Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelsie
Master July 2021 Ontario

Planning Milestones! Say Yes to the Dress!

Kelsie, on January 7, 2020 at 19:39 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 28

This new year has been pretty nostalgic! I booked my first bridal appointment around this time last year - I was super excited to find my dress!

As so many of you are just starting planning, and some are in the midst of planning, or even finished planning, how has the search for your dress been going? Have you made any appointments? Do you have an idea of what designer you might pick? Are you making your dress yourself?

I managed to find my dress at my first bridal appointment but ended up buying it at my third appointment! I couldn't stop thinking about it and just knew it was the one.

I'd love to hear everyone's "Say Yes to the Dress" stories, and if you're not quite there - I'm interested in hearing about your research/search for the perfect dress!

Here's the dress I ended up picking!

Sottero - FrontPlanning Milestones!  Say Yes to the Dress! 1

Sottero - Back (Not me!)Planning Milestones!  Say Yes to the Dress! 2

28 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on May 15, 2020 at 01:28
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had my eye on a dress literally a week after I got engaged Christmas Morning 2017. Had seen it on a mannequin in a window of a bridal store. I hadn't even thought of dresses at this point and my wedding was still 2 and a half years away.

Fast forward a year later (January 2019) and the same bridal store had the same dress again in the window. I told my mom and MOH that this dress was calling my name. We went a week later to the store. I tried on probably 15 dresses before "that dress" and when I put on "that dress" I knew the minute I put it on, it was the one! Bought the dress that day!

• K
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to 3 stores. Tried on over 60 dresses. Nothing jumped out at me. I was convinced I wanted anything but a white or ivory dress....I had gone through so many... I was getting discouraged...my consultant suggested I try this specific dress because “it’s similar to what you’re describing” and “it comes in a few colours but we have it in ivory right now”. I was so over it, I agreed to try on her suggestion. I put it on and started crying immediately.....
    not what I expected to buy- but it’s Stella York with. Slow plunging back, see through sides...in ivory. Grand mikado and tulle... the owner came over and told me she would sell me the sample for dirt cheap because it looked so amazing on me. I’m so happy with it and can’t wait to wear it ❤️❤️❤️
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!! If I get sneak peeks I will definitely be posting them from the beach in St Lucia this July LOL

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow thats so freaking nice!! cant wait to see your wedding pictureS!!!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's amazing you're getting a custom dress! You'll have to post some photos once you get it!!

• Kat D
    Frequent user April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to a few sample sales with my mom & maid of honor to try on things & that helped me figure out what I wanted. I saw my dream dress on Amazon but unfortunately you can only buy stuff off Amazon if you have gift cards or a credit card, I have neither 😛 so I messaged a friend of mine that's a seamstress (Sewrenity Creations on Facebook & Instagram) and asked her if she could make it & she gave me a quote that was well within our budget 👍
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! I actually got it custom sized and it was pretty close. I needed the bust taken in about a half inch and the shoulders adjusted a bit, but it otherwise was very close to the measurements I submitted. The other dresses were also pretty close. I'm glad that when they missed by a little they missed on the big side!
  • Britt
    Frequent user July 2020 Alberta
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! We're pretty happy with it.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Eeekkk that’s so so exciting!!! Which boutique are you going to?!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The back of your dress is seriously everything! I looooove the buttons! And all the detail - I love it!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow online! That’s really interesting! Did you find the sizing and measurements matched what the website stated? I think that would be my only concern buying online - and extravagant customs fees too.

Sounds like you got a good deal though and your dress was stunning!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    CRAZY!! From wedding dresses to cars hahaha wow what a difference!

Haha thank you!! I’ll definitely post some photos once we get them - probably next fall / winter after the wedding.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You should splurge!!! Especially if you never splurge on yourself! You deserve it!

I had my budget and it actually came in under! So you never know what you’ll find!! Just pick something that makes you smile and feel great in and you can’t go wrong.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s amazing you found your dress in the first go! I think once the dress gets in your head you know it’s the one!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Both gorgeous dresses! You got a phenomenal deal as well - wow! Impressive!
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I go next weekend! January 18th Smiley laugh I have a pretty specific dress in mind, so I hope that it feels like the one when I put it in. I am super excited but also nervous. I will have my mom, MoH and two other bridesmaid (close girlfriend and cousin) with me - who are all wonderful women. However I just get really stressed trying things on for people! So I hope I can relax and enjoy.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I LOVE the lace on the dress!!

I found my dress at the first store as well Smiley xd I tried on a couple and although my Mom and Sister/MOH liked dress #2 the best I felt like it was only pretty and that dress #3 made me feel like a BRIDE! For sure had that aha! moment Smiley smile

Planning Milestones!  Say Yes to the Dress! 3

Planning Milestones!  Say Yes to the Dress! 4

Planning Milestones!  Say Yes to the Dress! 5

I went with the Venus (Pallas Athena) PA9303N Smiley smile

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When I bought my dress I needed it fast (I had a 5 week engagement!) and cheap.
    I bought it online (Light In The Box). Actually, I bought 3; An a-line, a mermaid, and a short, knee length dress. I went with the a-line and sold the others (easier than I thought actually!)
    Not a very traditional experience but having 3 wedding dresses spread out on my bed while I tried them all on was fun in it's own way!
    Even after accounting for the losses on the other dresses and alterations, my dress came in at around $400, so I was happy.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow you were suuuper proactive with your dress shopping lol! And I hope you post photos after your wedding!

Yeah that consultant was crazy good at his job - my mom found a dress the same day too. Unfortunately (for us) he's selling cars now haha.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You ordered yours when I picked mine up!! Lol!

That’s so special that the consultant pictured you in a dress and it was the one! And so incredible your mom was with you as well!
    Did your mom end up finding a dress that day as well?!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You got me at sale!! Any time you can get a wedding dress for a deal, you’re already winning! I had a bit of a discount on my dress when I bought it but 50% is amazing!!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s amazing!! I knew Maggie was going to be my designer from day 1 - every dress under the label is phenomenal!

I actually had gained a fair bit of weight (heaviest I’ve ever been) when I first tried the dress on in the boutique and I felt the same way - I didn’t feel I needed to change but I ended up losing some weight anyway just for myself - so I can’t wait to see the difference the next time I try it on!
    The silhouettes are stunning! Ugh I could literally go on hahah
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mine is Maggie Sottero too! Koda!!!! I had been to 3 different places and at the 3rd I thought I had found it, but it was still missing something and I couldn't figure out what. Then I went to the 4th because I forgot I had the appt and it was in like 20 min when I remembered it lol it was the 1st dress she put me in and I knew right away! It was just so beautiful and I was feeling really unhappy with my body shape (I had been off from training for about 7 months due to being sick all that time) but I put this on and felt like I didn't need to do anything to change. I felt so beautiful in it even at a point of very low self esteem and I knew right away it was mine ♥️
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love your dress it is gorgeous. I'm kind of looking forward to shopping but at the same time I'm not. I have never spent more than $100 on a dress or any article of clothing for that matter. It's going to be hard. I always get things on sale. There is no way I'll be able to afford any dress I really love and I dont know if I can convince myself to splurge. I keep telling myself I will but I dont know if I can.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My mom and I went to a bridal show (like two wekt after I got engaged...) for fun and for inspiration. I didn't find my dress there but I was able to narrow down what I did and didn't like on my body.

I ended up booking a bridal appointment in a small town about 45 minutes from the city where I love because "everyone finds their dress at Lockhart's". I went early in the wedding planning knowing that a dress could take months to come in. I had amazing service and ended up leaving that day with a clearance sample gown that was under budget (originally more than double the budget). I had other bridal appointments booked elsewhere but I knew o wasn't going to find a dress to beat that one without breaking the bank so I cancelled them!
  • Britt
    Frequent user July 2020 Alberta
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was about 3m pregnant with my second & my mom had flown out to give me a hand/visit. We decided to just go to a store & get some ideas as I was planning on buying second hand, I just wanted to get a feel for what kind of dress I wanted to wear. My mom is also getting married so we thought it'd be fun to try some on together. I had my MIL & a good friend with me also. Last dress I seen & first to try on & I absolutely loved it. Plus it was only $200 & I got to take it home that day. My mom also walked out with her dress (only $70 😲 )
    Planning Milestones!  Say Yes to the Dress! 6
    Planning Milestones!  Say Yes to the Dress! 7
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

WOW that dress is GORGEOUS!! I found mine in July last year so it should be coming in in a couple months Smiley laugh I went into the store a week before my appointment with my mom to find a dress for her and while she was putting one on the consultant helping her asked what I was looking for and was instantly like, "I have the dress for you." So he showed it to me, my jaw hit the floor, I couldn't stop thinking about it for the next week, and said yes to it after going back by myself to put it on one more time.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mine was actually surprisingly different than I expected. I went to my first appointment with dresses/suits from their site, but they didn’t have any of the ones I brought in and I felt awkward in everything they put me in. I figured I was going to be in a suit until I found my dress at a discount wholesale gown pop up shop. The best part was that I went in on a whim and walked out with my dress at 50% off

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics