Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Expert September 2020 Quebec

Planning a wedding solo

Shannon, on November 8, 2019 at 08:28 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 26
I'm wondering how other women planned their wedding while not having much help.

My sister's are in another country. I don't have any close friends.
in the beginning of planning everything was going good. But now I'm getting into little details, it's overwhelming. I'm actually getting really down about the whole thing. I should be happy and excited. Instead I'm lonesome and not at all excited. I still have to go dress shopping. And I'm not looking forward to it.

26 Comments

Latest activity by Shannon, on December 2, 2019 at 19:06
  • S
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you.

• Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aww that is awesome! I am glad things are going much better for you Smiley smile

• S
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Taylor And congradulations. Since this post, I started opening up to talking to more people about it, only if I see they are interested. Also I found a wonderful group on facebook, called the women getting married. Its a private group. so you can vent and share all you like. These small changes helped a lot. Also my FH daughter who is 18 is excited to be a bridesmaid. Which I love and have embraced

Cheers.

• Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im planning all alone. I skipped dress shopping and I am buying online. It is lonely but at the same time I am also finding it to be cheaper because I am doing everything online. 99% of things are from amazon,walmart,or wish lmao! Im just struggling to find the money even tho its super cheap I dont got much money. That contest thing they have on here would pay for like half my wedding!

• S
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Liga,

I like how you see this has your job. its a good way to see it.

• Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Shannon...Oh dont worry...I am organizing all alone as well! But I am taking this as job, as I would organize a birthday party for me and my partner.

My family lives in Europe and will come only for wedding, and all the sister of my hubby, I can not involve, since we want to make a surprise, where will be the wedding! My hubby is helping me with the few things, hotel booking for guests and car rental for wedding! All the rest I am taking care!

I am ordering a lot of things from Aliexpres..I use good company for decor rental, I found on kijiji 2 young girls who have small company, and they will be my girls for day of coordinators. So they will be my biggest support for my wedding day! Take it easy, look at it as some project. I love doing it alone, no need to argue or other problems.

• Kelly
    Curious February 2020 British Columbia
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did most of it alone. My bridesmaids are in different cities and my mom and sister don't live in the same city as me either. I did have friends in town but I had a very short engagement and didn't want to drag them to a million dress appointments in a short period of time and just went to them by myself.

What I would recommend which is what I did is take lots of pictures at your dress appointments (the sales people should be able to do this for you) and then send them off to your sisters and friends and get their opinion, OR if the time zones work out Facetime with them while you're trying the dress on. I ended up buying my dress by myself but with my mom on Facetime with the sales lady showing her the dress and holding up the phone so she could see all of it.

Also get your fiance involved in wedding planning! It's dumb the women is expected to do it all in 2019.

I also found the checklist on weddingwire and a DOC were super helpful in making sure you don't miss anything.

• S
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks sasha.

• Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am doing it all on my own too. I dont have any sisters and I dont have many close friends either. I am pretty much hiring all vendors on Weddingwire so it has helped me a lot. You can look at reviews on here as well. Everything will be ok! Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner August 2020 Ontario
    Sare ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did it all alone too! Smiley smile It's completely possible don't let yourself get scared. As soon as you start getting worried, it becomes less fun and more of a chore. Try not to think of it as "im doing this alone because I have to" and more of "this is my wedding! I'm planning everything I want"

I'll admit it was difficult at times because my fiance and I have a very very strict budget. What I suggest doing is taking it one step at a time- literally.

First, I booked the venue (toured a few around my area, ended up going with one that my friend used for her wedding previously as it was a good deal and pretty area)

Then, I decided on decor (colours, what I wanted/did not want, etc), and booked my vendors based on price and expertise (I booked a florist separately by pretty much emailing every florist in the city and seeing who was the cheapest/if any of them could refer me to someone cheap and pretty soon I got someone willing to help, and someone to do my sweetheart table separately as I found it cheaper than booking those all-in-one design companies that you regularly see around Ontario who charge an arm and a leg for their weddings)

As for my wedding dress, I actually was planning on doing it with my friends but I ended up randomly buying it while shopping with my mom (just so happened to randomly fall in love with the dress after going into the store for no reason), so I did that alone too.

Stationary will all be printed out at work (I'm going to buy a wedding template set from etsy and they usually have invitations, RSVP, reception signs, etc in the sets for a cheap price, then buying paper from Michaels and printing at work. Staples is also pretty good too for printing if you don't have access to a printer at home),

The main take away is, don't let yourself be upset that you're planning alone. It's stressful and definitely time consuming, but at the end of the day it's your wedding and there's no one who will make the job as perfect as yourself. Better than relying on a friend who will end up doing a bad job.

• D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If you have a theme or plan on what you want it to look like go with that. Worse case scenario get a wedding planner. They know style! But honestly pintrest and i love it under budget so i picked things over a longer period and shopped from other peoples wedding decor they had used at their wedding. Im not girlie i have five older brothers! As long as you and your FH love the style who cares!
  • S
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Casey. Some time off sounds pretty good to me. 🙂
  • S
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Dawn, going alone did crossed my mind. Then my sister's voice was in my head, reminding me how I have no sense of style....hahaha
  • D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My family is all in another province as are my friends. I did everything more or less on my own while bouncing the odd idea off my fiance. I loved dress shopping on my own as no one clouded or swayed my vision. Dont stress over the little things.i cant tell you any weddings center pieces or what they looked like from weddings i attended. Get the big things ie dress food venue photographer. Maybe instead of seeing it as a big thing break it into smaller lists or things to do and i found taking a break from it made it less lonely.involve your groom!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did a good chunk of it on my own. My sister lives in Australia and my step mom was really the only one into planning it.
    I was a master of lists. I had one everywhere. And honestly it helped a ton. I also had a calendar break down of all my appointments and when things needed to get done so I could chip away at it.
    Don’t feel like you need to get everything done in a day or week. Take some days off to give yourself a break and relax!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm doing most of it myself. Closer to the wedding I'll probably reach out to a friend or two for help with DIY projects.
  • Taylor
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am doing this 100% alone. My MOH is too busy to do anything with me and I dont really have family. Best advice is to try and keep it simple. The checklist they have on here has really helped me not feel so lost. I know what I need to do by when. Just take a big breath and relax. No one will care if your napkins are ivory or eggshell. If you want to you can send me a message and I would be more then happy to help you figure things out.

• Judice
    Frequent user November 2019 Ontario
    Judice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did a lot of the planning on my own, and it really can get lonely and overwhelming sometimes. Especially since my MOH was in a different city so asking for her help was very challenging.

I found that having a day-of-coordinator was super helpful, they know exactly what details you could miss and ask the right questions. They're also there to help you when you feel overwhelmed or just need to rant. Dress shopping can also be super fun if you do a facetime call in or even joined skype session, it's what I did and it really helped with the whole lonely feeling.

Best of luck!

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH and i are doing everything. well im doing 90% of it. lol but dont stress just make a list of stuff you need to do and tackle one thing at a time. you have enough time to get through it all. i enjoy all this planning its sooo much fun. i love researching and looking up places and getting prices etc.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did most of it. I ran stuff by my husband and we discussed what we wanted together, but I was the one that was emailing vendors, and taking care of the details for sure.

Our bridal party helped on the day of our social and our shower, and they planned our bachelor/bachlorette, but that's it. They never helped with the actual wedding plans. But I'm also the kind of person that likes to do it all myself haha.

Sounds like you're ahead of the game though! Checklists and spreadsheets are your friend for staying organized and on top of things. Write your vendor payments down in your dayplanner!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it sounds more like you are missing your friends during this time then it is about the planning process. You seem to have everything under control there but of course you want someone to go dress shopping with you! Is there anyone who is near you that seems super excited about the wedding? You don't have to go shopping only with your wedding party. You can take anyone who you feel comfortable with for opinions. The great thing about getting married now is you can talk to your wedding party almost anytime. You can update them on ideas and get feed back without them being in the same room. I hope that you can enjoy this special time. While friends and family being far isn't ideal they are still excited and happy to help anyway they can I'm sure.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We as the brides/grooms plans solo as the husbands feel they don't have much say in the end of what is being done except for some things they would like.

As you plan your day and itemized items to get online/retail shopping list ideas, a list is something to consider and based on décor style (rustic, modern, western, etc.) Once you know what you want and need, its just a matter of getting the bigger vendors done so you have booked them first and then concentrate on finding the rest. This way your not feeling overwhelmed and get your lists put together per event for wedding and reception.

• S
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds good. Thanks Tori

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow, you have quite a bit!

As for what to wear - I never did a menu tasting as we went with a BBQ place that we both have had previously and know tastes great (so many people were talking about it after the wedding!). But if we were to do a sit down menu tasting for wedding food then I would say that business casual is what I would go for. Nothing too fancy but not jeans imo. Kind of like a nice blouse and some pants and heels. And me being me, I would go for a white shirt because "I'm a bride" but then I would spill something on it.... inevitably.

• S
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Tori. I never thought of that...lol
    Ok I got this. Start with list.
    So far I have alot planned. Venue, meal, photography, dj, photoboothHotel block. Guest list is almost done. I'm still filling in all the info. I started a seating cart. I purchased some decor and our favors already. I have flowers and dress next.I think I'm ahead of the game. I'm still 10 months to go. Also we are having a menu tasting with other couples. What should we wear?
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I mean, I have my sister and mom just a 15 min. drive away but I'm very possessive and controlling so I did it all myself with the exception of assigning things and getting opinions from my DH.

Best way that I handled it was to wright lists! Wright a list for each component of the wedding: Music, Officiant, Venue, Food, Alcohol, DJ, etc. and what you are needing from them. Then go with the most important things first like the Venue and Officiant. You can't get married without somewhere and someone to marry you!

Don't feel bad if you don't have everything together though - none of us do!! lol I think I ordered our decor about 2 or 3 months before the wedding... whereas some women on here have all of that done a year before the date!! We work at our own pace but it will get done!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics