You're on our mind during COVID-19. See our related wedding FAQs.

Jenelle
Beginner December 2020 Saskatchewan

November and December 2020 Brides

Jenelle, on May 4, 2020 at 23:44 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14
Saved Save
Reply
Hi there,


Hope everyone is holding up well with everything going on. I just wanted to reach out to any November and December 2020 brides - my fiancé and I are supposed to be getting married December 5th and we are very unsure on how to proceed. Are you guys cancelling/postponing or holding out hope for the end of the year?

14 Comments

  • Darmae
    Beginner December 2020 Ontario
    Darmae ·
    • Dispute
    Our wedding date is December 12th, 2020. So far, we are still rolling with the planning and hoping that things will be better by then 🙏🏼💕
    • Reply
  • Alexandra
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute

    My wedding was scheduled for October 3/20, but we chose to reschedule to October 2/21. The anxiety was killing me and we have almost 400 people so it is not an option to cut down. Also, my province has released no framework for any phases past phase 1 and gatherings are still 5 or less people...I am a huge germaphobe to begin with so I knew that if we had it this year I would be anxious the whole time.

    • Reply
  • Ashley
    Featured August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute

    I feel like by the end of the year you will be fine. they are in human trials for a vaccine as well things are looking better

    • Reply
  • Kristin
    Newbie January 2021 British Columbia
    Kristin ·
    • Dispute

    Hey! Our wedding is booked for January 16th, 2021 and a bit worried even about that.. but trying to think positive and hoping and thinking things will be okay by the end of this year even! I do not think a vaccine will come anytime soon and they cannot have the world shut down for THAT long for that reason... so praying all of us brides get our special day the way we always hoped for! Smiley heart

    • Reply
  • Jenelle
    Beginner December 2020 Saskatchewan
    Jenelle ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    How exciting to have a New Years wedding! I agree with you that we have to stay positive - truly anything can happen in the next 7 months. The entire globe is working towards a solution and all it takes is 1 breakthrough. Praying that you are able to have the wedding you dreamed of😊
    • Reply
  • Carmel
    Newbie December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    December 31 over here! Definitely holding out. It's way too far out to make that kind of decision now. Our vendors feel confident we will be fine and during my daily mental struggle (mainly because I get caught up reading the negatives on covid related wedding threads on Facebook) I remind myself (or my fiance reminds me) that it actually hasn't been as long as we think. A lot has happened in the 7 weeks here (I'm in Ottawa) and a lot can happen even in the next week. My worst case scenerio is having to cut down our list to 100 LOL. Sure, regular travel and large scale events are a ways out but they're talking events that hold thousands of people.... If we had many guests travelling across the border maybe we would feel differently but a lot of the factors others have to consider, we don't... It is such a personal decision but I did want to throw out some positivity because I know I could use some more! Hope I helped a bit!
    • Reply
  • Zehra
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Zehra ·
    • Dispute

    My wedding is on 3rd of October and I am absolutely terrified as well since we will have around 500 guests, but I can only cut it down to minimum 300 people, sigh! I have so many relatives who were planning to come from Europe. We will wait until June-August and see what the restrictions are. If not, we are planning to postpone to spring or fall 2021.

    • Reply
  • Hank
    Devoted December 2020 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Waiting for a vaccine is futile. There likely won't be one for years, if we even get one. We don't even have a vaccine for SARS and that was over 15 years ago.


    For our circumstances, there's just no point in postponing beyond March 2021. Depending on social norms and government health regulations dictate, we'll either stick to our original plan or scale back and just have a simple meal with a smaller guest list.
    • Reply
  • Vinod
    Featured August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute

    Push the date to next year if you feel uncertain how things are going and have a renewal celebration if you still proceed with the wedding being small and private. Get the family only together and your friends next year to join the immediate family again. Seems the way its happening for alternate decision.

    • Reply
  • Jenelle
    Beginner December 2020 Saskatchewan
    Jenelle ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Are you hopeful that things would be better by January - March 2021? We were considering postponing until May 2021, but out concern is that there will be no difference from having our wedding in December if there is not yet any treatment or vaccine
    • Reply
  • Hank
    Devoted December 2020 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute

    Our date is December 19. We're still far out so we haven't talked to any of our vendors about changing dates but if we have to, we're willing to do it on a Sunday during off-season between January and March 2021. If that's not possible for whatever reason, then we're going to elope as we don't want to push it another year.


    We're based in Toronto so we're using three events as a way to gauge whether we need to take pre-emptive measures: Fan Expo, Nuit Blanche, and the Santa Clause Parade. These are all high profile mass attended events so if any outbreak happens, there will likely be some government intervention. Even if there's no bylaw or law prohibiting gatherings, if there are any confirmed covid-19 positives from these events, we would postponing.

    • Reply
  • Jenelle
    Beginner December 2020 Saskatchewan
    Jenelle ·
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Hey Vanessa,


    We have one or two vendors left to book, but I’m not too concerned as we have been in contact with a bunch that are available. My biggest concern right now is whether or not to postpone. All of our close family and friends are within the province which is good, but we are concerned that even if gathering sizes are allowed to be larger we will have to implement social distancing at our wedding. Our thoughts are “would we even be able to have a dance or hug our guests?” Our main vendors are being very good about postponing and not charging us extra if we want to push to next year right now, but I’m not quite ready to give up our date. It feels like December is too far away to postpone but close enough to worry. My main concern is waiting too long and not having any 2021 dates available, but I’m hoping the summer months will give us a better indication of how things will go.
    • Reply
  • Vanessa
    Frequent user December 2020 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute

    Hey there fellow December bride.. the 5th is our date as well!!

    So I have been panicking and my fiance has been so positive during this whole time (thank goodness for him). We are still holding strong and hoping that everything will be fine by December!

    Our venue is only focusing one 2 months ahead so we aren't even on their radar, as per our wedding planner. If we wanted to postpone right now, we would probably have to pay a fee but I can't say for sure because we haven't spoken to them. It looks like we are going to have to wait until at least after the summer months to even speak to our venue. the issue with us is that my fiance is from the US and his entire family and wedding party would need to cross the boarder. I'm nervous that Canada will be fine to proceed in December but the boarders will be closed.

    I think that if we have to postpone, we would still legally get married on our date and then reschedule the reception to next year to ensure that everyone can come. I just hope that our venue works with us and doesn't charge a fee for moving the date. My other issue is with our vendors that we booked .. trying to find a date next year that works for everyone is going to be INSANE as everyone is changing their dates .. this whole situation is just so unsettling.

    Have you planned everything yet? Do you have any vendors left to book?

    • Reply
  • Christiana
    Curious November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute

    Our wedding is scheduled for November 28, 2020. We're in BC and we were planning on having about 100 people.

    I'll be honest — I am not expecting it to go ahead and I've already mentally prepared for having to postpone. 95% of my family is out of province and we have a few out of country guests, including my brother and sister in law. Even if inter-provincial travel is okay by then and large gatherings are allowed, I don't know how comfortable I would be having my older family members attending our wedding.

    My fiancé is much more optimistic and he thinks everything will be okay.

    For now we're just playing things by ear and I think we'll make the call in a few months once we know more. I almost wish they would just announce a full ban on anything over X number of people for 2020. It would certainly make planning easier and less stressful, even it meant definitely cancelling.

    If we can't go ahead with the 100 person wedding I think we'll likely elope and postpone the reception to sometime next year. However I am worried that if we wait too long we won't be able to find a 2021 date that works for our vendors. So much uncertainty...

    • Reply

Comment on this discussion

×

Related articles