Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Andrea
Devoted January 2021 Ontario

Outdoor Wedding- October 2019, too cold?

Andrea, on September 8, 2018 at 23:53 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 22

Hey everyone

I am going to be having my wedding October 5, 2019. I have the reception venue booked, but have yet to decide on the ceremony venue. Initially I was thinking about having it in a church, but now, I am thinking about having it in a large outdoor garden/park. It's absolutely STUNNING!

I live in Toronto, if I were to have the wedding ceremony outside, do you guys think it would be too cold for my guests at this time of the year? I know it's sort of hard to gauge exact temperatures, but any general opinions are greatly welcomed.

22 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on October 1, 2018 at 19:51
  • A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married on October 13 2019, in Waterloo, we are planning an outdoor ceremony pending the weather... I think it would be amazing
  • A
    Beginner October 2018 Ontario
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh gosh thank goodness you made that decision! Like we need weather stress on top of everything else.

My backup plan is to move the ceremony indoors in the same space as our reception. Not ideal but in the end, we are still married ... and not wet.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes. We opted for a church ceremony. Which is probably for the best because it keeps going back and forth between snow/rain mix or cloudy and around 4C so I'm glade I don't have that uncertainty looming over us anymore.
  • A
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fingers crossed - are you indoors?

• Clarissa
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh well that would be amazing. Here's hoping it stays warm and sunny for you.
  • A
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am also getting married this Saturday! I still have my heart set on an outdoor ceremony. They are saying it will feel like 31 and sunny - 40% chance of rain. Fingers crossed!!!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It can be beautiful, but it can also be miserable - just look at the weather we're having in Alberta and Saskatchewan at the moment. It's 3-5 degrees during the day, and we've already had 1-3 inches of snow depending on where you are in the province. If you're going to have an outdoor ceremony, I would seriously plan a backup indoor location.

• S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Early October in Ontario is usually still absolutely beautiful! I'd say go for it Smiley smile

Just make sure the invitations are very clear the the ceremony is outside so people know to dress accordingly.

• Alexis
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're having an outdoor ceremony on October 27, 2018 (omg it's so close!). As long as you keep it short and sweet, it should be fine! We have a backup plan though, and I've got a faux fur shawl.
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your ceremony being outside should be fine bc I don’t think it would be very long. Guest could bring the fall jackets and they would be fine; they just need just dress appropriately.
    I say go for it!

But Your pictures will look beautiful in a garden or a church.
  • A
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I like the idea of a bonfire. I spend all summer around them, sadly we cant have one at our reception but man the pictures would be amazing.
  • A
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having an outdoor ceremony and I'm getting married Oct 13 2019 in Waterloo, only way it will be indoors is if it rains. We are lucky enough that if we do have to move it indoors the reception venue is accommodating for us. Once it gets closer to the date I will pick up some throws in case anyone may need them.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In my personal opinion... I'd say no to an outdoor wedding at that time of year... especially in Toronto. However, if your wedding is small enough (more so, if you have the budget), you could rent some heaters, and/or provide fleece blankets for guests.

To be honest, being really cold while trying to pay attention to a wedding ceremony doesn't sound too fun... but understandably, I also understand wanting a certain look/vibe/setting for your wedding.

Just remember, you may walk down the aisle and be out there for 15-20 minutes, but your guests usually show up about 15-30 minutes early, so some people could be out in the cold for about an hour.

It's up to you! But if you stick with the outdoors, provide some sort of warmth, especially for the ladies in dresses!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wedding twin!!! lol I am also getting married October 5th 2019!! lol

I know we have different provinces but our weather is pretty similar most of the year. Like Shla said - it is a toss up. We have had years that October had snow and we have had years that cold weather and snow didn't show up until December!

My plan is to buy/rent/make some blankets for the wedding. If it is warm then I won't need them but if it is chilly then they will not only help warm people up but make for cute pics as well.

Because we are also having bonfires at my wedding we will be telling guests to bring a change of clothes to change into after the ceremony is complete so that they can get comfy Smiley smile

• Clarissa
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am getting married this October 6th. I was hoping for us to be able to hold the ceremony outside but the weather is just too unpredictable for that time of year. It could be +20 and sunny, thunderstorms, windy beyond belief, or -5 and threatening to snow.

If your heart is set on outdoors then I would have a solid backup plan and be ready to change plans in the week leading up to the day of need be.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have booked our wedding for October 4 2019 and are having it completely outside.
    My step sister got married early October a few years ago and it was hot! It really is hit or miss.
    Our reception space will have standing heaters just in case and we can close it in if we want.
    Just make sure you have back up plans, or you could even provide some blanket scarves for guests if they get cold!
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to a wedding in October a few years ago, and they had the ceremony outside. It was close to the Guelph area, and it was a little chilly, especially as it got darker, but it was a lovely ceremony still. They had a tent reception with standing heaters to keep people warm so you could maybe rent some of those for the ceremony, just in case. Just warn people to come prepared with jackets Smiley smile

I would maybe worry about being rained out though. October can be unpredictable!
  • Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's such a guessing game with weather. My brother had an outdoor wedding October 6th 2012 and we were all freezing. But a friend had theirs October 15th 2016 and it was fine.

I'd just have a backup plan in place just in case the weather isn't on yoir side.
  • Andrea
    Devoted January 2021 Ontario
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hear what you're saying, Emily. That's my biggest thing... really scared if I do an outdoor wedding if it's going to rain. Yes, please let me know how it turns out!!! I hope you have a fantastic wedding!
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you are doing our wedding early October you should be fine! We found our wedding around that time and the weather was really nice. I am getting married October 13. We are planning to have an outdoor ceremony as long as it’s not raining. I will let you know what the weather turns out to be!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My cousin really wanted an outdoor wedding and had the wedding in her parent's barn in late October. It was definitely chilly! I think an outdoor wedding in October is a risk, but if it's what you really want, go for it! I would just suggest letting people know it's going to be outside and to expect people in slightly more casual wear (not alot of dressy women's wear that is also really warm!) I would also suggest looking into renting heaters for the space just in case it is chilly and also looking in to buying/renting blankets for guests who get chilly.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's definitely a risk you're taking - it could go either way weather-wise. If you're prepared for any type of weather and to embrace it no matter what the forecast calls for on your day, go for it. Otherwise, play it safe with the church.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics