Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Peggy
Super May 2019 Alberta

Never thought it would happen

Peggy, on September 26, 2018 at 11:39 Posted in WeddingWire 0 18

Am I the only one who had given up on the idea of finding someone and getting married?

I was almost 35 when I met my now-fiancé. People had stopped asking me when I was going to have kids, when I was going to meet a nice boy. They told me I was too picky and that was why I had never settled down. I had pretty much settled into the idea that I would be an 'old maid' - I had even started looking at what kind of things I could do in retirement as a single person (Seniors' cruises and tours!).

I'm so glad I didn't settle just to fit in; Jared is the love of my life; we truly are soulmates!

18 Comments

Latest activity by Peggy, on October 3, 2018 at 11:33
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahaha, your grandpa sounds awesome!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's true! I wasn't being picky, I just knew what I wanted.

My grandpa told his nephew (who got married at 30, considered late in those days) that if it was a good marriage, it was worth the wait, and if it was bad, they had fewer years to spend together!

This wasn't my philosophy though but I still found it funny!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You found your true love when the time was right.

People may say how picky we all are in our ways yet not find the right person. Those who speak don't realize they went through the same thing and feel we need to just take what comes our way instantly.

Your happiness matters as much as everyone here. It takes time to find and get to have that perfect someone in our lives. Just as you i found my husband in 2013 and ww got married close to 4 years later. Age was around the same as yours as i was started dating him. Before that, there wasn't anything i could find better ans decided to stop looking overall.
  • Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so happy for you. This is my second wedding. When I met Daniel there was something about him, he smiled then spoke as I came through the front door. It was weird, I too had given up all together. When you least except it it happens. Smiley heart

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My fiance and I say the same thing! More than once people told me I was being too picky or had unrealistic expectations. I just told them that I was worth waiting for the right person. And I'm so glad I did.

I'm glad you found your right person too!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That was me! My brother got married young (24) and had three children pretty quickly. I had always imagined us having children together. We had so much fun with our cousins growing up. I didn’t date anyone until I met my husband at 27. He was 37 and also didn’t think he was going to get married. We talk about it often how we are so glad we waited for each other and didn’t get married just to be married. It was definitely worth the wait!

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was pretty set on the singles life until I met my fiance. We even broke up for a while because we weren't in the right head space to make it work, and then got back together and now we've been together for 7 years. I never thought I'd be the marrying type. My undergrad friends still make fun of me.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's so true! And my FH has done so much for me and my really terrible self esteem. I still have lots of issues, but he's made them way less intense. That silly little voice in my head whispers instead of shouts now (most of the time).

It amazes me how meeting the RIGHT person makes all the difference.

• A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was that way, I had got to the point were I didn't think I would ever get married,even told my dad he better stick around because he would have better luck walking his granddaughter down the aisle. Well that all changed when I met my FH, i knew i was going to marry him, even before we said "i love you." Its funny how that one person can come into your life and flip it upside for all the right reasons.
  • Tracy
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes!!! This is Me!!!! I actually gave up on love for awhile and decided I would just be single forever. Then for some reason I randomly logged back into my plenty of fish app and saw a message from him and we clicked instantly. It seriously came out of nowhere!

Cheers to us both!!!!
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's awesome to hear! I get pretty much the opposite (you're too young to get married, blah blah blah). I guess people will just always have their opinions!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's amazing to hear, and I'm glad you got out of that relationship and into one that I hope makes you happier and healthier!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did, for a bit, think that I was "damaged goods". I was in a verbal/psychological abusive relationship before meeting my FH and thought it was all my fault, that I was the problem. Fortunately, I had a great support system with my family/friends who helped me 'rediscover' myself in a way.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was always the 'wing man' so to speak! I was the fat, funny friend that all the girls wanted to hang out with because I made them look better!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know that I'm only 21 and I found my FH when I was 19 going on 20 but I can relate so damn much. My sister has had 2 boyfriends and I had none. Her first relationship lasted from her grade 9 year to uni 1. Then she got her next one a few months later after meeting him at work and has been with him for like 3 or more years now. So ya, every christmas and easter I was pestered by not only the grandparents and aunts but my own parents!

They eventually gave up Christmas 2016 a few months before I found my FH! But I remember telling my FH when we first met that I was going to be a spinster... not kidding. I had made it a fact that if I didn't find somebody by 20 then I would die alone. Of course consider the fact that both sets of grandparents and my own parents got married before they were 20....

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel you sooooo much!!! I was always the single girl with my friends. never really had long term relationships/casually dated etc. I had finally resigned to the fact that I was going to be on my own (and I was mostly ok with that). I had even started saving money to do in-vitro (I wasn't going to let being on my own stop me from being a mom). and then I met FH out of nowhere. at a bar I didn't even want to go to, on a weekend I was supposed to go away and didn't.

so glad you found your love! Smiley smile

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was in another relationship when I met my FH. Nothing ever happened during the other relationship, we were just friends, but my ex was super jealous about how we got along great as friends.

That relationship ended a month after meeting my FH for a lot of reasons, the main one being he couldn't trust me around any guy friends/male coworkers even though he had a female roommate #doublestandard Smiley ups I was thinking that I was going to be single for awhile/not excited about dating again but then my FH asked me out and now here we are.

I'm glad you and your FH met Peggy and congrats to you both! Smiley laugh Smiley heart

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s so lovely that you met him when you least expected it in life. I went through phases where I didn’t think I’d meet anyone ever (since all the guys I met were losers), then I met Justin and things changed. FUNNY STORY, when my sister and I were small and play with our Barbies, mine would always be the single one who sometimes had a baby and sometimes didn’t, so I seriously thought my life would be something like that for real.

I’m so happy for you and your FH and your love ☺️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics