Alanah
Frequent user bride July 2018 British Columbia

Petticoat

Alanah, on 16/August/2017 at 00:01 Posted in Wedding fashion
Are you using a petticoat under your dress? Is it necessary?
Share:

17 Replies

• Maegan
    Devoted bride July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    View quoted message

Written by Kayla:

What is a petticoat?

Im glad im not the only one who didnt know!
  • Ashleybride2018
    Devoted bride June 2018 Alberta
    Ashleybride2018 ·

Its not necessary, tbh I hate them, they are annoying, Plus my dress is poofy enough LOL

• Alanah
    Alanah ·
    View quoted message

Written by Kayla:

What is a petticoat?

It an undergarment that makes your dress more poofy.. depending on your dress shape and style it may not look the same an it's intended to without one

Petticoat 1

Petticoat 2
  • Kayla
    Frequent user bride September 2018 Ontario
    Kayla ·

What is a petticoat?

• Carol
    Expert bride March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·

My, actually I could dress feels full enough already, i could probably remove some of the underneath and still be fine.

• Melissa
    Devoted bride November 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·

My dress is cut on the bias. So that gives the skirt a bit more volume, so no crinoline needed here!

• Shannon
    Devoted bride June 2019 British Columbia
    Shannon ·
    I'm in a ballgown so I'm doing a "peticoat" that has a ton of crinoline and has about a 4 foot diameter at the floor...
  • Alanah
    Alanah ·
    View quoted message

Written by Lynnie:

View quoted message

Written by Alanah:

My dress is similar to this only nicer. Very simple. It's loose and flowy from the waist down with beading around the waist line

Petticoat 3

I love the shape of your dress as is and wouldn't change a thing!

If you want more volume you could try on different petticoats or talk about crinoline options with your seamstress, but it's totally up to you! I was on the other end of the spectrum and had wayyyy too much poof in my skirt so I kept cutting layers of crinoline out of my dress

Thank you, I will look into that. I couldn't handle having a super poofy and heavy dress especially since my wedding is in July !
  • Lynnie
    Administrator October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    View quoted message

Written by Alanah:

My dress is similar to this only nicer. Very simple. It's loose and flowy from the waist down with beading around the waist line

Petticoat 4

I love the shape of your dress as is and wouldn't change a thing!

If you want more volume you could try on different petticoats or talk about crinoline options with your seamstress, but it's totally up to you! I was on the other end of the spectrum and had wayyyy too much poof in my skirt so I kept cutting layers of crinoline out of my dress

• Lesley
    Super bride September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    View quoted message

Written by Alanah:

Petticoat 5
    For that style, I wouldn't think you need one.
  • Simone
    Featured August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    For me, I am since it is a ballgown. It really depends on your dress. If it is poofy, I would consider it as, it makes it easier to walk in.
  • Rekramer
    Devoted bride November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·

My dress comes with a lot of crinoline under it, so no. I'm also having them put a little crinoline around like a bustle in the sides and back. Originally, I was thinking petticoat but if the dress can support it, having it put in the dress itself is so much easier.

• Shelby
    Frequent user bride October 2017 British Columbia
    Shelby ·
    I'm not using a petticoat as I am happy with the volume of the skirt. If you are happy with the skirt don't. Another option is you could wear a petticoat for the ceremony for volume and remove it for the reception!

• Alanah
    Alanah ·

Petticoat 6
  • Lesley
    Super bride September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·

I don't think it's necessary. I could have gone either way because I noticed a lot of brides who've worn my dress have gone without. I tried the dress at the bridal salon when it came in with a petticoat (or a facsimile since they didn't have one in stock) and I like how it poofs it out more. My dress is tea length so the petticoat gives it more of an old school bell shape which I like. Plus, it pushes the dress away from my legs so I'm hoping it doesn't get too hot!

What kind of dress do you have?

• Erin
    Featured September 2017 Ontario
    Erin Online ·

I am not as my dress is fitted.

Comment on this discussion