Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kaye
Frequent user September 2018 Ontario

Nobody using registry

Kaye, on August 22, 2018 at 10:35 Posted in Before the wedding 0 20

I am getting married in 9 days and nobody has used my registry except my grandma. Is this normal? We are doing a destination wedding and really don't want gifts the day-of because we will have to pay duty on them going home. I made this clear on our wedding website.

Thanks!

20 Comments

Latest activity by Holly, on August 29, 2018 at 10:18
  • Holly
    Frequent user November 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Kaye,

it could also be that they did purchase off the registry but didn't use the website correctly. I have had friends who ended up with 4 dish sets because people looked on the registry and bought online but didn't associate the purchase with the registry itself.

I'm sure however it is, it will all work out!

Hope your wedding is everything you've dreamed of!

• Kaye
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Family is hilarious and ridiculous
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You'll most likely receive monetary gifts. For our wedding I would say 90% of people gave cash or a cheque. The only people who bought us physical gifts were my partners immediate family (they are very into gifts). The ridiculous part of it, is that they had INSISTED we make a registry, so we did - and at the end of the day, none of them bought off the registry cause they didn't want us to know what we were getting.

• Kaye
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Gotcha! My parents live in NF Im here this week painting their house for them
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah okay. I saw that you had put Niagara Falls as where you are, so I wasn't sure where the duty was coming from lol.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I say its normal and destination weddings don't require extra space for big gifts.

Having a second reception locally would be better to get the gift registry then.
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Generally people can take their time sending wedding gifts. And I would never bring a physical wedding gift to the wedding of the couple is traveling across the border (or traveling a long distance). Because like you said it can become a large inconvenience to you as a couple. I would however bring a card and depending on how much it costs me to get there a small cash gift.

A lot of people gift cash now but also keep in mind that it is still a destination and being out of the country a larg commitment from guests (border crossing can take hours some weekends). So gifts might be smaller or less than if it was a local wedding.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't be surprised that. in 10 years of going to weddings I have only given 2 actual gifts. the majority of the time I give cash.
    depending on the destination factor. if people are travelling/taking a vacation (like a resort in the Caribbean wedding). people may also not give gifts as they are spending so much to be at your wedding.

• Kaye
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I live in New York State on the Lake Erie Shore.

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm in the same boat. Only 1 person has used it but it is possible people will do it this week as it's the last week before the wedding. People tend to be last minute.

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's so nice! So where will you have to pay duty on your gifts? Do you live in Canada?

• Kaye
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thats awesome! The only reason I did a registry is so that I wouldnt end up with 5p pillow cases. thats what my grandma said happened to her. Our apartment doesnt have any storage so I dont have a place yo put random gifts
    Im thankful for either
  • Kaye
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Im getting married in Kitchener as I used to live there and the price was right
  • Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am worried that will happen to myself as well so that is why I decided not to use a registry. The family friends are not very tech savvy so they probably will not know how to access the registry online in the first place. Second of all, I think most of our guests will prefer to pay cash since it is less work. If I was a guest, I would actually prefer the same.

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LMAO I love how that pun just worked it's way in there.

Everything will be great! Where are you getting married?

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So many people give monetary gifts these day opposed to physical gifts. I bet that’s what most people are doing so you don’t have to worry about crossing the boarder.
  • Kaye
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Tori,

Im using the word "destination" loosely. My family is American and we are having the wedding in Canada (about 2 hours from the border). But regardless to go home, I have to bring everything back over into the US. We have 65 people coming, and the gifts on the registry range from $8 to $250. but maybe everyone is just procrastinating. can't blame them, its a busy time of year

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say that it depends on how many people are going to the wedding, how expensive the destination is, and how much money the items on the registry are.

If it's a fairly expensive destination where I have to pay airfare just to go - then realistically I would only be giving about $50 a head ($50 from me and $50 from my date).

If the items on the registry are under $50 then perhaps it's because nowadays it is more common in general to give money as they know that a destination wedding can be costly?

• Kaye
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Bianca!

oh and Im literally crossing a bridge with the gifts to come home haha

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You're guests are probably just going to give you monetary gifts, so don't sweat it Smiley smile

And if they do the unexpected and bring you tangible gifts, you cross that bridge when the time comes.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics