Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lydia
Devoted June 2019 British Columbia

Officiant?

Lydia, on May 31, 2018 at 15:42 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 20
Hi,

My fiancé and I are planning on booking an officiant form the government website, since we don't need it all personal and don't need our own vows etc so would like it simple (and cheap(er)). Since we thought that these would be a bit less popular and that we had plenty of time we were planning on doing that way later down the line (we're only getting married in June 2019 so over a year away). But now I've seen someone's post looking for government wedding officiants in one of the Facebook groups of my area and she's also getting married in June 2019. Am I wrong for thinking I can put this off till later (like 6 to 4 months before the wedding or whatever)? When did you book your officiant?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Kay, on June 4, 2018 at 09:18
  • Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The officiant and the photographer were the first two things I booked (aside from the venue). I essentially checked with those three vendors, figured out which days they were available, and booked all three of them simultaneously. hah. I'd get on the officiant thing ASAP. It is literally the one thing you need to get married. The rest of it is "details".

• T
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    ASAP ... I was lucky to find one for the time we wanted
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you should book sooner than later. Officiants can get pretty busy as there are more weddings than officiants but you can also always find an officiant through a company on WeddingWire as well.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It can’t hurt to book early! I’m planning on booking mine in the next few weeks and I don’t get married until November 2019. Just with there being so few marriage commissioners I really don’t want to risk them booking up. (which I doubt they will for mine seeing as it’s off peak but still!)
  • Jane
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Jane ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We booked ours about 10 months in advance. I had a hard time finding a photographer with about a year notice, so I got a bit worried, and booked her sooner. I would say the sooner the better, gives you some time to find a person you like.
  • Lydia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Happy to hear it's useful to you as well ^^!
    I'm glad there's so many replies I didn't expect this :o gonna try to find someone asap
    Good luck!
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would book your officiant as soon as possible, some get booked up really fast. We had a hard time finding an officiant for our day because we started looking 5-6 months before hand.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so glad I came across this post since I was planning to wait to book our officiant. Not going to wait anymore!

• Lydia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Breanne!
    Thanks for your reply and warning :o Sorry it turned out to be difficult for you even if it was like half a year before almost :o I'm happy you still found someone but yea definitely gonna look into it soon then!
  • Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We booked ours about a month ago. The sooner the better
  • Lydia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yea, that definitely makes sense :o didn't really think that through. Thanks!
  • Lydia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh my, even already booked :o
    And you guys also went through the ones the government offers?
    Thanks so much for your reply :o we're quite close together for wedding dates so I'm definitely gonna look into it ><
  • Lydia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oofff Haha, that's unexpected! Thanks so much for all the replies. I think I'm gonna research some officiants tonight Smiley tongue
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have already booked ours and our wedding is May 2019. We contacted a couple people who were already booked for our date so we are glad we did it early
  • K
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Keri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Same day as ours, Tyanna! 😊

We definitely do not have our officiant booked yet... we’ve asked a close family member to perform the ceremony & then have an officiant sign off on everything. That’s what we’re hoping to do, not sure if others have gone that route?
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've already booked mine.. my wedding is june 22 2019!
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn’t put it off. Hiring an officiant is becoming very popular because more and more people want to get married in a location other then a church.

It it doesn’t hurt to start looking.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We get married June 1, 2019. We booked ours in January. She's a very popular one where I'm from so we wanted to get her asap!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Consider 9 months prior if they start getting booked for your week. See the charges and we found an officiant not from the governement cheaper than their rates. We weren't charged for taxes.
  • Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Lydia,

I thought it was something we could put off as well and started looking at about 5-6 months and it took me awhile to find someone because so many were already booked for the summer. I finally found someone through a company (All Season Weddings) and he's great but it took me awhile to track down someone that wasn't booked. I would suggest maybe starting your search late summer/early fall?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics