Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Caitlin
Curious May 2019 Ontario

Photographer & videographer

Caitlin, on April 26, 2019 at 11:14 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 24
I know that capturing the wedding is really important for me! I’m just not sure if I need both a videographer and a photographer!? What did you all choose? Did you go with both or just one and why? I know that this is going to be a pretty expensive part of the day.

24 Comments

Latest activity by Donna Yeung, on May 1, 2019 at 04:34
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Caitlin,

We went with both because we had a lot of relatives and friends that weren't able to make it due to either being out of town or they lived in another country and were too old to travel or they just had a baby and couldn't travel. The video they created allowed our friends and family members to see what happened during the wedding. We also had a lot of speeches and was able to see all that happened throughout the day. At the end of the day, it's really up to you and if you value having a video of the day. It does take up a chunk of the budget though. So if you do decide to go with a videographer, you'll need to allocate and cut down expenses elsewhere.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We only went with a photographer since hiring a videographer to create a 30 minute video of our wedding day would have been way too expensive.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We chose a photographer and told him we didn’t want full videography just the speeches recorded. He set up a tripod for the speeches and charged us a minimal additional amount.
    If we hadn’t done that we would have used one of those DIY videography services.
  • Caitlin
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I feel very blessed for this amazing gift from them something we will cherish for the rest of our lives !
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Great to hear the news and happy you both are happy with the gift. Its amazing your parents came through for you to pay for this.

• Caitlin
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I got 10 hours of coverage photos 2-4 minute highlight reel and engagement shoot with 2 photographers for 3,300 in Belleville Smiley smile I’m happy I ended up with both
  • L
    Newbie March 2019 Ontario
    Lin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I total spent around $5300 to hired the wedding photographer and videographer in Toronto for my wedding day. It included 10 hours coverage for both photoshoot and video.

Although this part is costly, but I would recommend to have both. After all, most of us will only have one wedding in our life.

• Caitlin
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes! I ended up finding an amazing photographer who also does video and an engagement shoot for 3300!! My parents ended up gifting us with this so it’s an expense we didn’t end up having to pay for and I am so excited to get both!!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We chose both!

Our main priority was the photographer but I knew I really wanted a video of the ceremony so we just waited until we were closer to the wedding so that they videographers that weren't booked up and that way they were willing to lower the price and we could still get the ceremony professionally taped!

If you can find somebody to do both for under $5,000 I would say go for it!!

• Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would like both. I want to hear the vows and speeches as I am sure I will be distracted and I don't want to miss anything.

We have our photographer picked out.

I know nothing about videographers and I was going to ask our photographer for recommendations. That way if it is someone she knows they can also work together so they aren't in each others way.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did both because SO many people told us that they regretted not having a videographer. We are actually excited about having our parents speeches professionally recorded as well as our vows. Plus she does a highlight video that we can share so anyone that can’t make it will be able to see home moments from the day.
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is a big decision. My fiance wasn't sure if he wanted to spend that much either but being a photographer, the photography was really important to me. And these photographers basically watched me grow up, so I couldn't imagine anyone else taking the photos.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Excellent photography was a must for us from the start but we initially didn't think videography would be worth it. But after watching other videos and seeing comments from couples who either regretted not getting one or thought it was their best investment, we decided to go for it and found a fairly inexpensive one. I'll make sure we watch it at least on anniversaries Smiley smile

• Claire
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We decided that we will not do videography on our wedding.
  • Caitlin
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh that’s so awesome!! Haha I know it’s important I don’t feel awkward in front of the camera and This lady seems awesome I’m just trying to decide if I can justify a large chunk of my budget to photos and videos
  • Alix
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, I think ours is 7 hours and also includes an engagement shoot. They do great work though, so I don't mind paying that. They are also my brothers friends and I've worked with them before. So I know how they like to do things and know that they like to make it fun while they take photos. Which is important for me. I don't like feeling awkward in front of the camera.

• Caitlin
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow that’s amazing!! My photographer is $3,800
  • Caitlin
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes the photographer I am in talks with for 8 hours and an engagement shoot is $3,800
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did both for the reason of having memories to look over the years and photos on a usb stick. Total cost was $2000 for both.

• Alix
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are sticking with just photography. I am a photographer myself and know that I wouldn't watch a video very often but I do love to have photos up in the house. But we do have two photographers so it does still end up being $3400.

• Caitlin
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I am thinking I might stick with Just a photographer. As much as I love watching wedding videos i don’t know that I would always looks at it but pictures last a life time.... but if I can find a good deal I probably wouldn’t say no it’s so difficult but I definitely don’t want to go over budget
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We went with both but only because we got a great deal on the videographer.

Originally we were being quoted 4,000-5,000 for videography and I couldn’t justify that!

my sister has friends that do videography full time and are starting their own business so we are their first clients. They gave a great discount which made it worth it for us.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Casey on this, for us- it just wasn't in the budget. I would have loved it same time wasn't sure if we would ever watch it again.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For us it really came down to budget and what we could afford.

Pictures are a super huge thing for me, so we for sure wanted a photographer. I was a little iffy on a videographer, not only based on the price, but also asking ourselves " would we watch this after"

Many people I know paid a lot of money for their videographer and only watched it when they got the video, have not touched it in 5+ years. For us, we couldn't justify spending money on that. So we have put that money somewhere else in our wedding.

Weigh your options, write out a pro and con list. Some photographers have a videographer as part of their business, so prices may be cheaper.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics