Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Never have I ever... spent so much money!

Lynnie, on March 4, 2019 at 07:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 32

Have you ever shelled out this much money before? Or does your wedding budget pale in comparison to your college tuition or how much you spent on your house?

undefined

Image from Buzzfeed

Next Question: Never have I ever...

Back to the Beginning: Never Have I Ever!

32 Comments

Latest activity by OliviaGreys, on March 31, 2020 at 06:43
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We definitely spent more on our house and our cars, as well as a new roof (twice!) and our furnace. Really, our tiny wedding budget was a drop in the bucket.
  • Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Never have I spent so much money for one day
  • Toni Rose
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Toni Rose ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just graduated from dental studies this past October. With my car payments, student loans and a small amount of credit card debt, money has been on the forefront for this entire wedding. It's very difficult to stick to the budget when my FH keeps comparing a Toronto wedding to a wedding in the Dirty South in the states and wants all the same bells and whistles. He doesnt seem to realize that everything costs a bit more in Canada and that our dollar is different I managed to find a venue with site fees less than $3000 and the money would go to community programs and feeding the homeless. With a budget of 35k, I would feel better knowing that my money is being used on those who need it and not as profit for wedding vendors. My wedding budget is 3x more than what I paid for in tuition.
  • Danielle
    Curious July 2019 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I definitely had a bit of a breakdown this week because of this. We’ve kept to budget and in the big picture it’s not ridiculous as we both are older and established and getting help from our families. However, it just kinda hit me this week as a lot of vendors are getting paid just how much money is being spent for one day. It’s so easy to get caught up in planning and thinking it’s normal but it’s a little insane. on a side note I’ve been rewatching Gossip Girl so when I see bills for thousands of dollars it seems like nothing compared to the money tossed around in one episode lol
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Considering I don’t own a house because they’re insanely priced here in Vancouver, and I didn’t take out loans for college it’s definitely the most money I’ve spent!
  • Elizabeth
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's the most money I have had to put down over a shorter amount of time but it pales in comparison to my student loan payments and it's interest.
  • Natasha
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    NEVERRRRR now I know why people who get remarried have something small lol
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’ll end up being about the same cost as my car... ugh
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It may be more if you consider like a lump sum, but my car cost more and I would have spent more on travelling.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's alongside the costs I've had for school so it hasn't been too bad.

• Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did own a house for a while a few years back so that was a LOT more money....the house down payment was more then my wedding.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have for sure spent more money on travel, college and university, cars, houses
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hmmmm! I guess at the end of the day this will be the most money I’m spending at once!
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have NEVER. Ugh it is insane. I have never bought a car or a house so this is absolutely the most for me.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My parents had an education fund set up for me so I didn't have to worry about university, they are also paying for a chunk of the wedding, so would be a lot more if we didn't have their help.

To date, my truck is the most expensive thing I have put money on/into, but our next house will definitely be our biggest purchase!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Never - I've never owned a house, my undergrad was mostly funded through my mom's benefits working AT the university. The closest thing would be my braces, which were $10k, but it's still lower than our wedding budget.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I recently just paid of my student loans..and we are currently working on my fiancés loans too so yeah we have spend this much money!!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I spent more on tuition than my wedding. Plus, university I paid for on my own (well, me and the government!) but we had help for the wedding.
  • Daniela
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yup! Undergrad + masters + law school = DEBT FOREVER AND EVER. Pretty sure law school alone will do it 😂
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In total if I had absolutely no financial help, this would be the most I’ve spent on anything. We are getting help from my parents and my FH and I are splitting our expenses 50/50. So if I added it all up on my end my university tuition probably would be higher!
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This will be the most amount I have spent on one experience for sure! But I've had to save up more for long term travels - its just that was spread out over months not for one day. I am still having a bit of sticker shock from the cost of the wedding we want to have.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have for school and my mortgage on our house!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The only three things I have spent this much money on before were my house, my car and my education!

But otherwise, nope!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This will be the most amount I have spent! My FH bought the house we live in when we were only together for a year, so it was up to him to do all the payments etc.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So far, the only thing more expensive than my wedding has been my education. Undergrad + 2 postgraduate degrees = roughly double my current wedding budget (more, if you factor in the cost of living in residence/away from home).

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I mean, houses be costly amiright? lol our down payment alone was half of our wedding budget so ya - house for sure costs more than a wedding.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely a house. Plus we bought an older home, so we’ve put over $50k in Reno’s and it’s not done. Lol. The wedding is definitely the most I’ve spent for one day though haha
  • Allen
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Allen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Most of it is being paid for by mil (big things) I'm handling all the rest, cake etc and I've spent 10x more in college tuition
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For the expense I could have paid off would be the loan. House down payment would have been nice to keep aside or rainy day funds for any emergency coming up.

There are many things the money could have put aside for or saving up towards a goal.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I also had to pay for university and that cost more than the wedding is going to.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Well we are buying a house right now too and the downpayment on that is well over the price of our entire wedding!
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

To me, a house and university tuition seem like life staples, so I was/am prepared for the costs involved (and yay for scholarships and grants!)

A wedding though? Never have I ever shelled out this much money to celebrate a relationship with a significant other. We have no regrets, but ooooh what I wouldn't give to be able to apply for a "wedding scholarship" or "grant".Smiley winking

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics