Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Carla
Beginner September 2021 Ontario

Pillar candles. Make or buy?

Carla, on April 22, 2019 at 14:26 Posted in DIY 0 7
Hey everyone!

Has anyone made their own pillar candles for their big day?? I need about 150 in various heights but they are SO expensive. Could this be a DIY?!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Rachel, on May 5, 2019 at 15:10
  • Rachel
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I made our candles! I didn't make nearly as many as you plan to, but I think it was such a fun project! If you shop around, you'll be able to make them for a reasonable price. I found a small candle making shop nearby that I was able to purchase my supplies in bulk from, and they sent it to me by courier. It worked out to be half the cost of the average store bought price. I ended up making ours because I wanted them to be a specific colour, and they were super expensive everywhere.

If you just want white candles, you might be able to find them cheaper from Ikea like others have said. But if you're going for a specific colour making them can definitely be a very affordable option!

• L
    Frequent user February 2020 Ontario
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Carla,

We also needed a lot of pillar candles. We wanted various sizes, our venue doesnt allow real flames so we had to search for flameless... They are super expensive. We ended up scoring huge at Michaels. They had sets of 8, 4 pillars/2 sizes and 4 tea lights (not ideal but we will use them for our centre pieces) on for buy 1 get one free. We spent around $200-240 all in, but in the end ended up saving between $200-400. Michaels has sales alllll the time, sign up for their email list and you also receive coupons frequently with hefty discounts. Hope this helps Smiley smile
    I'm sure they have real candles that get discounted too!

• Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally agree with Tori, Ikea has a really affordable option. If some of the sizes there are smaller than what you're looking for, you can purchase the ikea ones and just buy the individual big ones elsewhere. If you're located near the states, perhaps you can ship to a PO box and make a trip across the border? I ordered a bunch of stuff to a PO box in the states and went to pick it up. The customs guy was really nice and didn't charge me duties.

• Carla
    Carla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ikea is the cheapest in Canada. Online wholesales charge outrages numbers for duties. Just thought making them could save even more!
  • Carla
    Carla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great idea !
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Have you checked ikea? I did a quick search and they have a set of 5 of varying heights for $8.99 ($305 roughly after tax for 150 of them)

Or are you looking for like BIG pillar candles? Because if so, DIY may be the way to go - but only if you can find the materials for a decent price.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Have you looked into costs of how much it would cost to make it yourself? If I were you I would see if anyone local would be interested in teaching you how to make them and you pay a fee, they would also supply you with where to buy everything and how much for what you want?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics