Stephanie
Master July 2018 Alberta

New Signature

Stephanie, on 30/January/2019 at 16:49 Posted in Just Married
One thing that I didn’t really consider was that when I changed my name, I would also be changing the way I sign my name! I went to get my new drivers license and when she said “sign here” I looked, saw my new name, and realized I hadn’t practiced signing my new name! I had written it out, but had never signed it!

Luckily, when I sign my name, I just do a series of lines/loops and my new last name is the same number of letters as my old last name so I didn’t have to change my signature since there are no distinguishable letters anyway.

Anyone else not think about this? Are you going to have drastically change your signature? Have you been practicing signing your new name?
Share:

41 Comments

• S
    Newbie April 2020 Quebec
    Stephanie-Marie ·

Oh my goodness I haven’t really thought about this! I guess I am going to have to throw signature practice into the wedding planning agenda!

• Nicole
    Newbie July 2019 British Columbia
    Nicole ·

I'm not a big fan of my current signature, so I'm kinda happy I get to change it. However I haven't practiced it yet...Luckily I have a few more months to get it right

• Melissa
    Frequent user May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·

The new signature is the ONLY part about changing my last name that stresses me out! Practice makes perfect

• M
    Curious May 2019 British Columbia
    Michelle ·

I only thought about this 3 months before my wedding, since that's the earliest we can get a marriage license and I'll have to sign my new name on the marriage certificate. I think it would be best to play with some options beforehand. Usually the first few don't look right (or it looks amazing, but then you can't duplicate it, haha!). Good luck!

• Rachael
    Featured October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·

I've thought about this and practiced a new signature at one point, but I'll have to brush up on it before I change my last name officially.

• Amanda
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·

Mine is changing huge.. I'm going from 5 letters to 11.

I haven't really come up with a new signature yet.

• Sonya
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Sonya Online ·

Oh my goodness I haven’t really thought about this! It’ll be nice going from a hyphenated name to a single name but will definitely take practice!

• Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·

I was excited about changing my signature with my new name. My old name had sharp letters where my new name has a lot of loops that match my first name. It looks good together now

• Terri
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Terri Online ·

I am hyphenating my last name to include his. Not a good signature flow so far and it feels very strange when I practice. However, I intend to master it sometime between now and July. Best of luck to all of you soon to be married folks!

• Tanya
    Beginner November 2020 Alberta
    Tanya ·
    Omg I’ve had this exact thing on my mind for a while now lol. Every time I sign my name I think
    ”huh..my signature will be changing soon”
  • Vinod
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·

My husband took my last name and said his new name quite a few times. He also went about signing his new name to get a feel for it. He was prepared when it came to signing the license.

• Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·

After reading this yesterday I did the new Signature mmm it's only today I am getting alittle be used to it. lol

• Chey Marie
    Beginner October 2020 Alberta
    Chey Marie ·
    I started using a new signature after I got engaged. I spent a little while messing around with what my signature would look like after marriage and didn't like them 🤣 so I started playing with my first name and middle. I now have a signature I've been using that mixes those two instead of my last name.
  • Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·

It's going to be a little different then what I am used too. It was DMM and now it will be DMW it's not easy, since now I never really thought about it.

• Karine
    Curious August 2022 Quebec
    Karine ·
    In Quebec you can't change your name, unless there is a life threatening reason or something... so that won't be a problem for me
  • Bianca
    Featured August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca Online ·

I'm dreading changing my signature since mines so easy (I just scribble my initials and that's it lol).

Comment on this discussion

Related articles