Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michelle
Curious September 2019 Manitoba

Officiant gift..yes or no

Michelle, on March 15, 2019 at 12:37 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 15
Did anyone get the officiant a gift? If so, ideas please.

15 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on April 16, 2019 at 16:43
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends if its a family, friend or a hire. If a hire, I would say no gift or tip is required. If its a family or friend doing it for free, I would definitely consider a gift for them.

• Rachel
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A gift for an officiant is not required, and some will not accept a tip. When I looked into it, it was suggested to make a $100 donation to the church they are associated with. If they are non-denominational, then if they will accept a tip, provide a $100 tip. I know our officiant personally, and she has been part of my life for many years, so we have decided to make a $100 donation to a charity that I know is near and dear to her, as I feel this is what she will most appreciate.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not! We have invited out priest to the reception/dinner after as a "gift" I suppose?

We will likely do a thank you card with a photo of them included!

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our good friend is marrying us, so we will be getting him a gift as a thank you.

I'd say if you're hiring somebody to marry you, then you are not required to give them a gift. They are getting paid to provide a service.

But if like us, a friend is marrying you and not getting paid, then a gift would be a great idea.

Unfortunately I don't have gift ideas. We're a bit at a loss for that too. My fiance officiated his friend's wedding and they got him a leather wallet. I think it was the same gift the groomsmen got.

• Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really never thought about it. I did offer for Candice and her husband to come join us at our Wedding Reception but she said no. At Rehearal everyone else be getting their gifts, maybe there's something to talk about. Thanks for letting us know, I would never have thought about that. Maybe a card and something not sure what yet

• S
    Newbie August 2020 Quebec
    Stephanie-Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will not be doing a gift for the officiant, but if you decide on a gift some options could be a pen (order a customization one off amazon) but a thank you card would be more than sufficient

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I won't be doing a gift.. We are paying everyone so no.

• Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was just looking up today on WeddingWire about tipping. So seems on top of the cost of everything we still have to tip everyone. Officiant may $50,
    photographer $50 to $100, hair & makeup person 15% to 20% tip and can’t remember the others but made myself a list.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're paying her, so no need for a gift.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No gift was given to the officiant.

• Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our officiant is a pastor friend of ours, so since he's a friend and doing us a favour of by not charging us, we will be getting him something
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our officiant is my FH's family church's priest. I really dislike him actually lol. So I'm not giving him a gift other than a cursory thank you card and the $800 that goes to the church for using the venue.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was just going to ask this same thing. I'm thinking a thank you card will suffice.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My officiant told me the best gift/tip is recommending her to other brides - fitting since we found her based on a friend's recommendation. So we probably won't get her a gift, but we'll send her a thank you card with a picture of her marrying us.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As far as I'm aware we won't be Smiley smile
    We have asked my FH's uncle to perform the ceremony but even if it was somebody we were hiring we probably wouldn't get them anything unless they went above and beyond with no pay (like the wedding party and parents)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics