Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Newbie May 2021 Ontario

Officiant

Anastacia, on December 15, 2019 at 19:27 Posted in Ontario 0 12
My fiancé and I are currently browsing for officiants for our May wedding. Most of the ones we’ve seen is around $400 which is out of our budget. Any help or suggestions?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Gloria, on January 18, 2020 at 02:14
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When I was still looking the prices varied from $375 andup. Our officiant I believe was closer to $500. One good thing is that you put down a deposit and then have about half left to pay by time wedding comes around Smiley smile
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Maybe you can do a search on weddingwire? check google and contact a bunch of officiants!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A family member or friend can go online to get their officiant license. The cost itself is close to what you would be paying. I had searched around and we paid $350 being reasonable. Your quoted price is reasonable too and fair unlike courts and others wanting more than $400.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    In Ontario it is actually very difficult to become licensed to perform marriages. Friends and family cannot become licensed to officiate for a wedding, they actually need to be authorized through a recognized religion, or be a city clerk or judge. So we are somewhat limited in choice. Luckily, we don't have a set fee here so officiants can charge whatever they feel like/whatever people are willing to pay.
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In my province the officiant is a set fee across the board, it might be like that in Ontario too.

If that is out of your budget you could always suggest a friend or family member be ordained and have them officiate the ceremony

• M
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depending on where you are, that's fairly standard pricing. In the Waterloo and Toronto region, 300-500 is the norm. I usually advise spending decent money for a good officiant; my mother is an officiant and I've been to easily over 100 weddings with her; guests talk about the ceremony after! They are also the only required part of the wedding, as they have to help with the paperwork and sign your marriage documents so you want someone knowledgeable and experienced to get it all right! I've heard horror stories of officiants who didn't do paperwork properly and the couples were legally not married for years before they found out!!

• M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just did a search and I see what you mean. Ottawa officiants are spendy! The least expensive I found was for $325 lisacarterofficiant.com

One suggestion I have is to ask them about an elopement ceremony, or find an officiant who specializes in elopements. It means you would be giving up a lot of personalization, but it would bring the price down. And you can have that sort of ceremony regardless of how many people are present.
    Ours was an elopement ceremony. It was maybe 15 minutes long, had one reading, our vows (which were specific to us), and seemed pretty similar to any other non-religious ceremony we've been to, but it was billed as an elopement ceremony. We met once and then communicated via email, so there weren't lots of in person meeting sessions. So that may be an option.
  • A
    Newbie May 2021 Ontario
    Anastacia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our venue does have recommendations but they’re are a bit pricey. That’s awesome! I wish but unfortunately we do not know anyone who is licensed
  • A
    Newbie May 2021 Ontario
    Anastacia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow! That’s great! I’m located in Ottawa, getting married at Stonefields in Carlton Place
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Does your venue have any recommendations? Sometimes some places have preferred partners (not that you have to go with them). Or you could do like what we’re doing where a friend of ours is licensed and is doing it for us. We liked that because she’s close to us and it personalizes our ceremony.
  • M
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My officiant was $175. I'm in Hamilton. If you can provide a bit more information regarding your location we may be able to point you in the direction of some reasonably priced options.
  • L
    Frequent user February 2020 Ontario
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We found ours at a wedding show. She had a deal for bride and grooms she met at the show. Could be something to look into !

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics