Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cathrine
Devoted April 2018 Ontario

Photography - Control

Cathrine, on March 17, 2018 at 07:25 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
As part of our photography package, there was an engagement shoot included. We did it a few weeks ago and got a folder from our photographer of her edits and then a folder of all the raw unedited shots from the session. I am super picky about photos of me and I wasn’t super happy with her selects for editing. I felt there were better ones in the raw folder that I would have picked.
This got me super worried that I won’t like the pictures she chooses to edit for our album for our wedding. I ended up emailing her explaining that we would like to have final pick of what shots will be used in our album as well as input into the edits. We are meeting today to go over the engagements photos so I can show her what kind of style stands out to me by showing what my engagement selects and edits would be. So she’s super responsive to working with me but said that is not how they normally do things, brides reviewing and having final say on selects/edits.
What are your experiences with wedding photography? Did you get to pick photos or did they just send you what they chose? Am I being a super controlling bridezilla about this or am I being fair? I really want to love my wedding photos and I can be super picky about what I like or don’t like about a photo of me.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Candace, on March 21, 2018 at 00:12
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our photographer said that she will edit 70% of our photos (our package has unlimited photo captures) and will send them all and the unedited ones to us and we will pick the ones for the album but she will edit ones from the "raw" selection if we would prefer some of them go in the album
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have yet to book a photographer, mainly because I'm attempting to find the balance between quality and cost... but when you're paying a pretty fair amount of money for photos, you should be happy with them. I know the least expensive photography I'm finding (that's any good), is still $1500... some people are charging over $4000.... If you're paying 1-2 months rent for pictures, they better be the way you want. I think as long as you're not being unreasonable, it's not being bridezilla at all to want your wedding photos to be something you're happy with!

Perhaps too, if some of it is simply being too hard on yourself in photos (as I often am), get a second opinion from your FH or mother or something, they will still be honest with you, and you may find you look better than you think in many shots.

• Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Part of the problem is I apparently don’t know my angles. I’m feeling a lot better about the photos now that I’ve had time to sit with them. We also met with our photographer again and had a really good conversation. We reviewed all the photos, talked about what we did and didn’t like. We selected some photos from the shoot that she is going to do some edits on to tidy then up.
    I’m hoping the wedding day with all my hair and makeup and the dress it will all just come together and I won’t feel as stiff because I’ll be so happy.
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think I may have the same problem as you when it comes to my photos. I’m very picky, but that’s also because I only like specific angles. This might not be the case with you, but I’ll be talking to my photographer in advance to let her know my preferences and angles.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have any issues with our photographer. I'm super awkward when it comes to having photos taken of me so we went with a journalistic photographer who is in the background taking photos and isn't super posey with us. He didn't give us any of the raw images and told us he doesn't give them out period. He edited most of the photos taken and gave us nearly all of them. I wouldn't stress too much about it and let the photographer do her job. After all, it's her profession! This is what she does on the daily Smiley smile

• Jane
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Jane ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's super reasonable of you! Totally fine to request certain images that you would like edited. Sounds like your photographer is willing to work with you. Its always best to go over the engagement photos, after all it is the trial run for the big day!

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s your wedding and you have the right to request what you want. I’d you are discussing what you want for the look of the images then it will give her an idea. I kind of wish my photographer would give me the raw files because I have learned about photography and know how to use Lightroom to edit photos. Good luck with your wedding Smiley smile
  • Jessica
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Its your wedding and you are paying for a service! I think its totally fair to want to be happy with the product you receive! Do you girl!
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We get: disks/cloud/USB of all pictures
    Online gallery of editsAll copyrights for all imagesTravel includedTwo photographersI think we can add albums and/or canvas’s of whatever pictures we want. I think it’s fair that you get to pick your photos in your album. I’m doing boudoir and I get to pick my photos for my album and if there are any my fiancé wants to add he can go onto my online gallery and pick some more!
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My photographer gave me all the files on usb, so I could print the ones i liked most etc.

i love all the photos from our session- it was also a great way to kick off celebrating 9 years together
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My photographer provided us the raw photos and asked us to tell her what 5 we liked best for editing for the engagement photos.

I can't recall what we get for the wedding right now.. but if is a book I would fully expect to decide what pictures go in it.
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly, photographers are so expensive, it's good that you are asserting yourself and being proactive! It's was smart to have the engagement shoot as a trial run, because obviously, this photographer needed it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics