Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kaisha
Super March 2019 Nova Scotia

New family traditions as a married couple?

Kaisha, on August 5, 2018 at 22:37 Posted in Living together 0 15

I have a lot of family traditions especially when it comes to holidays. We have lived together for a little while now so we have already started a few traditions of our own.

Has anyone started any new traditions? Or do you plan on starting some new traditions?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Kaisha, on November 19, 2018 at 21:20
  • Kaisha
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love looking at lights, we also do this every year. We also go look at lights the week before Christmas. We make a night of it, its so much fun!

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love all these comments Smiley heart me and the fiance already have a few traditions that aren't inherited from either of our families. My favourite: last year we went on a Christmas eve walk around the neighbourhood to admire the beautiful lights. It gave us a break from all of the hustle and bustle at our respective families' homes, and a chance to be in the moment with each other.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Christmas has changed for me now and it’s weird. My family moved from England so it’s always been just us but now we do Christmas Eve at his parents, then we go with his family to midnight mass (something I had never done until last year and honestly I was so bored) then Christmas Day is spent at my parents’ with my younger siblings who are still young enough to believe in Santa.

Thanksgiving is something I’m not sure what’s happening with. It means more to his family than it does mine since we moved from England and never celebrated it before that.

Honestly everything just gets celebrated over a few days now and sometimes it’s awesome but sometimes it’s exhausting.
  • Kaisha
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love holidays you can celebrate with just your SO, we love spending Christmas morning alone. Its a small tradition we really look forward to!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Every year we have traditions celebrated ourselves and with families.

Valentine's day, Thanksgiving and New Years are just ourselves.

Other celebrations with families are Indian New Year (my family), Christmas with in laws and my family few days after.

• Kaisha
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love this! We moved away from our family so we have been enjoying our quiet Christmases but alway get together with friends Christmas eve.

• Kaisha
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love small traditions like this! We try to go away for my birthday as well, we go away with a group of friends but it is a blast!

• Kaisha
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My parents had a hard time adjusting to sharing us on holidays as well as my FHs parents aren't together so that was double the holiday's to share. We moved away from our family though so we have been enjoying creating our own traditions.

• Kaisha
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love having family close! We moved away from our family but my FHs family had dinner ever Sunday and it was a tradition I really looked forward to!

• Kaisha
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are in a similar situation, we moved from Manitoba to Nova Scotia so we are loving creating our own traditions.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We started living with eachother 9 years ago. We have hosted Christmas for the past 7 years. We love it so much! It helps having everyone come to us. We play games with prizes, do gift exchanges and we go totally over board with food and drinks! So everyone loves coming and I don’t see it changing anytime soon.
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is the 2nd year we’ve gone to a baseball game on my FH’s Birthday. We will make it a tradition.

Last year we went to Montreal for Thanksgiving and would like to make it a tradition in the years to come as well.

I really look forward to developing more and carrying on with those that we get up with as we start a family in the upcoming years.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My parents divorced when I was 6... my fiance's parents have been together 30 years. My mom remarried when I was 7, so that was 18 years ago...

So managing family holidays/ traditions, sharing days, taking turns, etc, was the norm for me growing up. My fiance's family is still having a rough time adjusting to "sharing" us for Christmas/ holidays, etc... They are used to just one family, one tradition, done.

We are so looking forward to having our own home, so we can host the "one" family holiday... make everyone come to us.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have adopted some of his family traditions like family dinners and seeing family all the time. My family is pretty spread out and we can months without seeing or speaking and that is ok but my husband's family all live in like a 10km radius of one another so they see each other often. It was not something I was used to.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are expecting our first child in November so as of then we will have new family traditions starting. We also just loved across the country so all our family is back in Ontario.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics