it before dinner.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ideas sound great for labeling the names on the cups. As the guest count is being done. Get the chalk labels placed on cups and placed on tables with sharpie markers. If one gets the idea, then all will follow and conserve wastage.

• Allison
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ask your bartenders to practice their Starbucks barista skills and ask for peoples names before filling the cup with a cold drink - or leave the sharpies beside the bar with a simple sign to allow people to be creative. It won't completely solve the cup dilemma but it might help a bit. I don't like to think about the effects on the environment either ): I am not sure what our venue does...

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel like plastic cups and reusing them is a great idea! I just don’t know about when people get drinking and leave their drink somewhere ...forget about it, or just throw it out.

i think the sharpie idea is great for deciphering whose cup is whose.
  • Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A prime opportunity for Sharpie creativity!
    As others have said, have guests write their names or decorate their cup so they’re identifiable.
    I agree too with the thought that the sign doesn’t have to be cutesy or catchy. Just a “Please label and reuse your cup” should suffice. Smiley smile
  • Rae
    Newbie July 2021 British Columbia
    Rae ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was at a wedding recently and they had a chalkboard sign at the bar that just said "The bride and groom request you try your best to reuse your plastic cup" Most people did but some didn't notice the sign so I would say definitely pair the sign with an announcement by the MC and maybe provide markers/stickers.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would have to agree - the only way that I could see them getting the hint loud and clear other than making an announcement would be to use cups that allow your guests to write their names on it and even then they may grab a new one each time and it would just cost you even more money.

Best solution would be to make an announcement and perhaps just provide some black markers at each table with their cup already there rather than at the bar? (Also that way people aren't waiting at the bar to use the markers and holding up the line.)

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Plastic cups won't be used over for one person realistically. Buy packs if needed and bartenders will always be making drinks as I have attended functions in a new cup. The only solution to reusing plastic cups is getting sticky chalk peels and placing names on it so they will know its theirs for the evening.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would have it announced and just kind of relayed by word of mouth and then put a sign on the bar that just simply says "Please reuse your glass" if you don't want to say something catchy... just keep it to the point. People will totally understand.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could just have the MC make an announcement during dinner to please help the environment by only using one cup or have him say something about it! Smiley smile or you could write on a little chalk board sign something about it

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics