Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Taylor
Beginner September 2022 Ontario

Personal vows

Taylor, on September 30, 2019 at 09:42 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 7
Hey all,

My FH and I decided we would write our own vows, as we aren't the most traditional people. My problem is I'm not always great with words so I'm already a little nervous saying how I feel in front of everyone.

Does anyone have any inspiration for wedding vows? How did you go about writing yours?

Thanks!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on October 1, 2019 at 16:27
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Start by writing things down in your phone and keep adding to it as your wedding date approaches. you can also google something generic to get your started

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We wrote our own vows and read them to each other at our first look. I also hate speaking in front of people and this was SO much easier to do. I didn’t have to worry about what people were thinking and crying in front of them etc.
  • R
    Frequent user November 2021 Ontario
    Racheal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going to be writing our own vows, too. My FH surprisingly brought it up and I feel as if he will be in the same boat as yourself -- he's not great with his words and will likely be super nervous both writing and speaking his vows!

I've thought about writing out some ideas together about what we'd like to say as a template of sorts and found a bunch of good "relationship-deepening questions" online to help us along. Most are from relationship or intimacy coach websites that I found through Google searches, and the ones that will speak to you will be different that what spoke to us. It's been really fun to have some wine, reminisce, and think about our goals together.

A few examples are:

"What small moment made you realize that you were falling in love with me?" or "How have I made you feel special and warm?", and going in to things as simple and light as, "When was a time I made you laugh the hardest?" and sillier ones that were just fun.

From this, we built a little "template" and are now adding in as we write on our own just what comes to us.

There are lots of templates online or watching YouTube videos of vows/ceremonies can help inspire you, too!

Random associated bonus: it helped me cut our wedding tentative guest-list down to think of who we would and would not feel comfortable expressing ourselves on an intimate level in front of... LOL

I hope and anticipate that in the moment it will feel like just you and your FH in the room. In that moment, we all might choke up and end up tearfully getting out lesser than we imagined/wrote, or more, or whatever else... but it'll be special and perfect no matter how it goes. So, don't stress too much!

Smiley heart Smiley ring

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're also doing a mix of the traditional and personal. I looked at examples of vows on Pinterest as it's really hard for me to articulate what I want to say. Looking at the examples really helped. I was able to start writing based on one and then you start to be able to write what you feel.

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Google is your friend! I got a lot of inspiration from various sites with vows. I put bits and pieces together in my own words and added a couple personal things about us and voila!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When saying what you feel, don't feel anyone but him is infront of you. This way you imagine your alone and everyone is invisible. A happy place that will remind you of expressing your love.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a mix for ours. Some traditional stuff, and some personal stuff.

My FH is not the best with words either, but he wrote his in about half an hour and was actually really proud of what he wrote (it was super cute).

I looked into pinterest, and the best thing... watch wedding videos on youtube. I watched so many and listened to what people said, and took little pieces from them. It gives you an idea of flow and what others do!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics