Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Peeking at the registry

Kelly, on June 11, 2019 at 16:02 Posted in Before the wedding 0 12

Shower is in just over a week.

So, I've been informed that I need to do some "upkeep" on my registry as time goes by in case things get sold out and unavailable....do people actually do this? I don't want to look because then I'll see what was already purchased. I hate ruining surprises. Showers are already so weird because you basically ask for specific gifts, and when you get them, you're supposed to act all shocked like "wow, what a great gift! (that I picked out)". So the more of a surprise it is the better.

Is anybody checking in on their registries? Do you like knowing ahead of time what you're getting, or are you like me trying very hard to avoid it?

I already was pretty bummed to find out that when people send you a gift in the mail, The Bay emails you to let you know what they bought for you.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Kristen, on July 4, 2019 at 18:29
  • Kristen
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I liked knowing. Many submitted as anonymous so there was still an element of surprise as to who bought it. We registered with bed bath and beyond and found a lot of their items regularly went out of stock so we did a bit of upkeep and swap things out with other similar items in stock... it was a bit of a pain actually.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would check up on my registry because we started it 2 months pre-shower and things either were sold out, purchased, or some other random issue with The Bay's registry.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn’t look. If it’s no longer available, it says so on the registry. The store just wants you to go back and add things in stock because they want people to spend money there.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't do this for my registry at all and people managed. It was just an extra thing on the to do list that I never got around to doing, you should be fine to leave it as is.

• Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good call on the gift cards! I'm more than fine with gift cards! haha

• Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No I don't think the bay has that option. but that's kinda handy!

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I full on peaked Smiley xd

There's actually gifts that have been purchased that we still haven't received, so it's kind of like a game haha.

We found the Bay was SO bad with having items out of stock, which is part of the reason why I was always looking and updating it.

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have been updating ours, because things have been discontinued and etc.

Our one registry there is actually a setting that we can go on and change things... but it doesn't show us what has been purchased. "Don't Spoil My Surprises". Not sure if that is an option on the Bay.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will just make sure to put lots of items that are $50 and lower, but as for updating it - probably won't do that until after the shower. If they run out of gifts that are a certain price point the guests can get a gift card for you or they can buy something that is more expensive but split it with somebody? If only the cheap stuff is left then they can add it together and get a gift card as well? There are ways for them to still have something to get you, why spoil it?

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wait until your shower is done to update it- normally people update all registeries after the shower is completed that way they can remove what was bought and add new things and also remove anything that is not sold anymore.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am not doing a registry, but I agree on the whole surprise being ruined when you see what has been bought etc. What if you ask a family member to go through your registry and see how things are going?
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s annoying that it sends you emails! Ruins the surprise.

im going to have a really small registry but I won’t check my registry. If I get doubles of things I might be able to use them (ie towels) or I might see if you can exchange without a receipt! Not sure how all those policies work though

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics