Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emma
Newbie September 2021 British Columbia

October Brides

Emma, on May 4, 2020 at 18:01 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 23

Hi everyone,

I love seeing everyone's elopement photos! We are getting married October 24th and I am wondering if anyone in October has decided to cancel yet or if you are waiting it out?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,

Emma

23 Comments

Latest activity by Emma, on July 8, 2020 at 18:25
  • Emma
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have just made the decision to postpone our October 24th wedding. We hope that by postponing our family in harder hit provinces will be able to make it. Hard decision, but feels right.

• Nicole
    Beginner May 2021 Ontario
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m originally May 23, 2020 and too quickly moved our wedding the day of our lockdown in March for Sept 26, 2020 which I feel we may need to move again. But we made the decision in March, we had to decide quickly before our venue shut down. Covid was just starting in Canada. I think we are waiting until the end of July or early August to decide to stay and work with whatever the numbers they have or move to 2021. If I do move the wedding it’s my 3rd time planning a wedding!!!!
  • K
    Beginner September 2021 Alberta
    Kathryn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    October 22nd here! We have already postponed as our wedding involves family from the UK. Not worth the risk for the international travel. We are working with the venue to reschedule for October 2021. Most of our vendors have been great and have agreed to reschedule for us. The ones that aren’t, we will see what happens closer to the original date and if there is no flexibility we will cancel them and find others. I get they have a business to run, but these are unheard of times, and I’m not prepared to put my parents health at risk!
  • T
    Beginner October 2020 Alberta
    Tasia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oct 17th here! That’s already our postponement date, we were supposed to get married May 30th. We decided we aren’t postponing any farther. We just want to get married however that day looks for us. We have a plan A, B and C at this point. Can’t wait to see which option we get to use haha!
  • Zara
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Zara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue didn't want to put a date on hold so we eventually decided to postpone it. Hopefully by May 2021, this will be over.

• Jenny
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    Jenny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our date is Oct 10 however this is already our postponed date! We were supposed to get married in August in Mexico but travel is a no-go. It's happening in October no matter the circumstances. Our venue has been very accommodating with deposits and contracts. Everyone has been very understanding of all the last minute decisions and we will make it work when the day comes!
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Emma,

We have our final decision call with our venue in two weeks time as well. We are heavily leaning towards postponing. Our venue sent out a guide of what the wedding will look like given the restrictions and it was terrible, just not the kind of day I want at all.

After an exhausting weekend of fiancé and I discussing, we have just come around to postponing to hopefully get the wedding we planned next year.

• Michelle
    Beginner September 2022 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our wedding date was October 24 as well. We decided two weeks ago to make the call and postpone. We originally wanted to wait until end of August early September to make the decision, but as of June 1 we hadn't even sent out our invites and the RSVP date was August 31. I wasn't excited to get the invites ready and mailed.

We have a new date of September 25 2020. I'm a planner and not being able to control what was going on was causing some serious stress lol.
    After postponing I feel alot more positive about the wedding next year. I'm in Ontario and they have eased restrictions - but I don't think things will be back to normal as to how I envisioned my wedding day. We knew some people wouldn't feel comfortable going and I had no desire for people to be wearing masks at the wedding. Again, the just goes with how I envision my day.
    We are happy we postponed, but I would have loved to keep my original date. I just didn't have the mental strength lol. My bachelorette had already been cancelled and I really didnt know how to proceed with the shower. Weird times.
  • Emma
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How is everyone feeling now? We are having to make the call in the next two weeks and really struggling.

• Carling
    Frequent user November 2021 Ontario
    Carling ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m November 7th, so not too far off from October. Our plan is to hold out and decide around August likely whether we continue with this year or postpone to next year.
  • Nicole
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding was set for October 30, 2020 in Ontario and we've just started the process to postpone to October 2021. There was just too much anxiety and stress surrounding the whole thing, so we decided to postpone. It wasn't an easy decision by any means, but now that we've made the decision, I feel like a huge weight has been taken off of our shoulders. I was really dreading making this decision, but I'm so happy now that we did and honestly wish we made it sooner. Our venue and all our vendors have been fantastic to work with during all of this, so we've been really lucky. Good luck to you! Smiley heart

• A
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    Annie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is October 18,
    At first I wasn’t too worried has I felt it was still a long way from now. But now that it’s almost June, my bridesmaids haven’t been able to get their dresses, same thing with groomsmen or my fiancé to get his suit with stores being closed we had to cancel our stag and doe...
    In Ontario we still have the limit of 5 people to be able to gather. So the more my fiancé and I talked we thought the ceremony is what is the most important. To be honest I hate being the center of attention and doing something intimate like an elopement on our actual wedding day at a beautiful cottage sounds actually quite lovely. I just hope we are able to have our parents there at least. Now we are debating if we still want to do a reception next year. I’m not sure my venue would reimburse our deposit. But we also don’t want to be paying for two event either... so here’s the dilemma... has anyone been able to get some of their deposit back?
  • Alexandra
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m in Ontario and we are just starting to open things up this week, but it’s very limited. We have October 3, 2020 booked, but I don’t think it will be possible so we did a soft booking for October 2, 2021. The guys don’t have suits and there’s a ton of other things that haven’t been able to be done because of COVID. Booking an alternate date was the biggest relief. We have a huge guest list 350+ so there is no way we could even cut it down to 50-100 if they’re even allowing that by then. Everyone keeps talking about this second wave in the fall so I felt it was safer for us and our guests to reschedule. I kept thinking to myself that I really wouldn’t be comfortable at my own wedding and would be worrying about the virus all day. I want my day to be exactly how I always thought it would and don’t want to have to comply with any restrictions in place.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel like by that time things will be a lot different. you should be ok by then

• Nicole
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding is supposed to be on October 30 in Ontario, and our venue told us not to make a decision on postponing until end of July/beginning of August. So while we're proceeding as if it's still happening as planned, we've also started planning a Plan B. I was feeling really upset about all the uncertainty, but now that we've talked to our venue and have a backup plan in place, I feel SO much better about everything!

I'd recommend reaching out to your venue and vendors, even though it's early. It felt like a huge weight was taken off my shoulders just by having more information about how they're handling things, and what would happen if we have to postpone.

• Kevin
    Curious June 2021 Ontario
    Kevin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are an October 24th original date. We have postponed until April 2021. It sucks, but I am a frontline hospital worker and the emotional toll this has taken on me this year, I did not want anything associated with 2020. Plus, I do not want to be responsible for someone showing up not well and getting people sick. I believe that we will have another wave come fall.

• Melissa
    Devoted September 2021 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding is Oct 3, 2020 and we are making our final decision to postpone or not on June 1. We already have a back-up date in September 2021 that all our vendors and venue have agreed to hold until we make our decision. having a back up date is helping with the anxiety! I would definitely recommend seeing if you can make a firm back up plan.

Honestly, at this point planning the wedding isn't fun and I'm worried that if we do get married this year we wont have enough time to have all the pre-wedding celebrations that we want. Also, we will have less time to get things ready/planned for the wedding, like my FH suit, the groomsmen suits, DIY projects, ect.

The best advice I was given was to not downgrade our wedding. If there are certain things we want for our wedding that we wont be able to have if we get married this year then we should postpone. We are only planning on getting married once and we shouldn't have to sacrifice anything because of this. For us postponing isn't a big issue, we already bought a condo together, we aren't looking to start a family anytime soon and it makes no difference if we get married this year or next if it means we get the full wedding experience that we want.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Another October bride, Oct 11th. Also waiting it out, which is killing me. I’ve been a mess and have not been handling this gracefully. We decided ourselves to wait till July, but I did contact my venue to see what was going on with them. My coordinator there told us to wait till mid July to decide, and almost all of her fall weddings were doing the same.

Our guest count is 110 (or less) so we will see. It’s not just the restrictions though that have me worried. I want our grandparents to be there as well. And I want to be able to hug and feel normalish. We originally had so many weddings to attend this summer in our socialcircle and it’s down to one set of friends and us left in 2020. Very stressful.
    We would postpone to next October if we have to but even then I’m feeling jaded on the whole issue. Whose to say that anything will be allowed next year as well? Everything just feels so uncertain! Some days I’mOptimistic and other days not so much.
    Sending lots of love and support to all the brides out there!
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're waiting it out a little longer and making the decision in summer.

• Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding is October 9th in Ontario. Our venue is not allowing us to postpone at this time. I was definitely ready to pull the plug just because of all the stress and uncertainty (and we have quite a few intl guests, we are worried about a second wave, etc etc) but they've completely got us backed into a corner. We have no choice but to wait it out, as apparently everybody whose wedding is scheduled before us (despite whether or not they've expressed interest in postponing yet) has priority over us.

It's incredibly frustrating.

• C
    Cathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wedding is Oct 11th and I'm going to wait until mid June to July to make a decision. I think it is too premature to postpone right now. You just don't know what will happen. I do have a second date next year though just as a backup. Praying this is all over soon!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey Emma!

We're planning for October 2. We've started actively planning our elopement/postponed reception but until we have our ducks in a row we won't tell our family or guests yet. I had planned to wait until July to decide, but last week I caved and called our photographer to start talking about our options.
    I'm honestly handling it better than I would have expected. I'm excited to have our ceremony be a private moment, and to still get our celebration later. We've been talking about celebrating our first anniversary for our reception, and starting the party on October 1st so we can have a countdown to midnight!
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re in August... we’re going to make a decision in June. So far I’m kind of optimistic but worried at the same time because I don’t know how many ppl will be allowed for gatherings. Atm our guest count is around 230...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics