Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick

Omg... Seriously?!?!

Amanda, on August 3, 2018 at 11:43 Posted in Before the wedding 0 23
So. I'm currently 1.5 months away from my wedding, and I figured I'd check in with my officiant to send him the modified script, make sure no action is required on my end (etc). When my email (his work email address) bounced back I figured I'd just call the office.

They then informed me that he's taken a job in FREAKING NUNAVUT!!!

I have since emailed every registered civil officiant in the province and have a few options, so it's not the end of the world, but WHO DOES THAT?!?!

Furthermore, there is the $100 deposit to secure the date that, clearly, wasn't secured. I AM looking on the bright side, as at least I found out now and didn't have him simply not show up on the wedding day... But SERIOUSLY?!?!

23 Comments

Latest activity by Kaye, on August 7, 2018 at 14:38
  • Kaye
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I understand. Im 24 days away and my officiant cancelled :/
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is very unprofessional! Did he work for a company? If so, I would think it is the company's responsibility to supply you with a new officiant. I am glad that you have other options but I would definitely warn other people about this company/person.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Does he have an online review list anywhere? I would leave a HORRIBLE review for him online somewhere maybe that would get his attention! I'm so sorry u had to deal with that that's not only DREADFUL but I'm pretty sure illegal to take your deposit money and bounce... a lawyer who's a straight up theft that's worth bringing to the police IMO
  • Amanda
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lol nope. He won't answer any of my messages/emails. This guy is a freaking LAWYER! Aren't you supposed to be like... Lawful? I mean... At least your not supposed to be a complete degenerate?!
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Please tell me you got your deposit back!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's unprofessional! Glad you have other options. You should get the deposit back as they didn't hold up their end of the deal. Not what you want to deal with though a few weeks before the wedding.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not sure how it works where you live but here in NS all the pricing etc. that officiants can charge is regulated so I would be contacting them to complain. I would be livid though I have heard horror stories of vendors cancelling it is definitely my biggest fear.

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow thats awful, at least have the decency to inform you! I would definitely get your money back!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow, that's brutal. Honestly, biggest fear of mine is a vendor not delivering on something.

Glad you have other options tho!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that's a fear many of us have! I agree with others, take it to the association, AND try and get your 100$ back.

That's a terrible thing for him to have done!

• Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is awful! A courtesy email about moving, or a refund of your $100 would have been. It is a good thing that you followed up and have already found some other options. Hopefully it all works out great!

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’d be furious too honestly that’s awful! I’m thankful you have options at least to cover the ceremony but I agree with everyone else. Report him, push for that deposit back. He definitely hasn’t reserved the date for you so he doesn’t need it.

Best of luck to you in getting through this!
  • Christine
    Beginner October 2019 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

People are so frustrating. He could have at least told you he wasn't going to be able to make it!

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Omgggg! So frustrating!
  • Julie
    Expert March 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank goodness you followed up. I am sorry this has happened. I hope you are able to get your deposit back.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's terrible and a nightmare ti hear what happened to you. There should have been a heads up about not making it.

Good for you to take action and did what was needed. I would have a contract signed and get confirmed with the next officiant.

Good luck on the search and better have this one show up!
  • Cindy
    Newbie September 2018 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh my goodness, my worst fear come true. I'm getting married in a month also. I also plan on touching base with all parties ahead of time!
    I agree, report him to the association, as who knows how many others he has done this to, who may not be aware yet!
    Happy Wedding Day to All ❤️🍾
  • April
    Frequent user September 2018 Saskatchewan
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our officiant just bailed last night and we’re getting married in less than a month. He said he had a family issue that weekend now but still super frustrating, we had programs made with his name on it. 😡
  • Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am with Angel. You should file a complaint against him to the Association. I hope you will find a new one very soon.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Angel - I would go after not only my money (even though to some it may be "only $100) and go after his license being revoked. So not cool.

• Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is super unprofessional! You should complain to the officiant association and get his license suspended!

• Megs
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Megs ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow that’s terrible!! Thank goodness you found out now. I hope you are able to get your deposit back.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

YIKES! Yeah "omg seriously?!" is the reaction I'm having too.... Way to give everyone a heads up, jerk! He probably just tried to slip away so no one would as for their deposits back... UGH.

Glad you were able to sort it out for a new officiant though! What a nightmare that would have been to have no one there on the big day!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics