Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chanelle
Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia

Native Blanket Ceremony

Chanelle, on October 7, 2017 at 15:21 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 6
My fiancé and his mother’s side of the family are First Nations. Although he isn’t super into all native traditions, his mom is, and I love the idea of incorporating something to recognize their heritage to a small part of the day. We are also getting married right next to (possibly on) native land in the Okanagan in BC.
My question: I have heard about a “Blanket Ceremony” - what I know so far is that a Chief Elder makes a short speech, possibly in the native language, then all guests stand in a circle around the couple. There is a special blanket that gets wrapped around the bride and groom to symbolize the couples dedication to filling their lives with peace and happiness. Has anybody seen this ceremony before? Do you know anything about it?
This would be a small part of the ceremony, the rest would be a more traditional ceremony with chairs, an officiant, etc. We are not religious, so no worries about religious conflicts between officiants.

6 Comments

Latest activity by Sonja, on October 11, 2017 at 22:11
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it would be so nice to honour your FH's heritage. I've never seen the blanket ceremony but I'm sure the relatives would really like it.

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That sounds like a very lovely idea!
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Very nice!! love the idea of incorporating that into your ceremony.

• Ashley
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think this sounds beautiful and that the mother in law and ypir fiance will appreciate it more than anything! Go for it 💙
  • Alexa
    Frequent user December 2017 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It sounds beautiful! And so meaningful. I booked a "Celebrant" officiant, I hadn't heard of it before. A new type of ceremony officiant who can include all kinds of rituals or traditions. I would suggest seeing if theres any certified celebrant officiants in your area. And also check out videos online like Brenda said. I bet your ceremony will be truly magical. All the best with the planning!
  • Brenda
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Brenda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Very nice. We moved up to North Western Ontario and have many reserves here it is said to be a very beautiful ceremony. I never attended but my niece (my nephews fiance)is First Nations. Maybe there are a few videos on youtube or even on Native sites. Sounds wonderful best wishes for you and your fiance.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics