Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jennifer
Super August 2018 Alberta

Order of Speeches/mc details

Jennifer, on May 2, 2018 at 06:47 Posted in Wedding reception 0 16
In what are order are you having your wedding speeches? I’ve seen a few different orders and was just curious what everyone is doing?

Also, what info did you give or are you giving your MC? Ours recently asked us some questions and I only really thought about giving him a timeline of events. He was also wondering about some honourable mentions and what our wishes are for games. Do we need anything else? I know we’re still thinking of a way to send tables for dinner (buffet style) so we’ll need to let him know that. I feel like I’m missing so many things now. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance! Smiley smile

16 Comments

Latest activity by Alexandra, on May 8, 2018 at 02:27
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re having a buffet so in between courses wasn’t an option for us, but rather than having everyone nervously awaiting their speech throughout dinner, we’re doing ours before dinner. So we have three speeches:
    Father of the Bride
    Best Man
    Groom (on behalf of us both)

Once they’re all wrapped up we’ll start dinner!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have yet to decide on hiring a DJ or not so the question of who will be MC is also undecided.
    We will likely do speeches during dinner, nearer to the end that way guest can enjoy the meal, socialize etc.
    As for the order of speeches:
    Brides Parents (if they want)
    Groom's Parents (of they want)
    Groom's brother
    Brides siblings
    MOH
    Bestman
    Bride and Grooms thank you speech
    We will ask all those giving a speech to make it short and to the point, no more than 5 minutes each except for MOH and Best man because I know they both want to tell a few stories and such.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our MC is my brother and we basically gave him free reign of the night. We will let him know what we want done, but he will basically be in charge of the order and timing (one less thing for me to think about!)

For speeches, we are having Maid of Honour, Best man, his parents, my parents, our thank you speech. This is typically the order I have seen speeches done in. I would like for there to be a bit of break but, it's up to our MC really!

• Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our MC (uncle haha) suggested that the first person to bring him something (he said a bra but that definitely won’t be happening hahahahaha) their table would get to go eat and he would just keep playing. Which isn’t a bad idea maybe like the first 3 tables (one person from the table) to bring him the item he asked for gets to go dish up. I’m still not sure if I want it to be a game or just keep it simple. Also not sure how many tables should go dish up at once. We have 5 weddings to go to before ours this summer so I hope I get some inspo from them!
    Yep he did ask about the glass clinking or he mentioned to make it more challenging for the guests that they have to come up and sing a love song if they want us to kiss lol we just have to get back to him and let him know what we’re comfortable with I suppose.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'll be telling our MC when to start getting people to sit down, first dance announcement, speeches, late-night food stations, when the bar is closing, etc. Just the stuff that needs to be announced.

• Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I want buffet order ideas too...I'm going to watch this thread lol. We aren't having too many speeches. Our order will likely be:
    His parents
    My parents
    Us.

I think the DJ wants to know what your perameters are for bride/groom kissing games. A lot of people do the glass clinking to make them kiss (Which I think is really fun) but a lot of people hate it. That may be what he means. Smiley smile
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    DJ order of calling speeches: (suggestion)

Friends of the couple
    bridal party MOH and Best Man
    Siblings of both families
    Parents of the couple
    Bride and Groom

Go by order of table numbers starting with 1 to 3 and so on. That way you cover a lot of tables dach time.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I personally like the order of parents, then MOH/BM. but you can go in any order.
    one set of parents...then MOH...then other parents etc.
    for us it will be parents, BM then MOH. only because I know our BM will make a funnier speech and then MOH will be a bit more heartfelt.

• Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I like this order, I feel like my MOH will be nervous to go first lol maybe we’ll ask the best man and then her. We’re also hoping to get around to all tables although my future in laws say that probably won’t happen. We’re expectting around 300 guests. I’d really like to try and talk with everyone!
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes, we’d like to start during dinner too that way they get done earlier just not too sure of who should go first, best man and maid of honour speeches or parents
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha yeah I’m not one for speeches either I’ve cried in all my MOH speeches I’ve given lol hopefully my fiancé will carry us through. I figured we would go last too, thanks!
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have an official MC. Our DJ made announcements and introduced us as we came in at the start of dinner. My MOH did a little housekeeping announcement, explaining the clinking for glasses for kisses, a game we had for our guests to play, etc. We then did speeches in between courses. My MOH went first, then the Best Woman when she was ready. My sisters did a speech then our sets of parents, all spaced out through out the meal. We wrapped up the food with my husband and i giving our speech.

It went really well and we even got compliments on how the speeches were done. People didn't feel like they were listening to an endless drone of people talking.

We also fit in walking around to each table through out the meal to say hello and thank you to everyone.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I MC'd two weddings last year. and speeches were done during the eating/meal portion (they both had plated dinners). so it went one set of parents during salad, one after salad. best man/maid of honour during main course. bride and groom said a speech during dessert.

• Meghan
    Frequent user August 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes, neither of us really like making speeches so we’ll just give a brief thank you at the end of the dinner before the dance starts!
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ok thank you! Will you and your fiancé be making a speech?
  • Meghan
    Frequent user August 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re having our speeches in between courses. So our MC will welcome everyone and then my parents will make a speech before the appetizer. Before the main course is served our best man and maid of honor will make their speeches. Then my fiancé’s parents will make a speech before dessert.

The only thing we’re giving the MC is the order of everything so he knows when he has to introduce people etc. and we will also let him know any games we want to play.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics