Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erin
Master September 2017 Ontario

Nail biting - how to stop

Erin, on September 13, 2017 at 10:25 Posted in Beauty 0 20
Hi all! I need some help. I have been a nail and cuticle biter and picker for years!! I want to have nice nails for the wedding but stress doesn't help things. Has anyone ever beaten this habit? If so, how? Really appreciate any input!

20 Comments

Latest activity by Heather, on October 3, 2017 at 12:34
  • Heather
    Newbie October 2018 Ontario
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did it!!

Nail biting - how to stop - 1
  • Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow those are nice!
  • Heather
    Newbie October 2018 Ontario
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel your pain! I just got engaged and I’m determined to show off my ring with nice nails so I’m mind over matter right now until I can get them professionally done... I’m almost there!! Good luck!
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Powder dip manicures for the win!!! It is the only thing that has finally broken my nail-biting habit!

The powder manicures are all called something slightly different based on the brand (my salon calls them SNS manicures), but they are hard as rock and I literally can not bite them. The polish doesn't peel or chip off, it stays on totally solid. The manicure lasts forever so it wasn't a huge hit to my monthly budget either.

Seriously - these are my nails right now at work - I had my nails done on August 30th!!!!

Powder manicure

• L
    Curious October 2018 New Brunswick
    Lyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello! 😊 I used to get super anxious and chew on my nails too. I started breaking the habit by applying nail polish remover to my nails lol. I'd get grossed out and it would make me stop and think about how bad nail biting really is. I tried to make myself aware of what I was doing and would force myself to keep my hands busy (ex: stress ball, coloring, writing, cleaning...) Eventually I just got over it. Hopefully you find something that works for you! ❤
  • Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with the other ladies, get your nails professionally done, get tips and bio gel put on. the bio gel helps your nails grow and stay healthy underneath the fake nail. I did this a few months ago because I wanted nice nails for the wedding as well, and my nails are healthy and strong for my wedding manicure!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

GET YOUR NAILS DONE! Get a gel overlay on your own nails and it will stop you right away! This is what has saved my hands and my nails. I was SOOOO bad for biting everything on my hands.. and I'm a nurse. So I knew I had to stop. I know it's not very "sanitary" to have gel nails as a nurse but with the type of nursing I do it's not bad. I don't really touch my patients ever as I'm just basically there to give out meds. But honestly.. get them done as soon as you can to help save your hands before your big day.

• Kila
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Get your nails done professionally . When I get gel nails I am very unlikely to bite . But I get it I donut when I'm nervous!
  • Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I will try this.

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I file my cuticles down once or twice a week so there's nothing to bite. It also makes my nails much healthier since there is nothing to pick, which makes for a stronger base for shellac as well.

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I only bite my nails if I am super stressed out, but for me having on gel nails with shellac, really helps because I can't actually bite them.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've never been a nail biter but I chew on my cuticles. Keeping my nails manicured (I do my own) has helped. I think the acrylic nails would stop the nail biting and if you do them regularly for a few months, you might break the habit.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Fake nails did it for me. And even having them for your wedding wouldn't be so bad.
  • Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm using some of the nasty tasting stuff now but it's not really working. I think I might just start sporting bandaids or tape my fingers.

• Alanah
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Alanah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This may be dumb but I made a pact with a friend that we would both stop biting our nails. If one of us broke it we had to pay the other money... I haven't bit my nails to this day and that was years ago. I remember when I was a kid my mom used to put this nail polish on my sister's nails that tasted horrible to try to stop her from biting her nails. It didn't work for her but it might work or you I'm pretty sure they still sell it.
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The only thing that worked for me is keeping my nails painted. At first, I would pick off all the polish and eventually that stopped too. Since the wedding is so soon, I would just give yourself a break and make an appointment to get acrylics for the day and put cuticle cream on your hands every night!

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've tried acrylics before and they do prevent me from picking but they have always been murder on my nails. I also feel like it doesn't really break the habit so much as delay it but thanks for the advice.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I can SO relate to this. I am not a nail biter, but I was a cuticle picker. And I've tried everything to stop...stress balls, fidget toys...I even put Vaseline on my cuticles to moisturize them and make them sticky to the touch to stop myself from touching them...it's like a tactile reminder to keep my nails away from them while I'm at my desk.

Honestly, the only thing that works for me is to keep acrylics on. They make my nails thicker and I can't pick at things. And you obviously wouldn't be able to bite them! I find that now instead of picking, I tap my nails when I'm stressed (which probably annoys some people, but I'm usually alone when I do it!)

Find a good clean salon and try getting a pair put on if your budget allows and see if it helps!

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have tried that but it doesn't really seem to work for me and if I get manicures all the time it is expensive. Right now I am working on just keeping my hands busy.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have! The only thing that worked for me was keeping my nails painted. If I have nail polish on it keeps my nails from breaking as much because it makes them stronger, so if they aren't broken I'm much less tempted to bite them. And it's a bit gross to bite a painted nail and get paint everywhere. Does this work for you? How about gel polish?

You could also tell your friends, coworkers, and partner to yell at you when they see you picking - I do that to my DH!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics