Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joneve
Beginner September 2018 Alberta

New, Old, Borrowed & Blue

Joneve, on February 13, 2018 at 22:05 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 28
Do brides still follow this tradition of something new, old borrowed and blue?

I have something new - wedding dress, old and blue - my grandmothers pendant.

But something borrowed I'm not sure about...... thoughts?

28 Comments

Latest activity by Lor, on April 24, 2018 at 14:59
  • Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I probably wont be. I guess i tried but haven't been able to get it all.

Something new - Dress

Something old - Diamond heart bracelet my mom gave me on her wedding day

Something borrow and something blue i am out of luck.

We aren't traditional as we aren't doing the garter toss or bouquet toss either so i guess i shouldn't stress too much about this either.

• Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ask your mom or FMIL for some borrowed/old jewelry to wear the day of, that's what I'm doing anyway.

Maybe, a grandmother or older aunt?

Doesn't have to be super out there, maybe a bracelet or earrings. you can even wear something around your ankle if you already have your jewelry picked out.

• Sarah
    Beginner June 2018 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've got something new: dress, veil, garter. Something blue: my heels. But nothing old and nothing borrowed! Help!

• Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My something Blue/New will be my garter - still need to buy this

My something New could also be that I'm getting new lingerie Smiley smile

My something Old/Borrowed - I've asked my mom and will ask my grandmother too and see what I can borrow from them

Although I bought my dress secondhand, so that could also be old.

and I wanted to do the "And a silver sixpence (penny) in her shoe" part too, but our pennies are bronze and non-existent anymore, so maybe I'll use a dime? hehe

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is the only tradition I actually want to do. I am pretty early in the planning stages though and have not decided on what I will use.

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't thought about this, but I definitely would love to do it!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yup!

Something old - My mother's veil, remade into my veil

Something new - My dress and jewelry

Something borrowed - my great grandmother's handkerchief, borrowed from my grandmother

Something blue - my shoes!

New, Old, Borrowed & Blue 1

The real question - who is following the very last line of that poem:

And a silver sixpence (penny) in her shoe!

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am going to be following this although still putting it together...

So far I have:

Something Old - My grandmothers ring

Something New - My dress

Something Borrowed - I've asked my mom to find something of hers (maybe a bracelet) that I can borrow

Something Blue - Although I'm still on the lookout for them I'm hoping to find blue heels (my bridesmaids dresses are blue)

I would say for something borrowed see if your mom or FH's mom have something you borrow whether it be a piece of jewelry or a broach you can pin on the inside of your dress

• Eimear
    Curious June 2018 British Columbia
    Eimear ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mother in law to be has given me her pearls and a pearl ring as my something borrowed. My bridesmaid are covering my something old and something blue which is a garter lol.

• Cynthia
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    Cynthia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would like to do this Smiley smile
  • L
    Newbie September 2017 Ontario
    Lana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I followed tradition because I thought it was cute but other than the pictures of the details no one really notices so don't stress over it. If all you're missing is something borrowed, borrowing whatever jewellery you still need or a purse or something will save you from having to buy it.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I couldn't think of anything borrowed either or the something blue.. other than possibly painting my toenails blue. I don't think I will end up following this tradition. We aren't doing any of the other traditions either, like the garter or bouquet toss.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Most people happen upon all 4 of these by accident. I hadn't actually given it much thought yet, but I realize I already have:

New - wedding dress

Old, Blue - Grandma's garter cut/wrapped around bouquet (Grandma passed away this year, so it was in memory of her)

Borrowed - Other Grandma's wedding band (Passed away before any of her 8 grandkids got married, so I have it, and lend it out to each grandchild on their wedding day to "have her with them")

So I guess the last one is actually not borrowed for me, maybe I'll have to find something else for that...

Usually sentimental items come up, regardless if they fit perfectly in the the Old, New, Borrowed, Blue set-up. I like it though, adds special touches!!

• Natalee
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Natalee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't really decided as of yet if I or my fiance are going to do this...we haven't discussed this. Guess we better! Thanks for all of the ideas!!!

• Surina
    Frequent user March 2018 Ontario
    Surina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My new is my dress, old is my fh mothers cameo pin that i had attached to my bouquet my borrowed will be my mothers pearls and my blue is my garter.

• Laura
    Frequent user October 2018 British Columbia
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's a really nice idea but my fiance and I aren't super traditional so I probably won't be sticking with this one unless it happens by accident. We're also skipping the bouquet and garter toss and not having a cake.
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m following the tradition. I think it’s cute. I had trouble with the blue part, but I’m working on it. Do you have a friend that got married recently or something you could borrow from a family member? Maybe a hair piece or a piece of jewelry? If you want small, I’ve heard of some people borrowing Something more silly like a piece of string and icing it back to the owner for luck!
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I find this tradition really confusing so I don't know if I'll follow it.

I mean my dress, my shoes and my earrings will all be new.

I'm borrowing a bracelet from my mum.. but does it also count as Old? I don't know what what point something qualifies as 'old'.

I also don't have anything blue. The only thing I'd be able to do is shove a sticker on the bottom of my shoe lol.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What about something from your mom?

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm going to follow this just because I think it's one of the cute wedding traditions

Old - my late grandmothers emerald ring I inherited (and have never worn, was saving for this day)

New - my dress

Borrowed - don't have this yet, I've asked my mom for a piece of jewelry

Blue - hopefully my shoes (our bridal colour is cobalt blue and I'm hoping to find matching shoes)

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m on the fence if I want to follow this. My fiancé and I are not traditional whatsoever so we will see lol
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I ended up following this by chance. I had my new dress, my mum's veil (old and borrowed) and I have an anklet that I wear that has blue beads on it.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did it, mostly because after I bought my dress and shoes, I was halfway there. I borrowed an old ring from my mother to round it out.

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think my mom is planning to make me something blue. I will also be holding my daughters heart shaped urn that is blue. My wedding dress is new and the jewelry that I will be wearing will be old. I am not sure about the borrowed part yet either tho.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have something old, new, borrowed, blue but it wasn't on purpose, it just happened based on what I wanted. I bought a new dress. And really wanted to wear my mom's veil with it (old, and also borrowed because my aunt wore it as well and wants it back for her daughter) and blue is one of our colours so I will have blue flowers.

• Rebecca
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    One of my bridesmaids is letting me borrow her hairpiece she used when she got married Smiley smile
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not following this tradition. Never saw the point and I'm not a super traditional bride. I've heard of brides borrowing jewelry, hair pin/clip something, or another small wearable item from the maid of honour.
  • Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Well I’m not sure we have to follow the tradition but if I did. I’d have the new dress and my mom wants me to wear her train (so got the borrowed) but nothing blue as yet. Lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics