Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sabrina
Beginner May 2022 Ontario

Picking your Bridal Party

Sabrina, on August 11, 2019 at 09:03 Posted in Before the wedding 0 10
Hi Everyone!

TLDR; Fiancé is suggesting to change my original idea of who to have in the bridal party and leaving me stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Having so much trouble picking bridal party members. I originally had everything planned out before we even got engaged (about who would be in my party) and now my fiancé says I shouldn't ask one of the girls I was planning to because we don't really "hang out" and we're not that close. He insists I should pick one of my other friends to join the party (He has 3 guys on his side, I have 2 Girls on my side) and I know I don't need to have them be the same, but he's also saying that they should enter in partners not in a group (I was considering putting one of my friends with 2 of his). The reason I don't want to ask one of the two other friends of mine is; one of them is getting married the same year as us, she needs to focus on her own wedding/expenses and not worry about being a bridesmaid too... and the other can't afford it! (at least not at this point in time but I would rather not ask her and save the worry than ask her now and have her back out due to financials) Both of these friends of mine were understanding that I wouldn't be picking them, and are still going to help with planning, and be invited to the bachelorette party etc. I don't know what to do!

How did you all go about choosing your bridal party?

Any insights would be appreciated... we're not getting married til 2021 but I'm stressing NOW!! Smiley sad

10 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on September 12, 2019 at 16:26
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The girl you dont hang out with much. do you think you will see her more as your wedding comes up? if youre gonna see her less and have been drifting apart i wouldnt put her. but if you think you will still be hanging out when your wedding approaches put her in. the friend getting married the same year as you willl be too busy and stressed with her own wedding.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with the others who are saying to hold off for right now. You still have ~2 years, a lot can change. I revamped my guest list 4 times in that span of time!

As for who to ask, wait until around a year before and really evaluate who your really good friends are and pick them. It doesn't have to be even and the guys could start up at the front already with your fiancé (I'm sure worst case, your fiancé can compromise with it).

As for your friends' obligations, I'd suggest not making the decision for them. They are the best judges of how much they can handle. Feel free to ask them but state that there's no pressure to accept, or feel free to accept a smaller role. That way, they can potentially participate and give you even numbers.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Don't stress yet!!! I wouldn't even ask until like 15 months before the wedding or even 12 months before the wedding!!

Friends can change, but so can financials!

Also, you can ask whoever you want (as long as your FH likes them.. can't say that he should have a say - but generally your FH should get along with all your friends). Don't let your friends wedding get in the way of asking her though, she has the ability to decline your "will you be my bm?" question.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly, I wouldn’t ask anyone yet anyway. Don’t ask your wedding party until you’re roughly a year out. A lot can change in a year and weddings bring out the worst in some people. It’s best to wait and know for sure. Don’t ask someone you’re not sure about!
  • Lacey
    Beginner August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Lacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The one point I want to touch on is the friend with the same wedding year. Don’t stress about that! It’s not like you can’t ask her and if she feels like she can’t she can always say no. My MoH is getting married 2 months after I had my wedding and I am also her MoH and I wouldn’t have it any other way!
  • Petra
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Petra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Choose people who you want in your life years from now and know will be there for you throughout your marriage. Also listen to your gut feeling and you’ll be good!
  • Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I completely agree this is your day and whoever you honestly feel is going to help you get through the day is who needs to be there, stuck to your guns
  • Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think this is so special it is great to have family involved and honestly nobody is closer than family!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    At the end of the day, you have to do what makes you happy.
    I honestly don’t have many close friends so for me picking family was easier. FH is way closer to his family than any friends. So our wedding party is our siblings. This way no one is left out and everyone will be a part of all the wedding events
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Go with you gut! honestly things like having a matching wedding party are such small details in the end, i wouldn’t bother letting it become an issue. stick to your guns!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics